Aston Villa V Newcastle Pre-Match Thread 9/2/08 12.45 Kick Off

Jamie

I suspect Villa will line up thus:

Carson

Mellberg - Davies - Laursen - Bouma

Routledge - Reo Coker - Barry - Young

Carew - Maloney

Although rumour has it Gabby may be fit. He has played Maloney off Carew before and it worked (Chelsea away), so I suspect he may try it again.

This assumes Routledge is fit, if not, I suspect he might play Gardner right side midfield.

Would stick by our best player over the last few years who is dropped a little in form but is still a brilliant keeper and better than Harper

When Harper plays people realise how much better Given is

I don't, I realise how much more confident the defence is to have a keeper that makes consistent decisions.  Given's shotstopping has even gone downhill lately.

Guest Deep456

Would stick by our best player over the last few years who is dropped a little in form but is still a brilliant keeper and better than Harper

I don't, I realise how much more confident the defence is to have a keeper that makes consistent decisions.  Given's shotstopping has even gone downhill lately.

All this Given bashing is doing my head in. Don't you realise this constant pressure being put on Given isn't helping. Yes he has had a dip in form, but he will soon get back to his best. Shotstopping and general skills from him are great. Only things that are suspect are his decisions during penalties and his kicking. 

All this Given bashing is doing my head in. Don't you realise this constant pressure being put on Given isn't helping. Yes he has had a dip in form, but he will soon get back to his best. Shotstopping and general skills from him are great. Only things that are suspect are his decisions during penalties and his kicking. 

His kicking has firmly sunk into the 'shite' level now, it's now his positioning that's gradually starting to deteriorate. Really poor decision making during the Boro game, even though he did pull off one or two decent saves (something he'll always do). Really is sad watching him perform so poorly this season.

But in any case, i don't see how there's more pressure on him than before. What a few people on here say is hardly going to effect Given is it? He's not getting jeered by the crowd and probably never will be.

Its a disgrace that people even consider dropping him!Also maybe if we stopped fucking passing the ball back to him,i.e Taylor and Capaca are fucking terrible for it especially who likes to hammer them at him as well!Theres no doubt Shay will be back to his best before long!

This season we are really getting our act together re attendances and starting to show our potential.

12.45 ko, not particularly glam fixture (sorry, but you know what I mean), live on the telly, sold out just under 43k.

I know sell outs have become second nature for you lot over recent years, but finally, FINALLY, we've got bright owners who have stopped us being run like a fucking corner shop, and know exactly how to drag our support out of the coma it has been in for the last 15 years.  Everything is so shiny and nice at the moment.

Anyway, 1-1 draw I reckon, dull as shit match.

This season we are really getting our act together re attendances and starting to show our potential.

12.45 ko, not particularly glam fixture (sorry, but you know what I mean), live on the telly, sold out just under 43k.

I know sell outs have become second nature for you lot over recent years, but finally, FINALLY, we've got bright owners who have stopped us being run like a f****** corner shop, and know exactly how to drag our support out of the coma it has been in for the last 15 years.  Everything is so shiny and nice at the moment.

Anyway, 1-1 draw I reckon, dull as s*** match.

Oi Brummie what ya mean?Your playing a big club live on sky!If its half as nail bitting as the last 15mins as the Boro match will be a cracker irc!

cant believe anyone thinks Shay Given is a brilliant keeper, we're just used to his standard after 10 years

he's decent, no better

Ya...voted twice on the pfas team of the year [2002+2006]with such a shit defence in front of him as well!!I think thats our fans mentality...dying for a chance to shoot the players down..needs to stop!Name the keeper you would prefer to have here who we could sign n place of Given?

cant believe anyone thinks Shay Given is a brilliant keeper, we're just used to his standard after 10 years

he's decent, no better

He was a brilliant keeper. He peaked in the 04/05 season where he was just about the most vital player in the team. He was fantastic that season, voted the Premiership's best in the May. It's such a shame we were shite then.

It's odd because he's only 31 at the moment. Should still have a lot left in him but it seems to be sapping out of him by the game. I bet a lot of it traces back to that injury with Harewood.

he's decent, no better

Ya...voted twice on the pfas team of the year [2002+2006]with such a s*** defence in front of him as well!!I think thats our fans mentality...dying for a chance to shoot the players down..needs to stop!Name the keeper you would prefer to have here who we could sign n place of Given?

name the keeper we could sign?

what the fuck does that have to do with whether or not Given is a brilliant keeper?

he's decent, no better

Ya...voted twice on the pfas team of the year [2002+2006]with such a s*** defence in front of him as well!!I think thats our fans mentality...dying for a chance to shoot the players down..needs to stop!Name the keeper you would prefer to have here who we could sign n place of Given?

what the f*** does that have to do with whether or not Given is a brilliant keeper?

Well...you said Givens only an average keeper so I presume you would prefer a different keeper?

he's decent, no better

what the f*** does that have to do with whether or not Given is a brilliant keeper?

Well...you said Givens only an average keeper so I presume you would prefer a different keeper?

of course i would

i'd also prefer a different striker to Owen and a different DM to Butt

he's decent, no better

of course i would

i'd also prefer a different striker to Owen and a different DM to Butt

In fairness, we have only one player who i'd REALLY want to keep, and only a handful i'd keep if we were a top 6 club.

As for tomorrows game: i think we might scrape a 1-1 draw, as Villa seem slightly subdued recently. This woudl be a good result for us, i reckon.