Aston Villa 4 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/02/08 - post match reaction from page 24

midds

I'm almost too pissed off to post.  I'm behind Keegan but why did he play Carr at left back?  Why leave our best defender on the bench as well in Faye?  Those two decisions, along with refusing to change things during the game, has not only cost us 3 points, its cost us our pride.  We've ended up with a humiliating score line..  I'd have expected this under Allardyce (well, this but with less Football played), but Kev has got to wake up quick and realise a few things, because we have no time for them to sink in slowly.  He has to realise that Carr is a complete joke, he's got to realise that Taylor isn't a particularly good defender and that Smith should be used sparingly at best.

What I'd really like to know is what the fuck does Enrique do when he isn't on the pitch to convince people not to play him?...

are people actually turning on keegan? :lol:

No, i don't think i could ever turn on Keegan. I love the guy to pieces. But in terms of those who were responsible for our loss today, i put him quite high up the ladder.

I think they're turning on those who are blindly clutching their little keegan-head shaped rosary beads and whispering fervent prayers about the messiah.  Keegan cocked up today and anyone who won't admit it deserves some derision. 

Do our players get stoned at half time or something because yet again we come out for the second half and get caught half asleep.

I haven't read all of this thread but if people really are shouting Keegan out then hang your head in embarrassment.

It looked like Carr had had a go on the Bong pipe!

It's pretty simple really.

The team's confidence is very very fragile and their fitness is also not up to scratch. We start games well and at a good tempo, but we can't keep it going into the second half and when the other team comes back into the game we don't have either the heart or strength to cope with it. Once one goal goes in then our heads go down and it's almost inevitable that more will follow. What people on here are either ignoring - or simply to fucking stupid to see, perhaps - is that our good periods are getting better and lasting longer, progress is being made.

At the moment it's not important how badly it goes wrong once it's gone tits-up, it's all about what happens before that point. What we really need is to manage to grab a couple of goals when we're playing well at the start of a game and then scrape home to a win. Once we've done that, you'll see the confidence come flooding back into the team and I reckon we'll go on a bit of a run towards the end of the season. However it's going to take a while and it could go wrong if the players stop believing that it's going to happen. KK will have his work cut out to keep their morale up and if you see us start a game like we've been finishing them, that's when we should start to really worry. For once the fans do actually have a real chance to make a positive difference and hopefully the people who seem to love nothing better than wallowing in our own crapness, by booing the team at the earliest opportunity and going way over the top on here, will either shut up or suffer some unfortunate accident.

Yeah, we're poor at the moment, but we're getting better, there are still positives to be seen.

Stephen Carr should never appear for us again, he's the absolute fucking worst. We all know it, except for some dickheads

Stephen Carr is a liability at Right Back, never mind left back - The thing that worries me is that we now have had two managers

that would play people out of position rather than play Enrique ???

I apologise to all for my earlier rants, it was uncalled for but I'm just mega pissed off.

Not so much that we lost, because I expected us to, but it was the manner of the second half performance.

Lucky we didn't have our usual poor start to the season though, otherwise we'd be royally fecked.

What complete and utter shite. What the fuck was Keegan up to? He's got some explaining to do, said it before the game that it was a poor line-up. Carr was absolutely horrible, one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time. Criminal not to start Faye against Carew.

And then, why the fuck didn't we see any substitutions? Fair enough if he thought Given had a bad game, but that's still a terrible decision when we needed to change the play.

I'm not turning on Keegan, but today was a shambles of the highest order.

KK relies on man management and inspiring players rather than tactical ability but it just isnt happening and we just dont have the tactical nous to fall back on.

You would have to ask looking back why Enrique wasnt playing AGAIN-Faye could have handled Carew and Emre is surely worth a place ahead of Barton., Viduka for Smith was a no brainer.

Agree. With Pearson gone its a good oppurtunity to bring in a assitant manager with good tacticle acumen.

The truth.

I can blame Keegan for his lack of making substitutions early on, he waited too long and put Emre in when the game was already over at 3-1. I blame him for going with Smith all the time. But all of these are details.

Keegan is not to blame in general, we suck, we have been sucking for the most part.

The reason is simple, Sam made some weak signings. Too much of mediocre players, none of them truly great.

We just don't have the overall talent and chemistry to play well, period. Barton, Butt, Smith, Duff (yes duff too) geremi,

the midfield just lacks creativity. Emre is the only creative player, but he isn't playing as well as he can cause he's surrounded with trash. I mean Owen up front with Smith ? It's not like you have a creative midfield so why go small ? Why not 4-4-2 with players that fit that system. Viduka may be slow but at least he doesn't turn it over on every possession. Our biggest problem is our lack of creativity.

Keegan deserves at least a year, cause he's coaching Big Sam's mediocre players. This is probably not HIS vision

of how the squad should look like. I think our goal should be to not relegate, then give Keegan enough money to get the players HE wants, and ditch the ones he doesn't like. Then go with that for at least a year, if it doesn't work get another coach. But for at least a year he should stay, NO MATTER WHAT.

/rant.

i agree

Guest Geordiesned

We could be 16th by 5pm :(

Eh? Is it 5 points for a win these days?

Boro and Bolton are the only 2 teams that can move above us today which would mean lowest position at 5pm would be 14th.

Guest sittingontheball

Aye, once again a lot of decent work undone almost as soon as the second half started.  Game looked depressingly over at 2-1 and lots of time left as well. It would have been nice to see substitutions then.

Still the press will be all over the final outcome, so there's no need to get hysterical and feed the fire. KK has a lot of work to do. That has just been confirmed again.

No Smith next time please Kev!

Stephen Carr should never appear for us again, he's the absolute f****** worst. We all know it, except for some dickheads

Comically bad from a neutral point of view today. Some people were advocating keeping him in the team as our permanent full-back before today aswell. Such a horrible footballer.

So frsutrating because we've got a lot of good players in this squad. Given, Taylor, Carr, Butt, Barton, Smith, Ameobi - all who have played recently, have all been absolute wasters lately. Really am growing in worry now. We're awful.

Butt, Smith and Carr should never appear for us ever again. Taylor should be sold in the summer, had it with him

I think they're turning on those who are blindly clutching their little keegan-head shaped rosary beads and whispering fervent prayers about the messiah.  Keegan cocked up today and anyone who won't admit it deserves some derision. 

Exactly.

Some people are ridiculously quick to absolve Keegan of any blame. Same people have a bit of a complex about anyone daring to not put all the blame at Allardyce's and the player's feet.

I've probably said this in about 4 different forms in this very thread now so I won't say it again.

Exactly.

Some people are ridiculously quick to absolve Keegan of any blame. Same people have a bit of a complex about anyone daring to not put all the blame at Allardyce's and the player's feet.

As ever the answer is somewhere in between the two.

Guest Harry-Norway

Maybe we all shall start supporting West Ham,half the team is ex. Toonplayers    :-)

Honest question, how old are you?

If you are under 15, I can give you some leeway on your comments.

Funny question,but do you like young boys or?????

The performance in the first have wasn't too bad tbh, villa's equaliser very lucky. After that we lacked confidence and a leader at the back a la faye. Still I beleive KK will turn the club around - we need some more points on board to be safe but I strongly believe we won't be dragged into the relegation battle (or are we already in it?). With Martins upfront we might get some points int he away games as he's pacy.

Support the lads - good times will return!