Aston Villa 4 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/02/08 - post match reaction from page 24

midds

Hello.

Just back from the match. The first half today we were utterly, utterly woeful, really terrible, Petrov drifting into the centre all the time, Mellberg having the worst game I've ever seen him have for us, just awful.

Thought you looked solid without really threatening, some of your passing was nice. Half time, us rubbish, you average.

Hats off to MON, though, for totally turning it around in the second half, I thought we were excellent in spells. Harewood was superb (jesus, can't believe I'm saying that), the midfield looked infinitely more balanced without Petrov.

Incidentally, before the game I was walking around the Trinity Road and was surprised to see Mike Ashley and Chris Mort heading towards me. Not knowing what to do, I stuck my hand out and shook his hand. Seems a nice bloke

Loads of our fans recognised him and were getting photos taken with him, and he was all smiles and very friendly indeed. Nice, down to earth chap. Hats off.

We've got some idiots on this forum, Keegan had been here a few weeks and we already see calls for his head.  We played much better first half and fell to bits once Carr, Duff and Given screwed up.

Given should only get back in if Harper is injured, I don't care how good he's been in the past, and he has been good but this season he's been a liability for most of the time.  Carr should never play again, I will absolve Keegan of any blame for him being s*** today because Keegan was forced to play Carr with Beye being away and he hasn't been that bad until today so how would Keegan know what to expect.  Having said that, he's got people here who should have been giving him advice about how poor he's been for most of his time here.

Nicky Butt boils my piss, he's so poor that he's not worth having for 75% of the game as he does nothing positive and gives possession away more often than not.  Smith isn't fit to play for the reserves, he's absolute garbage at best.  Barton isn't a very good footballer, what he has done well at in the past is getting into the opposition box and causing them problems, he's not doing that here so he contributes little or nothing.

I don't blame Keegan at all for today but he's got to learn from this, he's got to learn that at least half of the team he played today should go in the summer.  He's got to drop Given (if not injured), Taylor or Capaca, Carr, Butt, Duff or Milner and Smith for the next game.  Carr (s***), Butt (past it) and Smith (poor player) shouldn't even be at the club next season, I'd also take bids for Given (past it), Barton (head case), Emre (done very little since signing), Duff (see Emre) and Viduka (always injured).

Why not he picked Car instead of Enrique or even Edgar and not picking Faye or even bringing him on as sub to mark Carew which was so obvious to every Toon fan was pathetic. I know he's not been watching us but surely the people around him should advise and he should listen.

As soon as I saw Harewood coming on I immediately though to myself ... we'd better start warming up Faye.

We dealt with Carew alrightish in the first half, but the addittion of Harewood was always going to have our pampers soft defenders all over the place.

We are such a soft team it's embarrassing. No authority at the back. Faye has to be at centre back for us with Cacapa. Taylor just exists on the pitch without really doing much in most games. One goaline clearance every five games does not a defender make.

We've got some idiots on this forum, Keegan had been here a few weeks and we already see calls for his head.  We played much better first half and fell to bits once Carr, Duff and Given screwed up.

Given should only get back in if Harper is injured, I don't care how good he's been in the past, and he has been good but this season he's been a liability for most of the time.  Carr should never play again, I will absolve Keegan of any blame for him being s*** today because Keegan was forced to play Carr with Beye being away and he hasn't been that bad until today so how would Keegan know what to expect.  Having said that, he's got people here who should have been giving him advice about how poor he's been for most of his time here.

Nicky Butt boils my piss, he's so poor that he's not worth having for 75% of the game as he does nothing positive and gives possession away more often than not.  Smith isn't fit to play for the reserves, he's absolute garbage at best.  Barton isn't a very good footballer, what he has done well at in the past is getting into the opposition box and causing them problems, he's not doing that here so he contributes little or nothing.

I don't blame Keegan at all for today but he's got to learn from this, he's got to learn that at least half of the team he played today should go in the summer.  He's got to drop Given (if not injured), Taylor or Capaca, Carr, Butt, Duff or Milner and Smith for the next game.  Carr (s***), Butt (past it) and Smith (poor player) shouldn't even be at the club next season, I'd also take bids for Given (past it), Barton (head case), Emre (done very little since signing), Duff (see Emre) and Viduka (always injured).

Why not he picked Car instead of Enrique or even Edgar and not picking Faye or even bringing him on as sub to mark Carew which was so obvious to every Toon fan was pathetic. I know he's not been watching us but surely the people around him should advise and he should listen.

Yeah but he's relying on Terry Mac isn't he? that says it all really.

Have to say today was all Kegans fault!

I was always for Shearer to be manager but when KK was appointed i was shocked, but delighted and all for it.

Playing Car instead of Enrique today and not playing Faye to mark Carew was nothing short criminal.

I'm disgusted with Kegan today, not surprised Pearson walked out at all.

I would have started Enqique Faye and Emre.

Keegan 0 -  Appalling.

Given - 4 Bad slip cost us big time.

Beye - 6 ok did ok against the very good Young.

Taylor - 4.5  I'm a big fan normally but needed him to keep Carew under wraps and clearly coulden't in Faye's inexplicable absense.

Cacapa - 5.5 ok ish

Car  - 2 Poor not premiership standard and clearly the worst player on the pitch despite his attempted hard work rate.

Milner - 6 One of our better players.

Butt - 5.5 ok ish

Barton - 6 see Milner

Duff 6- See Barton

Smith - 3 Huffed and puffed  but did nothing.

Owen 5.5 Lurked with intent as usual, better service and could have had a few.

Harper - 6 didn't do much wrong

Emre - 6.5  Should have started game was effectively over when he came on. 

bluelaugh.gif

I was always for Shearer to be manager but when KK was appointed i was shocked, but delighted and all for it.

Playing Car instead of Enrique today and not playing Faye to mark Carew was nothing short criminal.

Keegan 0 -  Appalling.

Taylor - 4.5  I'm a big fan normally but needed him to keep Carew under wraps and clearly coulden't in Faye's inexplicable absense.

Cacapa - 5.5 ok ish

Car  - 3 Poor not premiership standard

Butt - 5.5 ok ish

Barton - 6 see Milner

Duff 6- See Barton

f*** your generous with Barton, was he on the field today?

Yes your right and i'm wrong i'll downgrade to a 5  :thup:

Hello.

Just back from the match. The first half today we were utterly, utterly woeful, really terrible, Petrov drifting into the centre all the time, Mellberg having the worst game I've ever seen him have for us, just awful.

Thought you looked solid without really threatening, some of your passing was nice. Half time, us rubbish, you average.

Hats off to MON, though, for totally turning it around in the second half, I thought we were excellent in spells. Harewood was superb (jesus, can't believe I'm saying that), the midfield looked infinitely more balanced without Petrov.

Don't get carried away, he looked good because he was picking on Carr.

As soon as I saw Harewood coming on I immediately though to myself ... we'd better start warming up Faye.

We dealt with Carew alrightish in the first half, but the addittion of Harewood was always going to have our pampers soft defenders all over the place.

We are such a soft team it's embarrassing. No authority at the back. Faye has to be at centre back for us with Cacapa. Taylor just exists on the pitch without really doing much in most games. One goaline clearance every five games does not a defender make.

agreed, Taylor is absolute dogshite, if he was from 'down south' his windows would have been pelted several times by now

Is Terry Mac the luckiest man in football?

Is the question "what exactly does the daft tasched get, actually do?" the most asked in NUFC's history?

Keegan 0 -  Appalling.

Cacapa - 5.5 ok ish

Car  - 2 Poor not premiership standard and clearly the worst player on the pitch despite his attempted hard work rate.

Butt - 5.5 ok ish

Barton - 6 see Milner

Duff 6- See Barton

Wind up, right?

I can absolve Keegan to some degree as he's new here, but what I can't understand is why the staff that have remained have clearly not been screaming at him what we all know; namely Faye being better than anyone else at the club at the back, and very assured in midfield.

Keegan 0 -  Appalling.

Cacapa - 5.5 ok ish

Butt - 5.5 ok ish

Barton - 6 see Milner

Duff 6- See Barton

bluelaugh.gif

I take it that means you agree?

Just got back from the match as well. I agree with his assessment. First half we were really decent, not really threatening but controlling the game, had some decent passing moves and defended well.

The less said about the second half the better. You just knew that after the first one went in, we'd lose another one quickly. Went to sleep and never woke up :(

I fully blame Carr for this one. The first goal he gave the ball away, and for the second goal they got a corner from a launch upfield from Carson because Carr couldn't control the ball. Utterly woeful.

Plus points -

- Owen. Looked good today and got involved. Another nice goal.

- Milner. His dribbling and control of the ball was much better than it's been recently and I was impressed with his workrate.

- Duff. A bright game from him. Always looking to run at their defense and drifted in at opportune times.

- Butt. A really good first half I thought. Disappeared in the second half when we HAD to create things - as usual - but I don't blame him for not being creative.

One last point - Alan Smith :( Jesus christ man, he's got no attacking instinct AT ALL. I don't care how much 'holding up' of the ball he does but he offers NOTHING up front. We might as well stick Ameobi up there because he's bigger and will challenge their defenders more. And even on the rare occasions that Smith is able to hold up the ball, he passes it back right away instead of turning into space (which he could have done a ton of occasions today). I don't see how Martins doesn't start the next game now. Smith offers literally fuck all whilst Martins/Viduka will definitely offer something more, and different.

agreed, Taylor is absolute dogshite, if he was from 'down south' his windows would have been pelted several times by now

I thought he was from down south? It's hard to single out one when the majority of them - I only exclude Milner - were truly shocking.

Keegan 0 -  Appalling.

Cacapa - 5.5 ok ish

Butt - 5.5 ok ish

Barton - 6 see Milner

Duff 6- See Barton

Wind up, right?

What do you disagree with?

Did you boo at half time, Brummie?

Were the fans booing the ref tho?

booing the ref for what?

couple of penalties barton didn't get pulled up for (I remember a handball and a foul but can't remember the specifics)

Did you boo at half time, Brummie?

Were the fans booing the ref tho?

booing the ref for what?

Whooshed perhaps?

What are you on about?

I thought Dev was maybe making a nod towards the media storm about us booing (mainly at the ref) against Boro. Probably not, like.

Edit - obviously not. :laugh: