Aston Villa 4 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/02/08 - post match reaction from page 24

midds

As soon as I saw Harewood coming on I immediately though to myself ... we'd better start warming up Faye.

We dealt with Carew alrightish in the first half, but the addittion of Harewood was always going to have our pampers soft defenders all over the place.

We are such a soft team it's embarrassing. No authority at the back. Faye has to be at centre back for us with Cacapa. Taylor just exists on the pitch without really doing much in most games. One goaline clearance every five games does not a defender make.

agreed, Taylor is absolute dogshite, if he was from 'down south' his windows would have been pelted several times by now

I thought he was from down south? It's hard to single out one when the majority of them - I only exclude Milner - were truly shocking.

Taylor has been shit without criticism for a long time now

I thought the ref was very inconsistent today as well. Could have dished out a few yellows to them but instead gave one to Smith (I think).

The penalty was also rubbish because we had a similar appeal earlier on. No consistency at all.

Having seen the bench, I have to say Keegan fucked this one up. Faye should have been in there for Cacapa, who just couldn't keep up with Carew. And Carr, jesus christ, I have no idea why he was playing today.

As soon as I saw Harewood coming on I immediately though to myself ... we'd better start warming up Faye.

We dealt with Carew alrightish in the first half, but the addittion of Harewood was always going to have our pampers soft defenders all over the place.

We are such a soft team it's embarrassing. No authority at the back. Faye has to be at centre back for us with Cacapa. Taylor just exists on the pitch without really doing much in most games. One goaline clearance every five games does not a defender make.

Agree with all the above. The worrying thing was it didn't take great football to open us up. Any old long ball had us in trouble. Faye has been by a long way our best defender this year, and leaving him out when we knew we were going to be under pressure physically was just a rank bad decision. Okay Keegan is just getting to know his players, but you'd have thought that someone would have advised him about Faye. KK is a bit notorious for ignoring advice though.

Our other big problem is we don't make use of turnovers of possession. We had a bit of luck to go 1-0 so early, and after that in the first half we had a few chances to break upfield when Villa lost the ball. Instead we ended up playing in tiny little triangles to try and keep possession instead of moving the ball forward quickly. It's vital to score when the opportunities are there because we never looked likely to hold on to a 1-0 lead.

agreed, Taylor is absolute dogshite, if he was from 'down south' his windows would have been pelted several times by now

I thought he was from down south? It's hard to single out one when the majority of them - I only exclude Milner - were truly shocking.

Taylor has been shit without criticism for a long time now

I agree with you about him being shit, but your constant thing about him being free of all criticism really grinds on me. It's bullshit. I can't remember a time here where he hasn't been criticised.

Just got back from the game.

We were good 1st half, looked dangerous on attack at times and passed the ball around well. Second half looked like we re trying to soak up pressure, even when we were losing.

Given 5 - Bad form, whats his injury?

Beye 6 - Didn't make a mistake, was good on Young.

Taylor 4 - Constantly looked shaky, never confident.

Cacapa 4 - As above

Carr 2 - Fucking awful, Why wasn't Enrique playing? Edgar is better than Carr. So was Huntington.

Milner 6.5 - Looked lively, good moves with Owen, but no one else to aim for.

Butt 5 - Tried to get stuck in, but not good enough, fortunately Villa CM was pretty shit.

Barton 5 - As above.

Duff 6.5 - See Milner

Owen 6.5 - Looked like he could do damage with better players around him. He will consolidate us in Premiership if he can stay fit.

Smith 0 - No exaggeration, fucking useless. Worse player on pitch. Desperately need Viduka back.

Harper 5 - Made a good save. No chance with penalty.

Emre 5 - As Barton and Butt.

Did you boo at half time, Brummie?

Were the fans booing the ref tho?

booing the ref for what?

Whooshed perhaps?

What are you on about?

I thought Dev was maybe making a nod towards the media storm about us booing (mainly at the ref) against Boro. Probably not, like.

Edit - obviously not. :laugh:

No that's what I was thinking, I remember last week I thought we were most likely booing the ref, thought since they'd had a couple of pen shouts turned down they might be doing the same.

I can absolve Keegan to some degree as he's new here, but what I can't understand is why the staff that have remained have clearly not been screaming at him what we all know; namely Faye being better than anyone else at the club at the back, and very assured in midfield.

Probably why Pearson left ...

Pearson probably took one look at Kev's team sheet for today and thought fuck this!

I thought the ref was very inconsistent today as well. Could have dished out a few yellows to them but instead gave one to Smith (I think).

The penalty was also rubbish because we had a similar appeal earlier on. No consistency at all.

Having seen the bench, I have to say Keegan fucked this one up. Faye should have been in there for Cacapa, who just couldn't keep up with Carew. And Carr, jesus christ, I have no idea why he was playing today.

Smith didnt get booked. I was hoping he would as it would have lead to a suspension.

Taylor has been s*** without criticism for a long time now

I agree with you about him being s***, but your constant thing about him being free of all criticism really grinds on me. It's bullshit. I can't remember a time here where he hasn't been criticised.

the forum aside, people actually seem to believe he's a good defender

FFS

No one is calling for Keegan's head. But he does deserve criticism for his team selection today. Got it very wrong. Stephen f****** Carr?

Keegan was forced to play Carr when Beye was in Africa, Carr didn't let him down so he played a fit Carr in preference to Enrique who is coming back from injury, think about it.

No one is calling for Keegan's head?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=49846.msg1198760#msg1198760

I agree with you about him being s***, but your constant thing about him being free of all criticism really grinds on me. It's bullshit. I can't remember a time here where he hasn't been criticised.

To be fair he's young and was worth giving a solid run in the first team to see what he had about him. It's looking like he is probably too Bramblish but I'd give him another couple of games. Cacapa has his moments as well.

The Villa support was really good. Out of the 6 away games I've been, they've been the best so far :thup:

Our away support was also really good, as usual.

Villa fans were pretty shite untill 3-1 tbh.

Having seen the bench, I have to say Keegan f***** this one up. Faye should have been in there for Cacapa, who just couldn't keep up with Carew. And Carr, jesus christ, I have no idea why he was playing today.

That statement kills me because although Cacapa was having a tough time, he still made a lot of tackles and interceptions. He was present. He was involved. He stood up to be counted.

Where was Taylor? I honestly can't remember a single thing he did today. He was in hiding of course, letting Cacapa take all the heat.

He gets away with it time and time again.

To be fair he's young and was worth giving a solid run in the first team to see what he had about him. It's looking like he is probably too Bramblish but I'd give him another couple of games. Cacapa has his moments as well.

Taylor's played over 100 games for the club and hasn't really improved at all tbf.

The Villa support was really good. Out of the 6 away games I've been, they've been the best so far :thup:

Our support was dead until the equaliser. Yours was pretty good after the goal (well, it would be, wouldn't it) - probably behind Man U as the loudest this season.

We were incredibly nervous after the shit run of performances we have had, but after the equaliser it was pretty good.

Our support was dead until the equaliser. Yours was pretty good after the goal (well, it would be, wouldn't it) - probably behind Man U as the loudest this season.

We were incredibly nervous after the shit run of performances we have had, but after the equaliser it was pretty good.

A team can always rely on Newcastle United for a fillip. :(

Wow. Not really on the same wavelength as you there.

He's been here a few weeks so I can understand why he played some of the players which have brought him some criticism.

As I said, I’ll blame him if he picks the same players against Man U as he picked today, although he’ll have no option but to pick some of them as we’re so thin on numbers.

Can we not just bite the bullet and drop Smith and Barton?  Absolute shite players who cant retain or distribute the ball.  Barton would be lucky to get a game at Hartlepool at the moment.  Butt is terrible but unless we can get Faye in as the holding midfielder, Butt has to stay in as the worst of a shit bunch.

I am resigned to the fact that I will never get to see a back four who are playing in their right positions.

Out of the current crop of flops I'd like to see a lineup of:

Given

Enrique

Taylor

Cacapa

Beye

N'Zogbia  LM

Faye        DM

Emre        

Milner

Viduka

Martins/Owen

Subs:

Harper

Duff

Martins/Owen

Geremi

Edgar

Guest shaun11177

Taylor will never improve until he has an experienced good leader playing alongside him. Cacapa for me looks like he is ready for the knackers yard.

Give O'Neill his due he made the necessary changes while Keegan just sat there and McDermott looked like he was falling asleep, but i also remember O'Neill had a bad start as Manager so no-one is calling for Keegans head but that doesnt mean he is immune from criticism..

Taylor's played over 100 games for the club and hasn't really improved at all tbf.

Well true, he's probably not good enough. Shame. Would be nice to have a couple of genuine toon juniors actually make it at Newcastle.