Aston Villa 4 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/02/08 - post match reaction from page 24

midds

Just got back from the game. I only saw one clear problem and that was we had no confidence in front of goal. We only got 2 shots on target - one goal and one Barton shot which was comfortably saved. We needed to test Carson whenever we could! All of Villas goals were sloppy and defensively we were very edgy when the ball entered the 18 yard box!

Without a doubt Faye and Enrique should have played - I was baffled why they didn't get a game! Faye could have kept Carew at bay and I doubt he would of got even close to a hatrick!

From.com and hard to disagree:

Villafied

Aston Villa  4  Newcastle  1

An absolutely shambolic second half showing at Villa Park left no-one in any doubt that the remainder of this season is now a fight against relegation.

Michael Owen's fourth minute opener should have provided a platform for United to build on against a very ordinary Villa side who struggled to threaten us in a surprisingly comfortable first 45 minutes.

Two quick goals after the break sent us into an alarming downward spiral with the third goal taking us to a new level of defensive incompetence.

And as for Stephen Carr's handball for the fourth.... Words aren't adequate to describe the stupidity of this rotten right back who is twice as bad at left back.

Joey Barton and Alan Smith are two players not good enough to be anywhere near a first team place, based on performance, but this threadbare squad is struggling to suggest any replacements.

On today's second half showing, you'd even welcome back Geremi. That's how desperate it was.

If Mark Viduka was fit enough to be on the bench, then why he didn't replace Smith is an absolute mystery. He certainly couldn't have been any worse at holding up the ball.

All we can say is we hope you took advantage of Paddy Power's 12/1 on Owen to score first. It was the only possible consolation from this nightmare.

12. the beasts - 29 points

13. Us - 28 points

14. Albania-on-wear - 26 points

15. Bolton - 25 points

16. Wigan - 23 points

17. Birmingham - 22 points

-----------------------------------------

18. Reading - 22 points

19. Fulham - 19 points

20. Derby - 9 points

in theory, we should escape, but the next few games are going to see us dangerously close to the relegation zone.

From.com and hard to disagree:

Villafied

Aston Villa  4  Newcastle  1

An absolutely shambolic second half showing at Villa Park left no-one in any doubt that the remainder of this season is now a fight against relegation.

Michael Owen's fourth minute opener should have provided a platform for United to build on against a very ordinary Villa side who struggled to threaten us in a surprisingly comfortable first 45 minutes.

Two quick goals after the break sent us into an alarming downward spiral with the third goal taking us to a new level of defensive incompetence.

And as for Stephen Carr's handball for the fourth.... Words aren't adequate to describe the stupidity of this rotten right back who is twice as bad at left back.

Joey Barton and Alan Smith are two players not good enough to be anywhere near a first team place, based on performance, but this threadbare squad is struggling to suggest any replacements.

On today's second half showing, you'd even welcome back Geremi. That's how desperate it was.

If Mark Viduka was fit enough to be on the bench, then why he didn't replace Smith is an absolute mystery. He certainly couldn't have been any worse at holding up the ball.

All we can say is we hope you took advantage of Paddy Power's 12/1 on Owen to score first. It was the only possible consolation from this nightmare.

Nail on head. 

12. the beasts - 29 points

13. Us - 28 points

14. Albania-on-wear - 26 points

15. Bolton - 25 points

16. Wigan - 23 points

17. Birmingham - 22 points

-----------------------------------------

18. Reading - 22 points

19. Fulham - 19 points

20. Derby - 9 points

in theory, we should escape, but the next few games are going to see us dangerously close to the relegation zone.

Christ, that is scary!   

Utterly pathetic and poor performance right from the off: Why he chose to play Carr at left back is beyond me....gave a 90 minute performance of utter ineptness....the same applies for Given, Butt, Barton and Smith. We all knew fully well that Villa rely on set pieces so its beyond me why KK overlooked Faye and Enrique.

Can't see us picking up anything from our next 3 fixtures......its very worrying at the moment

Utterly pathetic and poor performance right from the off: Why he chose to play Carr at left back is beyond me....gave a 90 minute performance of utter ineptness....the same applies for Given, Butt, Barton and Smith. We all knew fully well that Villa rely on set pieces so its beyond me why KK overlooked Faye and Enrique.

Can't see us picking up anything from our next 3 fixtures......its very worrying at the moment

???

Guest neesy111

ffs, we we're the best team by a good margin 1st half

???

Ok the first 10 mins apart.......we didnt really do much else after that....the 2nd half was a complete joke though and quite frankly its unnaceptable.

it was a case of Villa taking the entire 1st half to get going..once they did it was a familiar theme, we lost shape, belief and were cluecless

What worries me is the number of supporters STILL stuck in the "We won't go down" mentality - the Smithism the team is suffering from is sending us tumbling down the league as others are slowly picking up points.

What worries me is the number of supporters STILL stuck in the "We won't go down" mentality - the Smithism the team is suffering from is sending us tumbling down the league as others are slowly picking up points.

I know it's an almost arrogance from some in here that think we're safe.

I said we would be dragged into the relegation dog fight when we were 14 points clear of it and got lauged at

completely agree...we're in a relegation battle.....no win in the last 9 matches....three tough games coming up, its roll your sleeves up time

it was a case of Villa taking the entire 1st half to get going..once they did it was a familiar theme, we lost shape, belief and were cluecless

As I said earlier, the first half was as bad as I have seen us play since MON joined the club, we were toilet.

I thought you actually showed signs of starting a decent passing game at times. What shocked me was the way you imploded so easily.

I don;t want to underestimate the fact that MON changed the game with his substitutions and HT talk - he did - but you looked in the first half like you'd give us a game in the second.

As I said earlier, the first half was as bad as I have seen us play since MON joined the club, we were toilet.

I thought you actually showed signs of starting a decent passing game at times. What shocked me was the way you imploded so easily.

I don;t want to underestimate the fact that MON changed the game with his substitutions and HT talk - he did - but you looked in the first half like you'd give us a game in the second.

Give credit to MON for changing things around, but sadly we didnt adapt our play to counter the changes that were made by Villa, tactically it was poor from us: sadly its one of the elements of keegans managerial skills that really worries me

Give credit to MON for changing things around, but sadly we didnt adapt our play to counter the changes that were made by Villa, tactically it was poor from us: sadly its one of the elements of keegans managerial skills that really worries me

It wasn't tactics it was performances. The players could have been playing any formation, told to do anything; they just weren't good enough today. The most damaging thing of all is that their equaliser was extremely fortunate yet sufficient to destroy our confidence. After that it was a circus.

One thing though that I can't understand is why Taylor will let a player continue a run (Young on the left today) while he scampers back towards the penalty to defend the cross that is now inevitable because he's let the player make the run. He did this against Arsenal on one occasion too in the cup match.

There's a problem up front, because although Smith is our best target man, he doesn't look likely to score. Viduka is the better bet to get goals, but he can be completely dominated by a decent centre back. A lot of people are saying he should have played, but you have to remember how he got blotted out of the game by Laursen at SJP.

I'd seriously give Shola a chance. There's nothing to lose because virtually nothing is happening for us up front at the moment. Shola may be clumsy, but there will be 2 or 3 times in a game where he'll use his strength or his footwork to create something for himself out of nothing. Situations can arise where he's actually difficult to stop, and I'd settle for that because the current alternatives look so poor.

There's a problem up front, because although Smith is our best target man, he doesn't look likely to score. Viduka is the better bet to get goals, but he can be completely dominated by a decent centre back. A lot of people are saying he should have played, but you have to remember how he got blotted out of the game by Laursen at SJP.

I'd seriously give Shola a chance. There's nothing to lose because virtually nothing is happening for us up front at the moment. Shola may be clumsy, but there will be 2 or 3 times in a game where he'll use his strength or his footwork to create something for himself out of nothing. Situations can arise where he's actually difficult to stop, and I'd settle for that because the current alternatives look so poor.

i'd be suprised if Oba isnt in the 11 against Man U:

tbh it was a combination of both poor tactics (team selection etc) and poor individual performances

I'm not sure the selection was bad; I might have preferred Faye at the back because of his physical presence and I know Villa capitalised on this in the second-half. I ask myself, though ,which of their goals I would describe as top class; probably the second although nobody put Carew under pressure. The first was unfortunate, the other two were down to inept performance by our players. There was no need for Butt to head the ball straight to Carew, there was no need for the hand-ball.