Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Fairly sure that the second will be Warnock. The third MUST be a centre midfielder, hopefully Baptista, at a guess... Larsson.

Baptista's agent said the deal is nearly agreed to take him to Roma.

Xavi would be our "big name signing" if we got him, but howay lads really? IF and its a big IF he wants to move to England they will be lining up to sign him, he won't choose us over the bigger clubs.

I think I would prefer a striker over a midfielder, although we really need both (well 2 midfielders).

I think midfield is a much higher priority.  The problem with the strikers is that our first choice (Owen, Viduka) are injury prone, whereas the problem with the midfielders is that our first choice (Butt, Geremi) just aren't very good.  You can take a gamble on fitness, but not on bad players. 

But ideally, both should be addressed.  The one thing we definitely shouldn't be wasting time on is another defender (after Colo).

Xavi would be our "big name signing" if we got him, but howay lads really? IF and its a big IF he wants to move to England they will be lining up to sign him, he won't choose us over the bigger clubs.

Why are you even entertaining such shite?

Why are you even entertaining such shite?

:lol:

Yea im pretty sure Chelsea would find the funds for him, if not them then Arsenal or Liverpool would buy him.

He's Barca throu and throu thou aint he?

If none of the top 4 wanted him im pretty sure a european giant in Italy would snap him up.

Xavi for Newcastle. You're having laugh. About as likely as Michael Owen leaving Real Madrid to sign for a team who just finished in the bottom half of the Premier League when his home town club are interested.

Xavi for Newcastle. You're having laugh. About as likely as Michael Owen leaving Real Madrid to sign for a team who just finished in the bottom half of the Premier League when his home town club are interested.

I doubt Chester City had that sort of money kicking around tbf.

Yep its EXACTLY the same.

Slightly tongue in cheek I admit. Point is that sometimes timing and circumstance combine to make a player end up at a club, when his ability would suggest he would never have even considered them. Tevez etc.

Again the Tevez thing was dodgy as fuck, him and Javier were soon out of there and playing at clubs more their level. This is a mature international owned solely by a club and someone who could quite easily sign for dozens of teams who are a lot better of than us at the moment.

Hope that didn't sound a bit too MaetihS :D

Again the Tevez thing was dodgy as fuck, him and Javier were soon out of there and playing at clubs more their level. This is a mature international owned solely by a club and someone who could quite easily sign for dozens of teams who are a lot better of than us at the moment.

Hope that didn't sound a bit too MaetihS :D

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will happen.

BUT - if Xavi fancies a big money move to set him up for life, the obvious choice is the Premier League. Regardless of your view of Chelsea etc. the top three teams can only have 11 players on the pitch. Man Utd want a striker and thats it for this season. Chelsea have Ballack and Lampard and Essien to fit into the midfield. I don't think Arsenal are looking for a big money midfield signing.

Having said that, wouldn't want him anyway, he's shite. I wouldn't want to unsettle the Geremi/Butt/Guthrie combination which is just starting to gell.

Falling somewhere in between a Championship player desperate for a move to any club in the top flight and a world class Champions League winner, how about this fella?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jérémy_Toulalan

Young, French international, great reputation.  Would be expensive, but fits the bill I think. 

Very good player & I'd love him here but i think his next move will be a to a far bigger/better team than we are currently. Be ideal for Arsenal.