Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Campbell, Veloso, Lennon would definetely work.

Given/Harper

Beye Campbell Faye Enrique

Lennon Veloso Barton N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

why not? or maybe another attacking midfielder.

15 million? A bit steep i'd say.... but i suppose we're paying for the player he'll become rather than the unfinished article that he is now.

Thats the going rate for a potential star and he's already got 5 full caps for Portugal.

Fair enough

Not sure if its been posted but.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/08/BWINLiga-Veloso-chase-hots-up/

Newcastle United are understood to have entered the chase to sign Sporting star Miguel Veloso.

The highly-rated Portugal international has previously been linked with Manchester United and Tottenham but reports in his homeland claim Newcastle are the only club to make a firm approach for his services.

Sporting chief Filipe Soares Franco is extremely reluctant to allow the classy midfielder to leave and fresh terms are on the table in Lisbon.

However, sources suggest Newcastle are willing to offer around 20 million (around £15 million) for Veloso, with a five-year contract ready to be drawn up at St James' Park.

Sporting have previously suggested they would not sell for less than 30 million (£23.5 million) so any deal could still be a long way off.

Newcastle watched the 21-year-old in action during the Uefa Cup tie with Rangers at Ibrox and were impressed with his performance.

Nevertheless, manager Kevin Keegan has admitted it is difficult to persuade his targets to head for Tyneside with Luka Modric recently opting for Tottenham instead despite a more lucrative deal being tabled by The Magpies.

Keegan is to hold crunch talks with owner Mike Ashley after his recent comments about the harsh reality of the situation at the club amid reports that Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez's thoughts on the transfer market differ to those of the manager

Now this would be some timely good news.

Classy player with a fantastic left foot. His set pieces are a thing of beauty.

was that not where hugo 'flatter to deceive' viana came from?

Yes and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Nani came from there also.

What kind of cretin writes off a player based on him coming from a club where one of our less succesful players came from.

Bizare concept.

What kind of cretin writes off a player based on him coming from a club where one of our less succesful players came from.

Bizare concept.

Thought the same... just stupid. Sporting has got one of the best (if not the best) youth setups in Europe with loads of talented players.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/08/BWINLiga-Veloso-chase-hots-up/

Newcastle United are understood to have entered the chase to sign Sporting star Miguel Veloso.

The highly-rated Portugal international has previously been linked with Manchester United and Tottenham but reports in his homeland claim Newcastle are the only club to make a firm approach for his services.

Sporting chief Filipe Soares Franco is extremely reluctant to allow the classy midfielder to leave and fresh terms are on the table in Lisbon.

However, sources suggest Newcastle are willing to offer around 20 million (around £15 million) for Veloso, with a five-year contract ready to be drawn up at St James' Park.

Sporting have previously suggested they would not sell for less than 30 million (£23.5 million) so any deal could still be a long way off.

Newcastle watched the 21-year-old in action during the Uefa Cup tie with Rangers at Ibrox and were impressed with his performance.

Nevertheless, manager Kevin Keegan has admitted it is difficult to persuade his targets to head for Tyneside with Luka Modric recently opting for Tottenham instead despite a more lucrative deal being tabled by The Magpies.

Keegan is to hold crunch talks with owner Mike Ashley after his recent comments about the harsh reality of the situation at the club amid reports that Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez's thoughts on the transfer market differ to those of the manager

Similar to Modric in calibre (based solely in what i've heard).

Lest hope, if we are in for him, we don't make the same mistakes we did with Modric. I signed this guy on FM (no relavance to his talent ;)) and TBF he is one of the most highly rated young players in europe.

I'm hopefull about the calibre we seem to be after but sceptical about which ones will come through the door.

Bizare concept.

Couldn't agree more. How can we be optimistic is signing young players if we are going to relate them to our flops?

Veloso looks like a very good player, I was particularly impressed with him during the U21s Championship. He can defend in both midfield and at the centre of defence (although he lacks height in that position) and like someone said before his set pieces are almost always threatening. He can pass both short and long range and seems very level headed on the ball. Of course his price tag is always going to be high, this is the sort of player who has attracted interest from literally the world's biggest clubs.

Lest hope, if we are in for him, we don't make the same mistakes we did with Modric. I signed this guy on FM (no relavance to his talent ;)) and TBF he is one of the most highly rated young players in europe.

I'm hopefull about the calibre we seem to be after but sceptical about which ones will come through the door.

Yeah I'm not sure someone of his calibre/ reputation will sign for us.  It would be great if he came but realistically we need to sign players that will get us into europe then we can start fishing for so called wonder kids.

i wasn't trying to relate them to one of our flops, as to the fact that we had actually attracted a young midfielder from portugal, sporting in particular, meaning we might be able to do it again.

We had one of their old managers (that Viana looked up to) and Champions League football at the time though.

Yeah I'm not sure someone of his calibre/ reputation will sign for us.   It would be great if he came but realistically we need to sign players that will get us into europe then we can start fishing for so called wonder kids.

In contrast we can't lose ambition because we aren't in Europe. Veloso would have been around when we played sporting in the UEFA cup (albeit as a bairn), he will know of us, we also played them in a friendly.

However, i agree with the sentiment that we need to get to europe then pick up these players.

BTW, noone on this earth could convince me that we are not a bigger draw than Villa, Pompey, Blackburn, Man City and Everton. Spurs i can understand because of the london factor but not the others, that alone puts in with a good shout for these players.

Yeah I'm not sure someone of his calibre/ reputation will sign for us.   It would be great if he came but realistically we need to sign players that will get us into europe then we can start fishing for so called wonder kids.

In contrast we can't lose ambition because we aren't in Europe. Veloso would have been around when we played sporting in the UEFA cup (albeit as a bairn), he will know of us, we also played them in a friendly.

However, i agree with the sentiment that we need to get to europe then pick up these players.

BTW, noone on this earth could convince me that we are not a bigger draw than Villa, Pompey, Blackburn, Man City and Everton. Spurs i can understand because of the london factor but not the others, that alone puts in with a good shout for these players.

Agreed, I'm not saying we shouldn't go for these players,  we should,  we just need to have plenty of back up plans if it doesn't work.