Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest sondre

But there's going to be a change of management at Bayern before the start of the season, so maybe he thinks he'll get a better chance at first team football under Klinsmann?

Hopefully not. Then we raid them for him and Schweinsteiger:D

You've obviously seen him play, and not just looked at the supposed fee then. Is he any good?

25 years old, unheard of, not in top flight football playing for s**** team, glad you are happy.

Clap and applaud like a seal.  :clap:

Sounds like Drogba's career in an even sh*tter league tbh.

You've obviously seen him play, and not just looked at the supposed fee then. Is he any good?

25 years old, unheard of, not in top flight football playing for s**** team, glad you are happy.

Clap and applaud like a seal.  :clap:

Sounds like Drogba's career in an even sh*tter league tbh.

Sounds like the 1000 other nobodies careers tbh.

Nice to pick one out though and use him as an example, sure it will turn out like that, no doubt about it.

Les Ferdinand hadn't done much up until 25-26, and Ian Wright.

That's it then, nailed on superstar we have here, certainly worth the season ticket price hike.

Is this something to do with that 21 year old Spanish scout of ours who found a bunch of cheap obscure players good enough to make Racing Santander a top 6 club in Spain?

I'm just messing man. Hope to hell we're after better than this.

Don't know anything about the player, but as a rule I am more impressed that we are targeting players who aren't 'names' because that indicates we are doing our homework.

Don't know anything about the player, but as a rule I am more impressed that we are targeting players who aren't 'names' because that indicates we are doing our homework.

Shushy.

Is this something to do with that 21 year old Spanish scout of ours who found a bunch of cheap obscure players good enough to make Racing Santander a top 6 club in Spain?

Na, it's probably just a load of bollocks.

Shushy.

I was going to compare with a time when perhaps we didn't do our homework but then the thread will be completely shagged so ... :-X

http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa=t&ct=uk/0-0&fp=484d9dd48ec7dc42&ei=UwhNSNXHGprUQbHKlYIL&url=http%3A//www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/06/09/toe-the-linekev-89520-20600783/&cid=1220677339&usg=AFQjCNFRhEIDurMWv_Trg8N2V2GrVggfnA

I am not convinced KK will be signing anyone..

TOE THE LINEKEV

TOON D-DAY CHIEF LAYS DOWN LAW Ashley will warn Keegan he must Wise up to who calls the Toon

By Simon Bird  9/06/2008

Kevin Keegan yesterday defiantly vowed to stay at Newcastle for "at least" the next three years.

But billionaire owner Mike Ashley will sit down with him at an 11am summit in London today and lay down the law after being angered by comments made by his manager.

Keegan, 57, tried to dismiss fears over his future at St James' Park - but there are serious issues which must be addressed and resolved.

Furious Ashley will demand that Keegan never takes him on publicly again. The Toon gaffer expressed his disappointment that Michael Owen's contract had not been sorted out six weeks after he demanded that the England striker be tied down on a long-term deal.

Advertisement

Keegan complained earlier this week: "Maybe the owner thinks we can bridge that gap to the top four - but we can't.

"Six weeks ago I told them to tie Michael up and it has not happened yet. Disappointing, but not the end of the world."

The former England boss will also have to explain a quip that he had a great relationship with his owner... "because I never speak to him."

Neither Ashley nor Keegan expect this meeting to end in a parting of the ways, but Keegan will be told he has to work within the club's new managerial structure, alongside executive director of football Dennis Wise and 'Mr Fixit' Tony Jimenez, in charge of player recruitment.

Keegan will be left in no doubt he will not be given free reign to run the club his own way.

He will also be informed of budgets and wage structures that Newcastle must adhere to in buying players this summer and in future years.

Keegan yesterday moved to assured Geordie punters that the club should be well placed to gun for fifth place in the Premier League next season.

He will try to placate Sports Direct tycoon Ashley that he has not lost his long-term ambition of returning the club to the top four - despite admitting last weekend that his side are currently "a million miles away".

The pair will be joined in London by Wise, and a senior source close to Ashley says the meeting will also be used to map out the aims for the next three years, including finalising this summer's transfer targets.

Keegan insisted there is absolutely no reason why he would leave the club now, having got through a rollercoaster four months in charge.

It started with 10 games without a win, but ended with the club's topflight safety in no jeopardy.

And he hinted that he may stay beyond the duration of his contract, which has another three seasons to run, if he gets the club on a roll, because he'd still only be 60. Keegan was in a jovial mood and said he is not concerned about meeting Ashley.

When it was pointed out how hot it was in the sunshine at Newcastle's training ground, Keegan quipped: "Not as hot as the seat I am in!"

And as he outlined his intention to be on transfer duty at St James' Park until the end of May, he joked: "You're going to miss me when I'm gone." And after a dramatic pause, adding: "... on holiday!"

Keegan, who spoke to Ashley on Monday, said: "I am looking forward to talking to him.

"I've got three years, I am looking forward to the next three years - at least - I'll only be 60 then, you know.

"I've never thought to myself 'what have I done by coming here?' I have really enjoyed coming back to the club I love.

"Newcastle is the fifth-biggest club in this country with its fan base and everything else. It's not unreasonable for the manager of this football club to believe that he can finish fifth. Normally, it would be too much in one step, but this club is one of the few which could do it in one step if everything is right."

An early test of who runs the club's transfer policy could be Keegan's desire to sign Sol Campbell from Portsmouth, where the 33-year-old has one year left on his contract.

Keegan is a huge admirer of Campbell from England duty, but knows it will be tough luring the defender away from the FA Cup finalists, who could be playing in Europe next season.