Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Getting more worried even for a pessimist like me; Emana prefers lowly Betis to us. Thought he is a realistic target...

Does he? Or did we just not bid for him?

"I need a new challenge to boost my career," Emana told skysports.com.

"I know there are many contacts. The most interesting recent one was Newcastle United.

"My club want more money (from Betis), around €8million."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11800_3677815,00.html

Guest MaetihS

Getting more worried even for a pessimist like me; Emana prefers lowly Betis to us. Thought he is a realistic target...

Does he? Or did we just not bid for him?

"I need a new challenge to boost my career," Emana told skysports.com.

"I know there are many contacts. The most interesting recent one was Newcastle United.

"My club want more money (from Betis), around €8million."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11800_3677815,00.html

cool!! admit i read the headline only from newsnow which says him preferring Betis to us.

It's a strange one with Given now; he's understandably one of my all-time favourite Newcastle players - he's the only number 1 i've ever known really, since being old enough to understand. I'd love to see him finish his career here...

... but i really would have Harper as my first choice next season, and it's probably about time to move on from Given imo, and Harper's never going to be as good as him - he's older too. Shay's injury prone now.

Is Krul the real deal? If so, i'd take a decent fee for Given tbh, reluctantly.

Reading a Euro 2008 preview on a Spanish website, came across this...

http://joinfutbol.com/es/eren_derdiyok_suiza_el_jugador_mas_joven_de_la_eurocopa_11966.php

According to that we've bid €3.25m for Eren Derdiyok (19 year-old Swiss striker).

Certainly wouldn't say no for that price, from what I've seen.

Watching him, he reminds me a LOT of James Vaughan but not quite as good. If only Vaughan wasn't a sicknote.

Orlando Engelaar looked impressive the other day against Italy. He's a giant at 6'5 and looks good on his feet with the sight for a good pass and bravery to get stuck in.

Would like to see him in the centre of our midfield.

Orlando Engelaar looked impressive the other day against Italy. He's a giant at 6'5 and looks good on his feet with the sight for a good pass and bravery to get stuck in.

Would like to see him in the centre of our midfield.

Well you never will.

Guest elpapi

put engelaar in a worse team and he'll fail... didn't even make it in the Belgian league as it's more physical than the Dutch league... if he has to run, he's ****ed! some team is going to spend silly money on him after this Euro, it better be Schalke (who have his former manager Rutten at Twente)...

put engelaar in a worse team and he'll fail... didn't even make it in the Belgian league as it's more physical than the Dutch league... if he has to run, he's ****ed! some team is going to spend silly money on him after this Euro, it better be Schalke (who have his former manager Rutten at Twente)...

This is what I think. Don't think he'd work out for us at all.

He only just started playing as a DM hence the success. He didn't make it in Belgium because he was still a striker.

Nailed on to be joining Schalke it seems so we don't have to worry about getting him or not.

Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur chase Celtic and Rangers goalkeepers

By Roddy Forsyth

Last Updated: 1:32am BST 12/06/2008

Both Old Firm goalkeepers could find themselves in the Premier League next season as Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur track Allan McGregor of Rangers and Arsene Wenger considers the possibility of making a move for Celtic's Artur Boruc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2008/06/12/sfnsco112.xml

------------------------------------------------------------

Newcastle United look at Serie A Bosman

06:13 June, 12, 2008

Newcastle United Football Club hope to seal a Bosman free transfer for a Serie A ace.

Kevin Keegan is desperate to bolster his leaky back four ahead of the new season, and he looks to solve the age-old problem of the Magpies defence which has cost them so many times in the past.

And although he has a healthy budget to use during the summer window, yet ironically, one of his top choices is Roma’s former Everton centre-half Matteo Ferrari.

However, Keegan will have to act swiftly as the 28-year-old is attracting interest from AC Milan.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=186344

Would rather keep him one less player needed

We've essentially coped with Harper and Forster as our keepers for the majority of the season; we could cope with Harper, Krul and Forster.

Volkan seem canny goalkeeper though...

I thought he looked dodgy as f***.

nope... did the right thing by punching the ball always... at wet surface... the first game i though he's canny also...not world class goalkeeper but certainly better than the likes of robinson

Guest Heneage

Wasn't Ferrari supposed to be mint at Everton?

Erm not really, Ferrari is a good CB there's no denying that, Roma's CB's have been pretty set so he was never relly gonna crack them, but he could be a good signing assuming he's not wanting stupid money. Not the most physical, i'd train the lad as a fullback myself as he is whippet fast. (Make your own Ferrari jokes)/.

Ferrari is a fucking class player. He didn't have any problems with the physicality of the league at all, his problem was Moyes being too loyal to Davey Weir and playing him alongside Yobo whenever he was fit.

Milan and Fiorentina want him anyway apparently so I'm not sure he'd choose Newcastle. Would be a good signing for you though.

Ferrari was very highly rated once upon a time when he was at Parma. Hasn't progressed in the way that he was supposed to (similar to his teammate Paolo Cannavaro - Fabio's brother), but he did look good for Everton, and for a free transfer, would be mint.

Ferrari is a fucking class player. He didn't have any problems with the physicality of the league at all, his problem was Moyes being too loyal to Davey Weir and playing him alongside Yobo whenever he was fit.

Milan and Fiorentina want him anyway apparently so I'm not sure he'd choose Newcastle. Would be a good signing for you though.

:smug: