Man United (h) - 23/02/08 - pre-match thread

womblemaster

Attack is the best form of defense.

Get at them, keep a high line, press them inside their own half and try and keep a high tempo going.

Until we run out of steam early in the 2nd half and get raped to bits for the next 45mins.

We haven't got one single player who's got the stomach to go play football with Manu for a full 90mins.

Whatever we do Manu are better, fitter, more organised, confident and we'll be lucky to get a light spanking off them.

IMO we need to hang onto the ball 1st half and get to HT 0-0, then try and attack them 2nd half, were passing a bit better under KK so its doable, and they might come at us more looking for their own goal in the 2nd and we can counter attack. Its the only way we will win this game, but we haven't got the mental toughness to stick to any gameplan for longer then 15mins these days.

One thing that we absolutely must do is squeeze the space between the defence and midfield like crazy. In my opinion Faye has got to play in front of the back four and just destroy anyone that comes near him. Full backs have got to be Enqrique and Beye, but they wont be. Carr will no doubt be on the pitch bending over and asking to get raped by Cronaldo.

I can't wait for everyone to go spare like they were expecting something from this match. :laugh:

I guess it depends on the manner of the performance.

Of course I'm not expecting anything out of this match, Man Utd are an awesome side, and well, we're just pathetic, but as long as all of the players give 100% effort, I'll be happy.

One thing that we absolutely must do is squeeze the space between the defence and midfield like crazy. In my opinion Faye has got to play in front of the back four and just destroy anyone that comes near him. Full backs have got to be Enqrique and Beye, but they wont be. Carr will no doubt be on the pitch bending over and asking to get raped by Cronaldo.

Carr is sure to get shagged if he plays as sure as night folllows day, just as Cacapa was bound to get outmuscled by Carew against Villa. I sometimes wonder why we don't go horses for courses more often. Cacapa should be ok against Man U, they have smaller forwards so we should be able to release Faye into midfield where the game will be drawn or thrashed. All over the pitch we will need pace and strength so go with the strongest and fastest line up. Beye, Faye and Enrique must start. But probably won't.

Given

Beye  Faye  Taylor  Enrique

Milner  Barton Emre  N'Zogbia

Viduka  Owen

Subs: Harper, Cacapa, Butt, Smith, Duff  (presuming Martins is injured)

If KK doesnt pick Enrique, then I'll seriously start to wonder if hes the new Luque.

Carr can't play no matter what... Ronaldo will just swap sides to pinpoint our knome like weakness!!

Has to be beye and enrique, let enrique give him a kicking every time he comes near. I would go for Beye and Cacapa in central defence and bring taylor on if one of them has a horrible game. Full out attack in midfield and up front with nicky butt as our buffer, duff up front instead of that lazy ozz git:

--------Harper--------

Beye---Caca---Faye--Enrique

Milner---Emre---Butt---Zoggy

--------Owen----Duff-----

Realistically based on our current form we will be lucky to get a draw but, a defeat is far more the likely outcome.

I will be really happy of we see some guts and a performance out of our players, surely they have some pride left and can still remember being dumped 6 - 0 at Old Trafford in December??

Come on boys, guts and hell!!  Lets give Man Utd a game!!

:clap2:

Play defensive in the 1st half then switch gears and go all out on offense in the 2nd half.

The team has played well in the 1st half and maybe chaging tactics will alleviate the 2nd half collapse and catch ManU off guard.  If we can play to a draw in the 1st maybe we can knock them on their heels and keep them off balance in the 2nd.

We've got a better chance if we come out and attack, the midfield/defence aren't good enough to absorb prssure/deal with the many attacking threats Man United pose. But we can't go all out attack, then we'll get shafted on the counter. Thus we need to pick a line-up capable of retaining the ball and passing it around and being sensible, not wasting possession like we normally do. Fairly sure, however, that United can deal with both ariel and passingt threats, but think the latter is more likely to work as don't see any of our team winning aerial battles vs. Vidic, Ferdinand and Brown. Therefore I would go for:

Given/Harper

Beye Taylor Cacapa Enrique

Milner/Duff Faye Emre N'Zogbia

Owen Viduka

Passing ability and players who can work with the ball at their feet, would have Martins in with Owen but looks like he's injured.  However, Faye's presence in midfield to add some stability and threat against Scholes,Carrick,Anderson,Hargreaves.. all of these are two good to just plonk two attacking options. Butt is way too slow to deal with any of them and will give the ball away too much, Barton just isn't up to it. Notice the ommission of Alan Smith, because if he plays, we will lose. Key also will be making the most of set pieces when they are available, so Emre should have a big role to play. Just think if we turn up to bruise them into submission in won't work - it does against Arsenal, but I think United are as hard as they are quality so it will be useless. To be frank, though, I don't think we stand a tadpole's chance in a French kitchen of getting anything out of this game whoever we put out onto the field. But in theory United should be a bit knackered from FA cup/Champions League, so if we aim to pass it around, that makes more running for them. Lumping long balls means they can sit there and soak up.

i agree with the majority sentiment in the thread of playing aa attack oriented game.  i'm wondering what sort of side man u will put out?  will they be looking past this match to their next opponent?  (no idea who it is mind)  if so, and we're able to come blazing out of the starting blocks, we might be able to put THEM on the back foot for awhile!  :whistle:  of course i've no idea what we'll do in the 2nd half other than something that makes me do this--> :banghead:

Harper

Beye   Taylor    Cacapa  Charlie

Faye

Milner                    Duff

Emre

Smith         Owen   

Can't see nothing but an away win

Play defensive in the 1st half then switch gears and go all out on offense in the 2nd half.

The team has played well in the 1st half and maybe chaging tactics will alleviate the 2nd half collapse and catch ManU off guard.  If we can play to a draw in the 1st maybe we can knock them on their heels and keep them off balance in the 2nd.

in keeping with this thought, here's a snippet of a reply to lee ryder's blog:

"Honestly there are 3 missing ingredients in this team that can be helped by intoducing young players:

1] Pace.. we are very slow team especailly if you take away N'Zogbia and Martins. Our defense is also very slow. Edgar, Lualua and Caroll will help with this area.

2] Hunger to win. Well need I say more. The young guns will not have that problem.

3]Stamina: Most of the players like Butt, Barton, Owen, Capcca and Viduka look like they can only play 45 mins, that is why we are a disaster in the second half of most of our games. The young guns have lost of it to spare."

i think that perhaps playing the young'uns in the first half and then doing the old three way substution @ around the 60th minute might pay a dividend.  or have i had too much dark chocolate >:D

We go down a gear in the 2nd half, if you hadn't noticed?

in keeping with this thought, here's a snippet of a reply to lee ryder's blog:

"Honestly there are 3 missing ingredients in this team that can be helped by intoducing young players:

1] Pace.. we are very slow team especailly if you take away N'Zogbia and Martins. Our defense is also very slow. Edgar, Lualua and Caroll will help with this area.

2] Hunger to win. Well need I say more. The young guns will not have that problem.

3]Stamina: Most of the players like Butt, Barton, Owen, Capcca and Viduka look like they can only play 45 mins, that is why we are a disaster in the second half of most of our games. The young guns have lost of it to spare."

i think that perhaps playing the young'uns in the first half and then doing the old three way substution @ around the 60th minute might pay a dividend.  or have i had too much dark chocolate >:D

Yes