Man United (h) - 23/02/08 - pre-match thread

womblemaster

Play defensive in the 1st half then switch gears and go all out on offense in the 2nd half.

The team has played well in the 1st half and maybe chaging tactics will alleviate the 2nd half collapse and catch ManU off guard.  If we can play to a draw in the 1st maybe we can knock them on their heels and keep them off balance in the 2nd.

in keeping with this thought, here's a snippet of a reply to lee ryder's blog:

"Honestly there are 3 missing ingredients in this team that can be helped by intoducing young players:

1] Pace.. we are very slow team especailly if you take away N'Zogbia and Martins. Our defense is also very slow. Edgar, Lualua and Caroll will help with this area.

2] Hunger to win. Well need I say more. The young guns will not have that problem.

3]Stamina: Most of the players like Butt, Barton, Owen, Capcca and Viduka look like they can only play 45 mins, that is why we are a disaster in the second half of most of our games. The young guns have lost of it to spare."

i think that perhaps playing the young'uns in the first half and then doing the old three way substution @ around the 60th minute might pay a dividend.  or have i had too much dark chocolate >:D

Yes

to which?  it's the chocolate, isn't  it?    blueyes.gif

Play defensive in the 1st half then switch gears and go all out on offense in the 2nd half.

The team has played well in the 1st half and maybe chaging tactics will alleviate the 2nd half collapse and catch ManU off guard.  If we can play to a draw in the 1st maybe we can knock them on their heels and keep them off balance in the 2nd.

We go down a gear in the 2nd half, if you hadn't noticed?

Looking at goal distribution, we give up more goals in the 45-50 minute area (5) and the 50-55 (7) minute area (except for the end of the game) .  I'm not sure how tired legs would be the issue if it occurs just after half unless it takes old legs longer to loosen up.    :shifty:

Anyways, my thought was that if the team comes out flat to start the 2nd half, a switch to a more aggressive style will hopefully energize them.  If the opposition comes out feeling too comfortable (because they know we'll play passive) the switch to a more aggressive style will throw them off stride.

I'd give Edgar a go at CB and then stick Faye in at CM. Martins up top (if fit) with Duff in behind in a free role. Owen and Barton could take the places of Martins and Emre if needs be.

Given

Beye  Taylor  Edgar  Enrique

Faye

Milner      Emre      Zoggy 

Duff

Martins 

Subs Harper, Geremi, Barton, Owen, Ameobi/Carroll

If Keegan plays Car, Cacapa, Butt or Viduka we are doomed.

I think playing youngsters is an interesting shout, LuaLua is tempting as he offers pace. Him and Charlie down the wings would at least cause a bit of a fright, but then we lose Milner's skill/crossing etc., so it'sa hard call.

In asnwer to the question about what kind of team Man U will play, you can bet it will be the strongest possible as they have slipped behind Arsenal in the title race. That's why they played a limited team in the FA cup and don't think they will play strongest possible XI tonight.

I think playing youngsters is an interesting shout, LuaLua is tempting as he offers pace. Him and Charlie down the wings would at least cause a bit of a fright, but then we lose Milner's skill/crossing etc., so it'sa hard call.

In asnwer to the question about what kind of team Man U will play, you can bet it will be the strongest possible as they have slipped behind Arsenal in the title race. That's why they played a limited team in the FA cup and don't think they will play strongest possible XI tonight.

:idiot2:

if you're right, and i tend to think you are (although i HOPE not) then we'v got nothing to lose by playing the young lads.  in fact, if we're going to get tonked by 4-5 then i'd rather be able have that "excuse".  of course, that's only if it won't crush the wee lads' confidence forever.  :angel:

Play our strongest 11 (well thats fookin hard work ) and we will probably still get beat unless kk works wonders with moral and self belief and catch manure on an off day ,would love to see a couple of youngsters given a start Edgar and lualua as this would imho raise there game and have a bit more pace in the side .

Get off to a good start and who knows but still think 0 - 2

i reckon another 2-2 draw. EEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. But for this to happen we must play emre, and martins if fit, plus have some youngsters floating about for pace and commitment and unpredictability.

Erm, is that the same Emre who disappears in big games?

Guest rebel_yell12

First, I know and admit that I am a fan of Owen -- apparently a mildly rare thing on these boards.  At any rate, can anyone give me a reason for dropping him from the XI for this match?  Even if Martins were fit (which it appears he will not be) -- why bench the one player who is scoring, and has visibly improved in every measurement since Keegan's arrival (fitness, form, attitude)?  The fact is, Martins is probably not "match fit" since he's hardly played since December even if he is physically able to play.  And before I get shouted down, I was looking forward to seeing an Owen-Martins partnership (still am, just apparently it won't happen this week-end).  I just don't see how playing a Martins-Duff or Martins-anyonebutOwen partnership would work for the benefit of the team.  I like Martins, don't get me wrong.  He's just unpredictable enough to unsettle a defence and let Owen play in his best area (see the Wigan match earlier this season, Martins came on to deliver for Owen...they CAN be productive together).  Why would you bench Owen at this point?  It's an utter waste to put a fit and firing Owen on the bench, when goals are desperately needed by Newcastle. 

My team

Harper                                      (why risk Given?)

Beye Edgar Faye Enrique        (Faye and Beye should help the young Edgar in the back)

Milner Duff Emre N'Zogbia        (a forward-moving midfield perhaps?)

Viduka Owen                          (MUCH rather it be Martins-Owen but Martins doesn't seem likely to be fit)

Subs:  Forster, Carroll (on if Viduka isn't effective), LuaLua (on for increased pace), Taylor (on if Edgar is weak), Geremi.

Players I'd not even have on the bench: Butt & Carr (self-explanatory), Smith (does he have a position he's good at?) and Barton (discipline issues).  In the case of Barton, there's room for him to come back of course as CM is the weakest spot, probably the same with Butt (much as that pains).  But as is, I'd rather have Emre. 

Guest DazzaNufc1892

iv got a bet on 4-0 man u, can just see this being another misery for us. We have to play against a fresh tevez, ronaldo, giggs and scholes.

Given

Beye          Taylor          Faye        Enrique

Geremi

Emre

Milner                                          N'Zogbia

Martins

Owen

Sadly though, i'm convinced Zoggy will play at left back and Smith and Butt will retain places.

My line up is                      Given

Beye                       Taylor                   Faye               Enrique

Milner                    Emre                   Barton              N'Zogbia

Viduka                              Owen

Subs Harper,Cacapa,Butt,Ameobi,Duff.

Haert says 2-2,head says 0-3.