Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Goals to game Michael Owen is 2nd to very few people. However, I agree his best times are past him now.

On the flip side, Shearers best days were when he was at Blackburn and when he had just came to us, but he was still magnificent for the remainder of his career because he adapted his game and offered something else to the team. You cannot really compare anyone to Shearer though tbf.

Oba > Owen in our current team/squad though...

Goals to game Michael Owen is 2nd to very few people. However, I agree his best times are past him now.

On the flip side, Shearers best days were when he was at Blackburn and when he had just came to us, but he was still magnificent for the remainder of his career because he adapted his game and offered something else to the team. You cannot really compare anyone to Shearer though tbf.

If you're honest, he really wasn't, for the last few seasons at least.

I would love to know how many assists and headers he won in the middle of the park for the last 3 or 4 years of his career, everything we did still went through Shearer, whether it be to hold up play for the team to progress or to use him as a goal scoring threat.

Shearer was magnificent at what he did, he adapted his game perfectly - something 9/10 players will definately struggle to do.

I would love to know how many assists and headers he won in the middle of the park for the last 3 or 4 years of his career, everything we did still went through Shearer, whether it be to hold up play for the team to progress or to use him as a goal scoring threat.

Shearer was magnificent at what he did, he adapted his game perfectly - something 9/10 players will definately struggle to do.

He definitely adapted in order to prolong his career and it worked for a while, but I think there's a strong case that towards the end of his career the fact that he was the focus of our game was more of a hindrance to our success than it was a contributing factor.

except when he plays against defenders with their heads screwed on, then he looks as dangerous as Shola

• 3 weeks later...

39 goals in 77 games in his last three season, but Shola should've should've been in his place if we're honest.

Also note that in the last few seasons of Shearer's career our whole team was playing shit under Souness. It pained me, killed me to see Shearer running back 40 yards to make last ditch clearances from inside our own box, and people blame him for not scoring, I wonder why.

Honestly had Shearer in his last few years been in a team that played half decent attacking football he wouldve still got around 15 goals a season.

Note that he finished his last season with 10 goals in 32 games, and was our top goal scorer that season, so many people absolutely butchered him on this message board in his last season, just because he couldn't challenge 2 defenders for an aerial ball, win a header, push 3 defenders over and score a 30 yard screamer anymore.

He was our scapegoat in his last season, accused of delaying his retirement for Milburns record when he was just giving service to the club, and this negativity towards Shearer for God knows what reason, still exist and everytime we have a managerial vacancy people on this board yell "Oh no not Shearer!", this I still do not understand why.

39 goals in 77 games in his last three season, but Shola should've should've been in his place if we're honest.

What's your thoughts on Michael Owen, his goals to game ratio is pretty good too. Shearer did score plenty of goals, who's denying that? He was undeniably magnificent for most of his career, but I wouldn't describe his last few seasons as magnificent, just because we didn't have anyone magnificent to replace him with, doesn't make him magnificent by default. Especially as he's partly responsible for that situation, having played something of a role in the decisions to remove those who might have replaced him or tried to replace him from the club. Shearer is too much of a sacred cow for many people, you can think that he wasn't perfect and criticise him when he does something you consider wrong and still think he was a great player, you know?

What's your thoughts on Michael Owen, his goals to game ratio is pretty good too. Shearer did score plenty of goals, who's denying that? He was undeniably magnificent for most of his career, but I wouldn't describe his last few seasons as magnificent, just because we didn't have anyone magnificent to replace him with, doesn't make him magnificent by default. Especially as he's partly responsible for that situation, having played something of a role in the decisions to remove those who might have replaced him or tried to replace him from the club. Shearer is too much of a sacred cow for many people, you can think that he wasn't perfect and criticise him when he does something you consider wrong and still think he was a great player, you know?

Sacrilege!! Shearer was great and a geordie, any other details are unnecessary and wicked shit-stirring of the vilest order.

Incidentally, while I think he has the qualities to be a good manager, it does piss me off that the only circumstances he'll agree to boss Newcastle is with (probably) lots of money to spend and under the right owner. If he put himself forward for the job now and just got on with it like Kinnear I'm sure no one would slag him if we weren't challenging for the title in 12 months.

Sacrilege!! Shearer was great and a geordie, any other details are unnecessary and wicked shit-stirring of the vilest order.

Incidentally, while I think he has the qualities to be a good manager, it does piss me off that the only circumstances he'll agree to boss Newcastle is with (probably) lots of money to spend and under the right owner. If he put himself forward for the job now and just got on with it like Kinnear I'm sure no one would slag him if we weren't challenging for the title in 12 months.

Like any self-respecting, sane Premier League manager, then? :undecided:

It's a shame how it's some sort of crime to idolise a player. :(

Who says it's a crime?

It's fair enough if you decide to forgive someone's imperfections, but to deny they exist is kinda silly really.

Who says it's a crime?

It's fair enough if you decide to forgive someone's imperfections, but to deny they exist is kinda silly really.

I know you said he was a great player and everything, and i'm not really referring to you in-particular Indi; but it grates on me those who can't wait to get on his back. They jump on the chance to correct people and go on about his woeful last couple of seasons. Who cares? He's a legend, just leave it at that. I know that it's a romantic and sentimental way to look at things but Christ, a bit of 'deluded' sentiment every now and again is nice amidst the shite of today's NUFC.

Like any self-respecting, sane Premier League manager, then? :undecided:

Most self-respecting Prem managers have earned their dues at lesser clubs. Newcastle United isn't a bad first step, even under tight financial controls.

Why the fuck would he want to come into the club as it is?

This is another thing that pisses me off. People think it's still Shearer's duty to graft his arse off for the club, otherwise his love for the club is fabricated and he actually sees his future sat next to Alan Hansen. Just cos he's Alan Shearer. Bollocks man, he's done a fantastic duty for this club. Why the fuck would he come into this shite club atm? Why would anyone?

Who says it's a crime?

I know you said he was a great player and everything, and i'm not really referring to you in-particular Indi; but it grates on me those who can't wait to get on his back. They jump on the chance to correct people and go on about his woeful last couple of seasons. Who cares? He's a legend, just leave it at that. I know that it's a romantic and sentimental way to look at things but Christ, a bit of 'deluded' sentiment every now and again is nice amidst the shite of today's NUFC.

And it grates on me that just because he was a great player people assume that he'd be the club's saviour and appointing him as manager, despite having zero experience, will solve all the club's ills. There have been loads of great players who haven't made the transition to great manager, in fact there seems to be very little positive relationship between playing ability and managing ability, in fact there's more evidence that the opposite might be true. As for Alan Shearer, he was a legend as a player and I'm more than happy to leave it at that.

It's deluded sentiment that played a large part in getting us into this mess in the first place and has been one of the things that have held us back for years. :p

Who says it's a crime?

And it grates on me that just because he was a great player people assume that he'd be the club's saviour and appointing him as manager, despite having zero experience, will solve all the club's ills. There have been loads of great players who haven't made the transition to great manager, in fact there seems to be very little positive relationship between playing ability and managing ability, in fact there's more evidence that the opposite might be true. As for Alan Shearer, he was a legend as a player and I'm more than happy to leave it at that.

It's deluded sentiment that played a large part in getting us into this mess in the first place and has been one of the things that have held us back for years. :p

Sure... that wasn't really our argument though. :lol: I agree with the above.

That said, if we did appoint him as manager i wouldn't be unhappy. I'd be sceptical, sure, but i'd be content.

From the Mirror.

"I can't wait to get back in because I've been out for a long time," said Martins, who netted an overhead kick at Bolton last season.

"I feel better now and my season starts here. I hope that nothing more will happen to me or the rest of the players with injuries.

"The support from the Newcastle crowd towards me really means a lot to me.

I'm going to give my very best. They really love me and I love them too.''

"I think it's a very important game for us to win. We have a tough run coming up at home.

"Last season I scored against Bolton and it was one of my favourite goals.

It was one of those goals you never forget. A repeat would be rather nice."

Who says it's a crime?

Sure... that wasn't really our argument though. :lol: I agree with the above.

That said, if we did appoint him as manager i wouldn't be unhappy. I'd be sceptical, sure, but i'd be content.

It's so much harder to argue with people who disagree with you though. :thup:

I hope we could get a decent experienced manager and I think we could too. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think I'd be too content initially if he was.