Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Why the fuck would he want to come into the club as it is?

This is another thing that pisses me off. People think it's still Shearer's duty to graft his arse off for the club, otherwise his love for the club is fabricated and he actually sees his future sat next to Alan Hansen. Just cos he's Alan Shearer. Bollocks man, he's done a fantastic duty for this club. Why the fuck would he come into this shite club atm? Why would anyone?

Because they want to manage Newcastle United? Joe Kinnear might be a hopeless joke of a manager but at least he wants it. I think Shearer would like the job as well if all the conditions were right, but that might never happen. Why the fuck would he come to this shite club atm? Well the fans do, it might be shite but it's our shite.

Goals to game Michael Owen is 2nd to very few people. However, I agree his best times are past him now.

On the flip side, Shearers best days were when he was at Blackburn and when he had just came to us, but he was still magnificent for the remainder of his career because he adapted his game and offered something else to the team. You cannot really compare anyone to Shearer though tbf.

Oba > Owen in our current team/squad though...

If you're honest, he really wasn't, for the last few seasons at least.

39 goals in 77 games in his last three season, but Shola should've should've been in his place if we're honest.

What's your thoughts on Michael Owen, his goals to game ratio is pretty good too. Shearer did score plenty of goals, who's denying that? He was undeniably magnificent for most of his career, but I wouldn't describe his last few seasons as magnificent, just because we didn't have anyone magnificent to replace him with, doesn't make him magnificent by default. Especially as he's partly responsible for that situation, having played something of a role in the decisions to remove those who might have replaced him or tried to replace him from the club. Shearer is too much of a sacred cow for many people, you can think that he wasn't perfect and criticise him when he does something you consider wrong and still think he was a great player, you know?

Sacrilege!! Shearer was great and a geordie, any other details are unnecessary and wicked s***-stirring of the vilest order.

Incidentally, while I think he has the qualities to be a good manager, it does piss me off that the only circumstances he'll agree to boss Newcastle is with (probably) lots of money to spend and under the right owner. If he put himself forward for the job now and just got on with it like Kinnear I'm sure no one would slag him if we weren't challenging for the title in 12 months.

Like any self-respecting, sane Premier League manager, then? :undecided:

Most self-respecting Prem managers have earned their dues at lesser clubs. Newcastle United isn't a bad first step, even under tight financial controls.

Newcastle United is NOT  a 'first step' club - it has a huge fan base and, if properly-run, the ability to make money and be in the Top 6 of English football...

In order to make the club realise its potential, a manager DOES need a big transfer budget and be able to decide transfer policy.

If Brian Clough had been offered the chance of managing a club like Newcastle(which Peter Taylor was on record as saying that he & Clough would have liked the chance), he would have expected at least a budget capable of competing with the likes of Villa and Spurs - because he started at Hartlepool he had to cut his coat according to the cloth...

Shearer is NOT a fool - he can see that if he took over NUFC at this time, he is on a hiding to nothing because he won't be allowed to choose his own targets and the money for decent players is clearly not available...if he chose to manage a lower league club, he would be taking that on under far less expectation.

Goals to game Michael Owen is 2nd to very few people. However, I agree his best times are past him now.

On the flip side, Shearers best days were when he was at Blackburn and when he had just came to us, but he was still magnificent for the remainder of his career because he adapted his game and offered something else to the team. You cannot really compare anyone to Shearer though tbf.

Oba > Owen in our current team/squad though...

If you're honest, he really wasn't, for the last few seasons at least.

39 goals in 77 games in his last three season, but Shola should've should've been in his place if we're honest.

What's your thoughts on Michael Owen, his goals to game ratio is pretty good too. Shearer did score plenty of goals, who's denying that? He was undeniably magnificent for most of his career, but I wouldn't describe his last few seasons as magnificent, just because we didn't have anyone magnificent to replace him with, doesn't make him magnificent by default. Especially as he's partly responsible for that situation, having played something of a role in the decisions to remove those who might have replaced him or tried to replace him from the club. Shearer is too much of a sacred cow for many people, you can think that he wasn't perfect and criticise him when he does something you consider wrong and still think he was a great player, you know?

Sacrilege!! Shearer was great and a geordie, any other details are unnecessary and wicked s***-stirring of the vilest order.

Incidentally, while I think he has the qualities to be a good manager, it does piss me off that the only circumstances he'll agree to boss Newcastle is with (probably) lots of money to spend and under the right owner. If he put himself forward for the job now and just got on with it like Kinnear I'm sure no one would slag him if we weren't challenging for the title in 12 months.

Like any self-respecting, sane Premier League manager, then? :undecided:

Most self-respecting Prem managers have earned their dues at lesser clubs. Newcastle United isn't a bad first step, even under tight financial controls.

Newcastle United is NOT  a 'first step' club - it has a huge fan base and, if properly-run, the ability to make money and be in the Top 6 of English football...

In order to make the club realise its potential, a manager DOES need a big transfer budget and be able to decide transfer policy.

If Brian Clough had been offered the chance of managing a club like Newcastle(which Peter Taylor was on record as saying that he & Clough would have liked the chance), he would have expected at least a budget capable of competing with the likes of Villa and Spurs - because he started at Hartlepool he had to cut his coat according to the cloth...

Shearer is NOT a fool - he can see that if he took over NUFC at this time, he is on a hiding to nothing because he won't be allowed to choose his own targets and the money for decent players is clearly not available...if he chose to manage a lower league club, he would be taking that on under far less expectation.

Fair enough but if Newcastle is a big job, and I agree it is, then by that logic only proven managers with experience would be qualified to demand big budgets and more control. As Shearer hasn't managed at any level yet the chance to manage Newcastle might never come if he's waiting for everything to be just right.

Not had many chances today, should have done better with the header though.

It was tough tbf, not much pace on the ball and slightly behind him IIRC.

Barely had a sniff today in truth because of the way we're playing.

Thought he looked off the pace today, which was to be expected given his recent injuries though. We desperately need him and Viduka to get, and stay fully fit.

Don't think he had the ball enough as we struggled to pass the ball out of our own half.

Guest Heneage

Two big blokes doesn't work. The day Viduka and Martins is the day we will start getting somewhere.

Two big blokes doesn't work. The day Viduka and Martins is the day we will start getting somewhere.

It does and has. Two big blokes when one of them is Shola Ameobi however doesn't.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/02/oba-martins-vows-to-come-good-72703-23043094/

Oba Martins vows to come good

Mar 2 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

OBA MARTINS has vowed to make up for his glaring miss against Bolton Wanderers by helping to haul Newcastle United out of trouble in the Premier League.

The Nigerian had two presentable opportunities during the clash with Bolton, with Jussi Jaaskelainen preventing him from opening the scoring on 34 minutes before his horror miss from just in front of goal after Jonas’ left-wing cross with three minutes of the first half left.

Caretaker boss Chris Hughton was criticised by sections of the Toon Army for withdrawing Martins, but the African says he will bounce back.

He told the Chronicle: “I tried as hard as I possibly could to score, but it’s a little bit difficult when you come back.

“I had a chance, but I missed it. I just have to continue to play my football.

“The ball was a little bit slow for the second header, so I tried to jump and head it, but unfortunately I missed it.

“For me, we didn’t play well at all. It’s not good at all, because we have to put our maximum effort into our football.”

Yet Martins, who has been out with a hernia problem for several months, admitted he was still not firing on all cylinders.

The Toon No 9 underwent an operation in January to cure the problem but is yet to find the net in two appearances after bagging six goals before his injury in December at Portsmouth.

He added: “It’s been a long, long time, but I think I’m over my injury now.

“I’m happy I’m back with the team, and I hope to score a lot of goals before the end of the season. Now hopefully I can go on a run of goals.”

Martins will be hoping to repeat his heroics against Manchester United after scoring United’s first of the season in the trip to Old Trafford on the opening weekend of the campaign.

Oba Martins wants to deny Van der Sar record

Mar 4 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

OBA MARTINS has revealed his desire to destroy Edwin Van der Sar’s hopes of beating a 19-year-old record in tonight’s clash with Manchester United.

The Dutchman is set for a recall between the posts despite Ben Foster’s heroics in Sunday’s Carling Cup final, when the England international – who used an iPod to watch Spurs take penalties immediately before – was on hand to see off Tottenham in a penalty shoot-out.

Van der Sar, who is coached by former Wallsend Boys Club junior and Geordie Eric Steele, was last beaten in the Premier League on November 11 in Man U’s 2-1 defeat at Arsenal.

He has broken several domestic and British records after going 1,302 minutes without conceding a goal.

The 128-times-capped Dutchman needs to keep the ball out of his net for another 89 minutes to beat the overall European record of 1,390 minutes, set by Dany Verlinden in the Belgian First Division in 1990-91.

But after doing the trick against Man U on the opening day of the season, Martins is hopeful of repeating his feat.

He told the Chronicle: “I scored against them this season. I’m not the only one who’s going to play but it would be great to do it again.

“I want to score the goals that will help Newcastle get out of this.”

Steele has proved to be a thorn in Newcastle’s side before.

After coming back to Tyneside with Manchester City last season before his switch to Old Trafford, he insisted that Joe Hart went through some extra sessions at Gateshead Stadium before a 2-0 win.

And after helping Van der Sar enjoy an Indian summer to his glorious career, the Geordie will find it fitting should his mature student achieve his goal on Tyneside.

However, Martins and Co have other ideas. The African has urged the rest of his team-mates to step up to the plate in tonight’s difficult encounter against world champions Manchester United.

The pacy Nigerian ace wants Newcastle United to live up to their name against Sir Alex Ferguson’s men and pull off a result that can help re-ignite a woeful season that could yet result in relegation to the Championship.

Second-tier football would surely spell the end of £10m stars like Martins after the former Inter Milan star arrived on Tyneside to challenge for major honours.

But it hasn’t worked out that way and, with Newcastle teetering near the relegation trapdoor, they know that failure to pick up at least 10 points from the remaining 33 available in the final 11 games will mean relegation from the top flight for the first time since 1989.

A concerned Martins said: “It’s going to be difficult now because we lost at Bolton, and we have Man U in the next game.

“We’ll see what’s going to happen. It will be tough but we have to stay together.”

United’s squad have been through the doldrums this season after team morale hit rock bottom following the departure of Kevin Keegan in September.

Joe Kinnear temporarily lifted spirits to pull Newcastle marginally away from the danger zone, but his recent health problems mean that United can no longer rely on their match-day motivator until at least April 11, when he is scheduled to make a comeback at Stoke City.

Now, with Chris Hughton in as stand-in boss, Martins believes it is up to the players to haul the side out of danger.

He added: “We have to play as a team.

“We’ll see what’s going to happen against Manchester United.

“I will find it difficult, and so will the team.

“They’re a great team and have a lot of great players.

“But we just have to go out there and do our thing and play our football.”

:: THE latest edition of The Mag will be on sale tonight from the usual vendors ahead of the game against Manchester United.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/04/united-ace-aims-to-shatter-van-der-sar-record-bid-72703-23061298/

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1581079,00.html

United Ace Earns Country Recall

FIT-again Magpie marksman Oba Martins has been recalled to the Nigeria national squad for their World Cup Qualifier in Mozambique later this month.

The Super Eagles travel to Maputo on March 29 to begin their quest to reach the finals in South Africa next summer.

Martins has scored 13 times from 21 outings for his country.