Obafemi Martins

Wullie

How come he only has 21 caps?!

That seems an exceptionally low amount considering he's been at the highest level at club level for the last 5-6 seasons.

He's bulls***** his way out of quite a few. The guy is a fairweather national team player. Only wants to show up for WCQ/World Cup matches and the ACN. Regardless, I'm excited to have him back. The sqaud is taking shape and looking pretty good for qualifiers.

That seems an exceptionally low amount considering he's been at the highest level at club level for the last 5-6 seasons.

You won't believe how few caps Ryan Giggs has for Wales.

I really love Oba. I guess it's kind of a bad thing that his return to the squad has sorta dampened my increasing apathy; but i guess that's just the effect a favourite player has on you. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Just been re-watching the highlights of the first half v Manu. He genuinely is a class above the majority of our squad imo, even if he doesn't show it 60/70% of the time. That piece of skill which ended up with Vidic getting booked was fantastic. He pwned the league's best defender in one movement, and set himself for a shot at goal.

He'll be dying for a goal now, i reckon. I love that with Martins; you can tell when he's absolutely aching for a goal... sure, it can end up lasting a while and his confidence frittering away. But it can go another way aswell, like it did at home to Villa.

So chuffed he's back in the side. I really hope he nicks a goal or two prior to them three home games, cos we could do with his EXPLOSIVENESS when they come around.

Guest optimistic nit

You won't believe how few caps Ryan Giggs has for Wales.

He's bulls***** his way out of quite a few. The guy is a fairweather national team player. Only wants to show up for WCQ/World Cup matches and the ACN. Regardless, I'm excited to have him back. The sqaud is taking shape and looking pretty good for qualifiers.

Guest neesy111

if we do stay up and martins does want to stay (i'm told he's very happy living here etc), then we must build a team round martins not for the like's of owen etc

oba is our most important player and most influential when fit

if we do stay up and martins does want to stay (i'm told he's very happy living here etc), then we must build a team round martins not for the like's of owen etc

agreed

agreed

double agreed

one thing i'd truly love to see is a fully fit martins with a fully fit, ball playing midfield who can dictate a game

martins gets accused of (rightly to some degree) a lack of 'intelligence' on the pitch...for me a player with carrick's ability for example would recognise the danger someone like martins can cause and would force him to make certain runs into certain areas with the type of passes they play to him, i.e. force him to work the channels and play on the shoulder between FB/CB and look for more balls in behind defences

barton can do this but he's not played enough of course

martins isn't the greatest striker to every play game but with a better midfield his pace and strength would see him scoring a lot or making a lot imo, that's how dangerous he is...people are vastly underrating him now 'cause he's played with utter dogshit since turning up at NUFC and he's getting dragged down

anyone think andy cole was an intelligent striker?  me either, but he had successive managers and players who made him play to his strengths

we'll miss martins when he's gone, oh goodness how we'll miss him when he's gone and marlon harewood or shefki kuqi or someone replaces him...

Cole by all accounts was as thick as pork mince off the pitch, yet on it he had an incredible instinct of where to be and when

indeed, but his all round game was lacking, was it not?  he improved on that a lot at manyoo at the expense of his poaching instincts later in his time but that kind of thing comes with maturity and experience, oba will improve aspects of his game too as he grows, but he won't unless he plays with better players

• 2 weeks later...

When will paople wake up and realise Martins is s***.

I thought he was outstanding yesterday. Missed a few chances, but was definitely always a threat and made some good chances from nothing. His penalty wasn't great but not the worst I've seen from our lot.

When will paople wake up and realise Martins is s***.

I thought he was outstanding yesterday. Missed a few chances, but was definitely always a threat and made some good chances from nothing. His penalty wasn't great but not the worst I've seen from our lot.

outstanding,...lol,...see you in the championship,....his level.

Well if Martins is shit what does that make Owen? He was huffin and puffin after only five minutes yesterday. Did he actually kick a ball? And don't tell me what he's done in the past, it's now I want to see a performance, fat chance of that then.

Well if Martins is s*** what does that make Owen? He was huffin and puffin after only five minutes yesterday. Did he actually kick a ball? And don't tell me what he's done in the past, it's now I want to see a performance, fat chance of that then.

Just as well he got the goals before his injury or else we'd already be dead and buried this season.

Probably because while he was out, all our hopes were pinned on him to perform. He was the one that everyone assumed would make things better when he came back. In the two and a bit games he's been back, he's been a letdown.

He's still been one our best attacking players though.

Probably because while he was out, all our hopes were pinned on him to perform. He was the one that everyone assumed would make things better when he came back. In the two and a bit games he's been back, he's been a letdown.

Not saying he has done brilliantly since coming back from injury, because he hasn't, but with Lovenkrands and him in attack we have seen attacking moves you simply wouldn't see with Owen in the team due to his lack of movement (unless played in midfield, something Hughton and Kinnear wouldn't even consider). Martins has also scored a goal yesterday from nothing, although he missed one or two he should have scored. He is capable of playing better than he currently is, but I personally don't think Owen would have done better, certainly not in terms of contributing to our general decent attacking play..

Not saying he has done brilliantly since coming back from injury, because he hasn't, but with Lovenkrands and him in attack we have seen attacking moves you simply wouldn't see with Owen in the team due to his lack of movement (unless played in midfield, something Hughton and Kinnear wouldn't even consider). Martins has also scored a goal yesterday from nothing, although he missed one or two he should have scored. He is capable of playing better than he currently is, but I personally don't think Owen would have done better, certainly not in terms of contributing to our general decent attacking play..

Owen looked really off the pace when he came on. It was like watching someone in slow motion. At least Loven and Martins looked like they could compete equally as athletes against Arsenal's players. Wenger actually said they were very lively throughout.

Owen looked really off the pace when he came on. It was like watching someone in slow motion. At least Loven and Martins looked like they could compete equally as athletes against Arsenal's players. Wenger actually said they were very lively throughout.

Loven should not get a new deal but the fucker worked his balls off yesterday.