Obafemi Martins

Wullie

No doubt we'll all be listening raptly to Shearer's comments on the situation in his post-match interview.

If we indeed were forced into that bastardized 3-5-2 because Martins was feigning injury, he should be training with the reserves until the summer and shipped out to the first club of asking.

Could have sent us down today.

Even if he did feign injury, we'll have to deal with it in another way. We just can't afford to lose him now.

Bullshit we can't. If he plays again after feigning injury and destroying our tactical shape, that would seriously undermine Shearer's leadership.

Beg your pardon but...Shearer's what? Shearer's leadership? Are you sure about that?  :kinnear:

He can only do so much. He could get them motivated beyond belief, if they cannot pass the ball its wasted

No doubt we'll all be listening raptly to Shearer's comments on the situation in his post-match interview.

If we indeed were forced into that bastardized 3-5-2 because Martins was feigning injury, he should be training with the reserves until the summer and shipped out to the first club of asking.

Even if he did feign injury, we'll have to deal with it in another way. We just can't afford to lose him now.

Bullshit we can't. If he plays again after feigning injury and destroying our tactical shape, that would seriously undermine Shearer's leadership.

Beg your pardon but...Shearer's what? Shearer's leadership? Are you sure about that?  :kinnear:

I think you were trying too hard to be snarky there that you forgot to say what you were actually trying to say.

I'm sorry, but theres no way he feigned the injury. I think Shearer is disappointed with the fact that he didn't go with the squad and had a fitness test, and that it was unprofessional but i seriously doubt that he feigned an injury, Martins loves this club and hes stated it time after time. I jut think it was pure unprofessionalism from his part, but we'll see him on the bench.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but theres no way he feigned the injury. I think Shearer is disappointed with the fact that he didn't go with the squad and had a fitness test, and that it was unprofessional but i seriously doubt that he feigned an injury, Martins loves this club and hes stated it time after time. I jut think it was pure unprofessionalism from his part, but we'll see him on the bench.

Ya I'm sure he reall loves the club man. Keep telling yourself that. In fact keep saying that when he's pulling on some midlevel Serie A teams kit next year telling the fans how much he loves them. He does not care about Newcastle and he will leave in the summer. This is clear. Stop fooling yourself. I've supported the guy for a while because he's had a real tough period in his life, but it is ridiculous to literally just not show up to a game of this magnitude.

What does the club need right now? Our pride (and Shearer's), or players capable of making a difference?

Are you sane?

What kind of message do you think it sends out to the players if Shearer says "okay Oba, you feigned injury but I'm going to start you every week anyway because we've got nowt better."

Is everything painted in black and white for you?

Its called player management - obviously Shearer isn't going to say that, but he certainly shouldn't be letting Oba rot in the reserves. The players are nothing but resources, and its how we manage our resources thats going to get us out of this rut. I'd have no qualms if he was shipped out at the end of the season but this just isn't the time for that.

I think you were trying too hard to be snarky there that you forgot to say what you were actually trying to say.

Fairly obvious, really. I don't get a strong sense that Shearer's supposed "leadership" is really all that strong in the first place, so that this little episode with Martins merely goes to underline that analysis for me. Sorry you needed me to spell it out for you though.

What does the club need right now? Our pride (and Shearer's), or players capable of making a difference?

Are you sane?

What kind of message do you think it sends out to the players if Shearer says "okay Oba, you feigned injury but I'm going to start you every week anyway because we've got nowt better."

Its called player management - obviously Shearer isn't going to say that, but he certainly shouldn't be letting Oba rot in the reserves. The players are nothing but resources, and its how we manage our resources thats going to get us out of this rut. I'd have no qualms if he was shipped out at the end of the season but this just isn't the time for that.

Fucking hell man, he's not Fernando Torres. There is absolutely no need for the entire club to bend backwards to accommodate him despite his idiocy.

What kind of message does it send out to the squad as a whole if Shearer is unwilling to stamp his foot down on this?

Are you sane?

Fucking hell man, he's not Fernando Torres. There is absolutely no need for the entire club to bend backwards to accommodate him despite his idiocy.

What kind of message does it send out to the squad as a whole if Shearer is unwilling to stamp his foot down on this?

That he isn't Graeme Souness mk2?

We're third from bottom if you haven't noticed, and thats a pretty big "need" if you ask me.

Are you sane?

That he isn't Graeme Souness mk2?

We're third from bottom if you haven't noticed, and thats a pretty big "need" if you ask me.

There's no "need" as we don't "need" Martins at all.

You cant ban Oba from going to Tup Tup midweek & not expect him to take action. Shares in Cristal are also down due to Oba not being part of the midweek scene*.

*= Please don't get this scene mixed up with the scene Xisco likes.

Didn't Oba pull of something like this before one of Roeder's last game as well?

IMO we can't afford to leave him completely out of the team, even if this is true. But he should be benched for the rest of the games this season and only put on if Shola is our only other option, and then get sold in the summer. And the club should fine him.

Our strikers for the rest of the season should be Carrol/Viduka - Owen. Or maybe all three, kind of like last season?

Didn't Oba pull of something like this before one of Roeder's last game as well?

Great shout :thup:

Pearson was in charge, got this from NUFC.com

"When the team reported on Saturday for training, Oba Martins declared himself unfit, even though the medical people could find nothing wrong with him.

"He did not want to travel, but Nigel Pearson and Lee Clark, who were in charge of the team, told him he had to get on the plane and that he would have to undergo a fitness test at Watford yesterday morning.

"On Sunday morning he did not have a fitness test but declared himself unfit. He said that he had no intention of going to Vicarage Road, even though he was ordered to by the coaches as he was still a member of the squad and everyone should stick together.

"As a result, Martins did not go to Vicarage Road. He did not fly back with the team and at this moment in time nobody knows where he is."

"In the team meeting, while Nigel Pearson and Lee Clark were going over tactics, N'Zogbia was texting on his mobile phone.

"Some of the senior players were furious, and as a result N'Zogbia was removed from the substitutes' bench."

Nicky Butt tends not to say a great deal, but when he does speak publicly, it's worth far more than the cloying tosh and doublespeak that some of his colleagues indulge in:

"It needs to be put out that not every player playing in Newcastle colours this season has played for the shirt or played for everybody connected with the club.

“The new manager is definitely a good capture for us and hopefully he can come in and sort a few things out. The majority of lads in the dressing-room are good lads and good professionals, but there are a few who don’t want to play for the club.

“The sooner he gets them sorted out the better. If players don’t want to play for the club, they should be got rid of as quickly as possible. I’m not normally one who will come out and slag my teammates off, but there are genuinely one or two lads in there who don’t want to play for the club. We know that and the fans know that.

“I feel there are a lot of players who give 100 per cent the whole time and maybe don’t always do well, but there are others who have ability and don’t want to do well.

”I'd like to play for Sam. He's a no-nonsense man. I'm only talking from an outside point of view but everyone has respect for him as a coach and he embraces the new things that come into the game. He looks forward at new things coming into the game and that can only be good."

viduka?? :lol: I bet he won't play 1 game for the rest of the season.

You are probably right, I must admit I'm not up to date on when he is back from his injury as I'm pretty used to him being injured :)

But when I read the interview with Shearer where he said that Viduka still could play a part this season I presumed he was back soon ;)

Guest toonlass

Speaking to Setanta, Alan Shearer struggled to hide his frustration with Obafemi Martins after Newcastle’s draw at Stoke.

Martins pulled out at 11am on the morning of the game, citing a groin problem that had not been evident in the entire build-up to the match.

Shearer was clearly bemused by the Nigerian’s late withdrawal and he warned Martins that he may now have conceded his place to goal hero Andy Carroll.

“Possibly we could have won the game if Martins had been fit. I was disappointed it took until 11 o’clock to sort out the injury in the first place,” Shearer told Setanta Sports.

“There was no evidence earlier in the week that he had the injury. It was disappointing that after two days of practicing a system, we weren’t able to implement it.

“He just said he woke up late and had a sore groin, the medical staff saw him and he wasn’t fit to play. We’ve asked him to explain it, and we’ll look at him further in the morning.

“But out of every negative you take a positive. Both Andy and Shola [Ameobi] have given everything and proved a point today.

“The big man’s come off the bench after two goals for the reserves and he’s shown to me he wants to play a big part in our fight. I was delighted for him. I just told him to go and make a hero of himself – what a fantastic header it was.

“We know that if we get balls into the box…the size of him…not many players will handle him.”

Newcastle had earlier fallen behind to a goal from a corner by Abdoulaye Faye, a corner Shearer felt should never have been given.

“I was disappointed with their goal. Not only because we allowed them a free header, I didn’t think it was a corner in the first place.

“I was aggrieved by one or two decisions – particularly that one – there were one or two players going over the top as well.

“Stoke take forever to take those throw-ins, 30 seconds to a minute every time they get one, they dry the ball…they throw it in, but we had to handle that.

“Apart from the goal, I thought we handled the aerial bombardment very well. Not many teams snuff Fuller and Beattie out but I thought our three lads at the back were excellent. They handled everything that was thrown at them…plus a little bit more.”

Aye Ameobi has shown that he is fully deserving of pulling on the black and white shirt

of Grimsby Town

Pleased with the way Shearer phrased that. Theres no implication at all that he's blaming Oba for it, just disappointed that its happened so late.

Saying "we've asked him to explain it" is pretty much pushing the root cause over towards most likely being Martins own fault, or his own bs.