Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Ronaldo and Optimistic Nut are reaching NE5 esque levels when it comes to Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen.

It would be ironic if both were injured and a Nile Ranger/Andy Carroll partnership fired us to safety in their absence :lol:

yes, unquestionably, and if you extend in to 9 years it proves Ameobi's a better goalscorer.

or if you extend it to 3, the Martins - Owen arguement looks somewhat redundant

Between 1997 and 2000, was someone like Dion Dublin better than Alan Shearer just because 1997/8 for Shearer was basically a write-off due to injury, while Dublin consistently got 15-20 a season for Villa & Coventry?

my orignal post was referring to the injury records of both Owen and Martins, which are not comparable at all. Maybe you missed the point

This season though, it is. In fact, Martins' has been worse...which is somewhat important, you know, when you have 6 games left to save your status in the Premiership.

If he's fit, he starts as far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue that some are trying to make into one.

With Owen, for me there is genuine worry that his presence in the starting 11 will take us down. There has been nothing in his last few games to suggest he'll help keep us up

Last day of the season against Villa, last kick of the game and one of our strikers* is one on one with their 'keeper. They score we win the game and stay up, we draw we go down. Who would you have taking the shot?

*Nile Ranger not included

Viduka is our best finisher by some distance tbh. Shame he has the mobility of a table and four chairs

Ronaldo and Optimistic Nut are reaching NE5 esque levels when it comes to Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen.

Baba, honest opinion. If Shola had gone and declared himself to Nigeria, what would you have thought? :lol:

Having Shola play on two of my favorite teams would be incredibly soul crushing. My heart sinks everytime I see the guy. I avoid his thread on here because it depresses me. It probaly wouldn't be all that bad, until Shola was standing ten yards offside during a crucial qualifier in Swaziland or some equally s***** place. Honestly I'm amazed he's not in our squad right now. Being a s*** player from England is like a free pass in. Last year Kayode Odejayi, possibly the worst player in the world ever, got a cap for us.

His injury record isn't even nearly comparable to Owen's ffs. ???

The last 18 months since Owen's two serious injuries which were freak incidences, it has been.

What I was suggesting. He's liable to pick up the odd niggle, much like Owen is.

yes, unquestionably, and if you extend in to 9 years it proves Ameobi's a better goalscorer.

Between 1997 and 2000, was someone like Dion Dublin better than Alan Shearer just because 1997/8 for Shearer was basically a write-off due to injury, while Dublin consistently got 15-20 a season for Villa & Coventry?

my orignal post was referring to the injury records of both Owen and Martins, which are not comparable at all. Maybe you missed the point

This season though, it is. In fact, Martins' has been worse...which is somewhat important, you know, when you have 6 games left to save your status in the Premiership.

If he's fit, he starts as far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue that some are trying to make into one.

With Owen, for me there is genuine worry that his presence in the starting 11 will take us down. There has been nothing in his last few games to suggest he'll help keep us up

Last day of the season against Villa, last kick of the game and one of our strikers* is one on one with their 'keeper. They score we win the game and stay up, we draw we go down. Who would you have taking the shot?

Tough one that actually, as I don't think Owen is fantastic in a 1 vs 1 situation with time to think either.

If fit then Viduka but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

It would have to be Viduka.

Failing that, Owen. I know he's not brilliant one-on-one but I still trust his ability to hit the back of the net over Martins. Knowing Oba, he's just as likely to hit the steward in the back row than he is to hit the top corner of the net.

Guest neesy111

should players be playing on form or reputation

because ppl have a go at players like duff and butt who are playing on reputation, but when it come's to owen then he's immune as ppl keep saying he's going to score the goals

when?? 1 goal in 13 that's worse than every 1st team striker (that include's shola), it's no point him scoring a hat-trick v villa if we're already down

This 1 goal 13 stat that has become the yardstick, how many of the 13 has he started.

12. All but Arsenal.

The last 13 games Michael Owen has played:

In reverse order:

1)Stoke = 0

2)Chelsea = 0

3)Arsenal (sub 79 mins) = 0

4)Hull City = 0

5)Man City (went off 19mins) = 0

6)Blackburn = 0

7)Hull = 0

8)West Ham = 1

9)Hull = 0

10)Liverpool = 0

11)Wigan = 0

12)Spurs = 0

13) Pompey = 1

That is 2 in 13 (if me reading NUFC.com is correct), if I had of went 1 more game back it would of been 4 in 14. WOEFUL, yes. The fact is Oba & Owen are both crocks & because they are not on the pitch enough we are down the bottom. The two of them atm still look our best goal threat.

Some of them clearly think that we'd perform better without Owen in the side.

Either going 4-4-2 with Martins & Carroll. Or Shola, Xisco, or a crippled Viduka. Or going 4-3-3 with them. Who the f*ck knows. They never explain their opinion beyond "michael owen is crap".

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1627897,00.html

No Oba Fall Out Says Coach

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United coach Iain Dowie says that Obafemi Martins remains an integral part of the club's relegation fight and hopes that the Nigerian striker will be fit for the Magpies' six-game run-in.

The 24-year-old didn't feature during Saturday's 1-1 draw at Stoke after reporting a groin problem on the morning of the game.

And, while gaffer Alan Shearer was disappointed with the timing of Martins' withdrawal, assistant Dowie insists the matter has now been dealt with.

"There hasn't been a falling out with Obafemi Martins and the matter has been dealt with," he said.

"It's gone and it's in the past and he has said he is fully behind the cause here. We never said there wasn't an injury.

"All Alan expressed was his disappointment that he had not been told about the injury until 11.15 on Saturday morning, which was too late.

"It was disappointing, that's all, because we had been working on a system all week and then had to scrap it at the last minute because of the injury to Oba.

"There is no bad feeling. He has gone away for a scan and hopefully the prognosis will be a good one and he will be back involved quickly, because he is an important player for us, no doubt.

"The communication should have been better, but to be fair to Oba he was desperate to be involved and maybe that was why he kept quiet about the injury."

Good news.

if this doesn't show you that AS and ID are in control then I don't know what will -  I like it.  Situation happened, Shearer mentioned it briefly in the press, they tried to bait him and get him to maybe causea rift. Shearer stook to his guns, the matter was dealt with. And we move forward.