Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Some quotes today:

Bafetimbi Gomis: 'Marseille and Lyon just couldn't sort out a fee this summer.' #OL #OM

Bafetimbi Gomis: 'I did not make the financial sacrifice to sign for Newcastle.' #NUFC #OL

Bafetimbi Gomis: 'I cannot see myself signing a contract extension with Lyon. It worries me greatly that I'm in the reserve team again.' #OL

So reading that the problem was we weren't offering him good enough personal terms. 

Could have been the financial sacrifice of being asked to pay his own agent fees or give up his loyalty bonus?  Could be wages of course but we didn't hear much about that being a problem at the time.

Also wonder what he's think of the financial sacrifice he could be taking soon if those 75% taxes come into force over there.

EDIT: Didn't see the comment above.

Could have been the financial sacrifice of being asked to pay his own agent fees or give up his loyalty bonus?  Could be wages of course but we didn't hear much about that being a problem at the time.

Also wonder what he's think of the financial sacrifice he could be taking soon if those 75% taxes come into force over there.

"Newcastle went back on my agreement w/ them" seems fairly straight forward to work out.  :lol:

Thing with Gomis' wages is, it's not simply a case of giving him £65k a week or whatever, but I imagine we probably offered him the same as what the likes of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cisse, Debuchy, Mbiwa, etc which sounds less than Gomis' Lyon wage. I guess a pay structure is all well and good, but if a player of a similar level to all of those and not a great deal better, comes in on bigger wages, you get the others wanting the same. An extra £5k a week all of a sudden looks like an extra £30-40k a week.

Thing with Gomis' wages is, it's not simply a case of giving him £65k a week or whatever, but I imagine we probably offered him the same as what the likes of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cisse, Debuchy, Mbiwa, etc which sounds less than Gomis' Lyon wage. I guess a pay structure is all well and good, but if a player of a similar level to all of those and not a great deal better, comes in on bigger wages, you get the others wanting the same. An extra £5k a week all of a sudden looks like an extra £30-40k a week.

Yep.

Yep.

A fair point, definitely, but how is it relevant to this?

Gomis: 'Lyon and Newcastle agreed a fee of €8m plus €2m bonuses but then Newcastle went back on my agreement w/ them.'

Don't believe for a second we were genuinely interested in signing him. Had everything been agreed then he would have 'failed' the medical a la Maiga and the deal would have been off. We threw bids in and strung it out but had push come to shove then we'd have found a reason and backed out regardless.

Small-time cunts, man. Zero expenditure, zero ambition.

He's claiming that we went back on an agreement.

How do other clubs manage these wage increase demands I'm always reading about?

Depends on the club I suppose.  Some have higher revenue, some have lower wage bills prior to increased wages and some are simply willing to spend a higher percentage of their revenue on wages.

For reference we spend 69% of our revenue on wages, a total of £64.1m, up 20% from the previous year (or did as of the last published accounts).  Of course that should drop significantly soon with the new TV deal and Wonga contract.

One of the excuses given in the Pardew statement was that we are only looking to sign players who will improve the squad. Of course that comes with a caveat that the players that will improve the squad will come with bigger wage demands. That's the real reason that this deal fell through ultimately. We just weren't prepared to meet his demands. Which is fine, if that's the line we are going to take, I just don't see how we are going to be able to sign a better quality player if we are not going to pay the going rate.