Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

One of the excuses given in the Pardew statement was that we are only looking to sign players who will improve the squad. Of course that comes with a caveat that the players that will improve the squad will come with bigger wage demands. That's the real reason that this deal fell through ultimately. We just weren't prepared to meet his demands. Which is fine, if that's the line we are going to take, I just don't see how we are going to be able to sign a better quality player if we are not going to pay the going rate.

He said we did agree and then we went back on an agreement.  I look forward to the club denial if that's not the case.

One of the excuses given in the Pardew statement was that we are only looking to sign players who will improve the squad. Of course that comes with a caveat that the players that will improve the squad will come with bigger wage demands. That's the real reason that this deal fell through ultimately. We just weren't prepared to meet his demands. Which is fine, if that's the line we are going to take, I just don't see how we are going to be able to sign a better quality player if we are not going to pay the going rate.

He said we did agree and then we went back on an agreement.  I look forward to the club denial if that's not the case.

I couldn't really care less whether the club comment or not tbh, half of what they say is spin and the other half is unmitigated bullshit.

That could easily mean we agreed his wages but not his agent/s commission on top. I can't see the club issuing a denial either, for the same reason.

That could easily mean we agreed his wages but not his agent/s commission on top. I can't see the club issuing a denial either, for the same reason.

How could it possibly mean what you're saying?  How could agreeing to something then going back on it cover what you're trying to make out?  The quote again 'Lyon and Newcastle agreed a fee of €8m plus €2m bonuses but then Newcastle went back on my agreement w/ them.'

How could it possibly mean what you're saying?  How could agreeing to something then going back on it cover what you're trying to make out?  The quote again 'Lyon and Newcastle agreed a fee of €8m plus €2m bonuses but then Newcastle went back on my agreement w/ them.'

It depends on whether you take his words literally as gospel I suppose. I don't because I've had a suspicion that his preferred move was to Marseilles anyway, but he might have come here if we dangled a big enough carrot, which we clearly didn't.

It depends on whether you take his words literally as gospel I suppose. I don't because I've had a suspicion that his preferred move was to Marseilles anyway, but he might have come here if we dangled a big enough carrot, which we clearly didn't.

His words are fairly emphatic from what I can see.

I would imagine they just employ people who negotiate contracts effectively.

Yeah I'm sure plenty of clubs have better negotiators.  Don't think any negotiator is going to get a Footballer to drop his wage demands significantly if he's just not that bothered about signing for the club though.

His words are fairly emphatic from what I can see.

tend to agree with Tron here and as to his words, everyone in football lies to serve their own purpose, to say otherwise is naive.

Don't see any reason to believe he prefers Marseilles, except pessimism. Not that I know more than anyone else obviously.

He kept liking NUFC-related pictures on Instagram during the entire window, so I think we were his preferred destination.

Positive that Deschamps is recommending us. Incredibly amateur to agree deals and then expect a player to lower his demands.

Surprising behaviour from this football club? Nope.

Don't see any reason to believe he prefers Marseilles, except pessimism. Not that I know more than anyone else obviously.

I thought there were reports from France that his preferred choice was Marseilles but they had asked him to be patient and wait until his contract had run down and then they would be able to bring him in at a lower fee and meet his demands. He's stayed at Lyon so that makes me more pessimistic definitely.

I thought there were reports from France that his preferred choice was Marseilles but they had asked him to be patient and wait until his contract had run down and then they would be able to bring him in at a lower fee and meet his demands. He's stayed at Lyon so that makes me more pessimistic definitely.

Totally missed that if it was the case.

Footballer wanted more money shocker

NUFC Don't want to pay shocker

How do you get that from the quotes?

Newcastle United asked me to take a pay cut to join them, reveals ...

Mirror.co.uk-37 minutes agoShare

Lyon forward Bafetimbi Gomis has admitted that his proposed move to Newcastle United broke down because he refused to take a wage cut. The French ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-united-transfer-news-magpies-2262408

Lyon forward Bafetimbi Gomis has admitted that his proposed move to Newcastle United broke down because he refused to take a wage cut. The French ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-united-transfer-news-magpies-2262408

So he didn't want more, he just wouldn't accept less.

I would have thought NUFC pay a higher salary to our top players than the French teams (apart from PSG and Monaco) pay their top players. Wasn't Gomis wanting £80K a week mentioned at one point? I wouldn't have thought that was true. I doubt Gomis is on £50K at Lyon.

I think Gomis' quotes could be related to the fact that Lyon didn't want to pay the 5% fee they owed Saint-Étienne from a sell on clause as well as all the agent fees. NUFC may well have agreed wages with Gomis but when they were asked to pay the Saint-Étienne sell on clause fee they probably wanted Gomis to take it out of his wages.

Footballer wanted more money shocker

NUFC Don't want to pay shocker

How do you get that from the quotes?

Instead he'll stay at Lyon and wonder what the fuck happened to his wage when the 75% tax comes into affect :lol:

Claims he spoke to Pardew and agreed wages with him before hand btw ???

So he didn't want more, he just wouldn't accept less.

More than we would pay

Totally missed that if it was the case.

Yet Jean Michel-Aulas, president of Lyon, complained to French football authorities last month that his Marseille counterpart Vincent Labrune had continued to approach Gomis and ended any hope of a fresh deal.

Aulas had said last month: "We saw Vincent on August 2 and I asked him to stop his manoeuvres.

"But Marseille continued, and it was only after I verified that they didn’t want to invest the sum that was demanded that I asked for an explanation from the league’s Commission for Legal Affairs."

Labrune had hit back at the claims by saying: "As I said to Jean-Michel Aulas, I’m not going to shoot myself in the head because players are interested in the sporting challenge at Marseille.

"Our strategy is good."

Ronnie Gill today - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lyon-drop-complaint-over-marseilles-5909623?