Relegation might be a good thing

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ok i know i am going to get shot down by most people on here but if we don't get relegated there is no way we will be able to get rid of the dead wood on massive contracts. Dont get me wrong the cons far outway the pros on going down, and maybe i am trying to cushion the blow should the worst happen, however consider:

- If we dont go down, the likes of geremi, smith, butt, viduka, owen, duff will all still be here picking up almost half a million pound a week between them.

- We can build a new exciting team with up and coming talent.

- We might get the chance to celebrate winning the league again

I am sure someone else can produce a list of cons for going down, with money being at the top of everyones list, but should the worst happen it may not be the worst thing to ever happen!

I am sure someone else can produce a list of cons for going down, with money being at the top of everyones list, but should the worst happen it may not be the worst thing to ever happen!

It wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen, but it sure as hell won't be a good thing.

The only pro i can think of in regards to going down, is arguably what you've outlined (which would leave us with what, btw? Fuck all but youngsters in the squad, that's what), and watch us probably win more games than we'd lose for once.

Other than that, i think it'd probably end us for a good long while.

While we may build a new exciting team with up and coming talent if we go down, I think it's much more likely that we'll see Shola and Carroll as our first choice strikers, and Carr and Ramage leading the defence.

Guest smudger017

It's quite arrogant to assume instant promotion; West Ham went down a few seasons back with a better team than the current Newcastle one and perhaps assumed they would win instant promotion - they didn't.

Get rid of the deadwood, that's fine (I believe it's possible), Tottenham have shipped out much of their own fringe players on loan when they assumed no-one would want them, but what's the chances of keeping the better players?!  The new players coming in will be of Championship standard; the revenue generated by life down there won't stretch to anything else and any decent youngsters who emerge may be poached by Premier League sides.

No positives for me.  We underestimate the standard of the Championship, anything is possible, I truly believe that, and do not seem to fully comprehend what the huge drop of revenue will mean.  It will cause shockwaves which are very difficult to recover from even after a return to the Premier League.

I think I have been through this stage of feeling relegation would be a blessing in disguise, to be honest there are pros and cons with both scenarios, staying up and going down. I know which one I would prefer and every other fan would too.

The important thing though is that no matter what happens, next season we learn the lessons and start building. If we get relgated make damn sure we bounce right back. If we stay in the premier league, eradicate the parasites (even if it means taking huge losses on them) and bring in players who both have the desire to suceed and the ability to make it happen.

Guest FooFighter

I don't think soooooooooooooooooo  :nope:

it would be awful  :weep: :weep: I can't see any positive in it whatsoever, I would not want to think about 'going back up' and celebrating the fact, we shouldn't be going down anyway :frantic: :angry: :weep:  :frantic: :frantic:

Relegation a good thing?

Leeds, Ipswich, QPR, Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Coventry and Leicester all say hi.

Although I dont want us to get relegated, we'd be in the best shape out of all the clubs that have ever been relegated from the Championship.