Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Good point and the lads actually looked like they cared 2nd half also not a sniff of smith woohoo!!!

I think Martins might be ready to destroy Fulham all  on his own, might of been a good move by Kev get him wound up  >:D

Butt, Martins and Beye good

2 out of 3 isn't bad.  Butt ... dare I say it, I'd rather start Smith in midfield.  At least he'll last 90 and complete passes in the 2nd half. 

Bollocks, Butt did well tonight. Playing with the two closer to him means he doesn't have to resort to flash passes all the time and there's an extra player there to help out.

Guest MrShens

For about 30 minutes in the second half I thought we were going to win.

I haven't felt that in a long time.  Much better.  I loved it when Viduka, Owen and Martins all ran together only for the ball to be overplayed by just a tiny bit.  It looked quality and we need to see more of it - I bet the Birmingham back four shat their pants.

That'll do. Taking Martins off was frustrating, but this was a crucial, crucial point. I wasn't watching it, but if we were pushing too much and then leaving ourselves open to attack, it could have been quite dangerous, and potentially disastrous. Containment when you're ten games into the season and up against the Mackems is a bit of a disgrace; but in this situation, it's probably sensible.

Keeps him fresh n'all.

Can't wait for Saturday. Well done boys, hard fought point.

Performance by Barton was of sub Fumaca standards.

Absolutely terrible. I can't remember one time where he made an easy pass look easy. If he made it at all. How he stayed on is beyond me.

His passing was honestly probably the worst i have ever seen from a midfielder. Overall credit to KK for whatever he said at half time because we were much, much better

A fair result all things considered. We'll beat Fulham on Saturday.  :thup:

Must start with Martins, Viduka and Owen for the majority of games left this season if possible. It puts teams on the back foot.

Martins did well, as did Beye. :)

The Martins substitution was absolutely appalling, robbed us of all attacking initiative and any chance of going on to win the game in one fell swoop. We had at least 3 players he could have taken off and not weaken us defensively/offensively (Barton Owen and Viduka, and perhaps Taylor who was completely invisible in defence anyway)

Slightly better 2nd half

But what is Keegan thinking not bringing on Zoggy when we were on top, and then bringing him on for Martins! FFS

God if he had brought Zoggy on for Geremi the snail and maybe Duff for Barton we might have got 3 points, but no were happy just with the 1 point

Get a f****** grip, Birmingham were there for the taking and we copped out! Lightweight c***s

Fuckin awful first half

Decent second half, should have won it.

Confident we'll stay up now.

Geremi and Barton please just fuck off.

Harper 6

Beye 6

Taylor 5

Faye 4

Enrique 7

Geremi 3

Butt 6

Barton 3

Martins 7

Owen 7

Viduka 7

That'll do. Taking Martins off was frustrating, but this was a crucial, crucial point. I wasn't watching it, but if we were pushing too much and then leaving ourselves open to attack, it could have been quite dangerous, and potentially disastrous. Containment when you're ten games into the season and up against the Mackems is a bit of a disgrace; but in this situation, it's probably sensible.

Keeps him fresh n'all.

Can't wait for Saturday. Well done boys, hard fought point.

We had them pegged back and bumming them in the face. They were completely out of it by that point.

Valuable point.

Bewildered by Martins being subbed, who looked like he seriously considered crying for a moment before decding to get the arse instead. Don't blame him.

Why the fuck does Geremi still take these set pieces, he can't clear the first man!

Cracking shot from Enrique. If he gets a long run with a confident team next season I believe he will prove to be a much better player than the one we generally see now.

Went a goal down and came back to equalise and win a point. That has to be worth smiling about if not exactly shouting. (Oh how the mighty have fallen though to be pleased at that.)

Harper 7

Beye 5

Taylor 6

Faye 5

Enrique 5

Geremi 6

Butt 7

Barton 3

Martins 7

Owen 6

Viduka 3

Viduka, 3?

:rolleyes:

I should add that I missed the first 30 mins. If he was good during that period, he can have a 5.

Very relieved at the result. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, I'd replace Keegan. We managed to scrape something on individual quality - in particular Martins' athelticism causing them problems. We didn't look like a coherent team out there.

Brum were very poor. Fulham will set us more problems.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

My ratings:

Harper: 7

Beye: 8

Taylor: 7

Faye: 6

Enrique: 7

Butt: 7

Barton: 6

Geremi: 6 (7 if it wasnt for his corners, which pissed me off!)

Martins: 8 (Man of the Match)

Owen: 7

Viduka: 7

I must say that Beye has impressed me very much, and cant remember we have had a good right back in the time I have been supporting Newcastle....

Guest Chris P

The Martins substitution was absolutely appalling, robbed us of all attacking initiative and any chance of going on to win the game in one fell swoop. We had at least 3 players he could have taken off and not weaken us defensively/offensively (Barton Owen and Viduka, and perhaps Taylor who was completely invisible in defence anyway)

what about Taylors first half header . staight back at them

I think the question you have to ask yourself is... Were you more confident of staying up before or after the game? Definately after for me.

Encouraged by the second half. But not by much.

I'm not bashing Owen just stating the fact that his left foot has probably cost us around 10 goals this season.

Anyway, Owen is absoilutely worthless unless Martins is on the pitch, as he will unsettle defences and allow Owen to get in.

You can only imagine what we would have been like with Martins and Viduka upfront and Zoggy on the left, which is infact our best three options in these positions.

However, Keegan has sold his soul by making Owen captain and deeming him undroppable and that pisses me off because it is costing us points.

Guest kingdawson

After watching the whole match, i thought you lot did more than enough to get the 3 points tbh. Butt and Martins played well, and it also helped that you didnt play that impostor of a footballer, Smith.