'Dream Team' vision for Stags bid

Ally

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/7318218.stm :lol:

A man bidding to buy Mansfield Town is planning to rename the club Harchester United after the former Sky series The Dream Team, the BBC has learnt.

John Batchelor, former owner of York City, submitted a bid to majority shareholder Keith Haslam on Wednesday.

Producers of the Sky series confirmed Mr Batchelor had made an approach to use the name.

It is understood the racing car enthusiast also plans to use actors from the television series at the club.

Mr Batchelor said: "Football supporters in general have to understand that if they want professional football in their town, they have to accept it has to be done on a commercial basis.

"Harchester is more promotable than Mansfield. That's not any form of insult to Mansfield at all because it's a club with a long tradition but it's just a fact of life.

"One club has been on the television for 10 years and the other one hasn't."

The businessman changed York City's name to York City Soccer Club when he was at Bootham Crescent to attract American interest.

Mansfield are currently second from bottom in the Football League.

Mr Batchelor was initially part of a consortium before deciding to bid for the struggling League Two club on his own.

The club has undergone a name change once before - from Mansfield Wesleyans to Mansfield Town in 1910.

That is just fucking ridiculous.

"Football supporters in general have to understand that if they want professional football in their town, they have to accept it has to be done on a commercial basis.

... yes, okay that's true but... how to begin explaining :kasper:

Guest Brummiemag

What a disgrace. Disrespecting and riding roughshod over a hundred years of tradition. These people have no idea about tradition, loyalty and supporters and no love for football. I feel really sorry for the Mansfield fans, I've met quite a few and their a good bunch of lads.  W**kers like  Batchelor should stay well clear.

Guest toonlass

I'd rather see my club go out of business than have something as humiliating as that inflicted on them.

Surely the FA can veto this kinda shit?

I can understand the MK Dons thing, thats because they moved areas but this is shocking.

I wonder what the Mansfield fans think of this. Surely an early April fools joke?

cock wipe.

Why not focus on building a half decent side at the club.  Any team that is doing well and winning will pull the fans back in regardless of the name.

Even if it was Pat Butcher FC.

Don't see what's so saleable about Harchester United for that matter. Who gives a shit about involving 2nd rate actors from some daft tv show?

A much better idea would be to rename the club Whorechester United and have strippers at every match. That would get them on tv no question.

I work in Mansfield, they've spent years trying to get rid of the chairman HASLAM, i'm sure they would rather have him than change their name.................I'm back to work on Monday so it'll be interesting to hear the Crak?