PRE-MATCH West Ham v Newcastle

STM

What does the fact they keep changing their strikers tell you?....................... that they are in poor form.

Cole scored when he came on last weekend so i'd guess that he will partner Sears (who was one of their better players by all accounts). Either way, if Ashton doesn't start all the better for us, as he is their best striker (even if he is playing poorly).

I don't find the prospect of defending against Cole, Sears, Ashton and Zamora that worrying. Especially, considering we've conceeded only two up against strikers such as Bent, Keane, Berbatov, Doyle, Defoe and Jones, who i'd consider better players.

As for their defence, not many have managed to keep a clean sheet against our attack so i'd certainly expect us to score.

But for me the biggest question mark is whether the midfield can be a touch more fluid against West Ham, than they have in the last few games. If they go out and dominate, we will win.

They were poor against us earlier in the season, Zoggy had a great game as an attacking fullback.

he did in the second half and we even had a spell in that game where we tried to pass and use vidukas touch instead of lumping it on to his head 40yds out.

They were poor against us earlier in the season, Zoggy had a great game as an attacking fullback.

he did in the second half and we even had a spell in that game where we tried to pass and use vidukas touch instead of lumping it on to his head 40yds out.

He set up both of Viduka's goals in the first half iirc.

Second half he played further up the pitch, we brought Martins on and kept hitting them on the counter attack.

He set up both of Viduka's goals in the first half iirc.

Second half he played further up the pitch, we brought Martins on and kept hitting them on the counter attack.

played better in the second half for me....thats probably when i thought "if we play him...play him in midfield"

I think I've only seen one West Ham match all season. Are they never on TV?

Know what you mean, i'd struggle to name who plays starting XI for them over recent games. Get very little media coverage although they have been the architypal midtable team for this season.

I'm surprised you were that positive since you thought we should have stuck with Allardyce instead of taking a risk bringing Keegan back.

...and you still maintain Owen isn't a good finisher.  :pow: ;)

I said he's not a World class finisher which he isn't.

Perhaps that's the difference between going to games and seeing some of the chances he misses compared to watching highlights over the Internet.

Most modern strikers miss alot of chances.  Name a better goal poacher.

Try digging the original thread up and you might have a clue what we're on about rather than jumping in without a clue.

I know what you're talking about mate.  My point about Owen remains.  He said Owen wasn't a world class finisher.  He clearly is, just not his all round game nowadays.

Being a World class poacher doesn't make you a World class finisher.

True, but he is a world class finisher in my eyes. It depends what you classify as a World Class Finisher.  I would say it means you have converted a high percentage of your chances at international level against quality opposition and have a good games to goals ratio something like 1 goal every 2 games.  Both of which Owen has done.  Define what makes a world class finisher.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=51424.msg1263711#msg1263711

Interesting Slant.  Who would you consider a world class finisher in your eyes in the world today?

As has been said in that thread there isn't many now, Eto'o, Henry, RVN are the 3 stand out.

As I said I'd trust Viduka in a one on one situation more than I would Owen, Owen's strength is using his footballing brain to get into the positions where he'll get more chances to finish than Viduka.

Owen has a higher goals to shots ratio this season than Eto'o. 

Therefore, by your reasoning is a better finsiher.

Owen Shots:28 Goals:10

Eto'o  Shots:58 Goals:15

http://www.squadgod.com/players/MichaelOwen

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=11718

The difference being Eto'o is a player who shoots from anywhere within 30 yards of goal where as Owen doesn't, I'm talking about what I'd consider to be goalscoring opportunities.

So basically what your saying is a world class finisher is someone in say the top 10 of the world,  within 10 yards of the Goal one on one with a keeper of equal ability with an equal unchanging global weather system, uniform pitches, equal levels of fitnessetc......

Basically what I'm saying is you can't decide what a world class finisher is by your theory.  Every thing has to be exactly the same.

I'll stick by saying if you stick it in the back of the net more than most then you're a world class finisher.

EDIT: I think we should end this debate, it's pointless and must be well annoying for others.

Baggy handed his arse on a plate dontcha know. [Onlyjokingbaggy/]

FWIW you do talk a lot of sense about football.

It'll be an interesting game. West Ham have been off the boil for a few months now and even though they didn't suffer a what's-left-of-morale destroying defeat or draw at Derby the performance was far from convincing. On the other hand our performance against the Mackem's wasn't fantastic either. I'd like to see us up our game again this weekend and give them a pasting.

My heart says we'll win, my head says a draw or a lucky win to us.

2-1 win I reckon. They are fairly shit, with a miserable twat manager, plus I'm counting on us winning so I can dredge up Martin Samuel Anti-Keegan articles to gloat over (he's a WH fan).

(and a fat cunt)

2-1 win I reckon. They are fairly shit, with a miserable twat manager, plus I'm counting on us winning so I can dredge up Martin Samuel Anti-Keegan articles to gloat over (he's a WH fan).

(and a fat cunt)

haha, i was JUST about to post '5 pages in and no-one's mentioned the most satisfying reason for us winning this game will be KNOWING that prick is gutted we've beaten them'