Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Looks like Heskey could be out for the season, something about Martin O'Neill wrestling him to the ground in training.

How exactly could Fabregas play alongside Xavi and Iniesta?

Exactly. Their system works like it does due to having that holding player there. And Cesc isn't good enough to dislodge either of those two.

Xavi's suceeder.

We all know that. But what is the point of buying him now? If he even wants to go now, as Cesc will know that in a few years when Xavi is on the way out he could then stand a chance of getting a regular game.

Iniesta goes to the left (he is kinda wasted there but has played lots as winger), midfield pair of Xavi and Cesc. He is however, looked more as the long term replacement for Xavi, who's turning 30 this season (although no signs of him decaying so far).

I don't think it's going to happen this January really, no snowball chance in hell. I just finds all the Cesc obsession quite entertaining. It happens every time a former youth player makes it big away from the fold.

Guest Heneage

I found it truly amazing that Xavi still lives with his parents in Terassa, not only that but his bedroom is tiny! No big telly just a bed and some shelves for medals.

And yes, our system works due to our holding mid. That was one of Rijkaard's greatest tactical changes. We always played Xavi as a deep-lying playmaker in the mould of Guardiola (he was always hailed as his successor), but that was really holding his game back in hindsight. Rijkaard played him further forward in the field and gave him a holding mid to protect him, and he finally fulfilled his potential.

Also, we aren't changing our system. Iniesta plays left wing pretty often. Again, I think it's detrimental and would rather wait on Cesc at least another season, but as I said we are historically pretty anal about bringing back prodigal sons.

Guest Heneage

And yes, our system works due to our holding mid. That was one of Rijkaard's greatest tactical changes. We always played Xavi as a deep-lying playmaker in the mould of Guardiola (he was always hailed as his successor), but that was really holding his game back in hindsight. Rijkaard played him further forward in the field and gave him a holding mid to protect him, and he finally fulfilled his potential.

Also, we aren't changing our system. Iniesta plays left wing pretty often. Again, I think it's detrimental and would rather wait on Cesc at least another season, but as I said we are historically pretty anal about bringing back prodigal sons.

Would Cesc qualify as homegrown for the Champions League? I say that knowing you aren't exactly short of home grown players. :lol:

Would Cesc qualify as homegrown for the Champions League? I say that knowing you aren't exactly short of home grown players. :lol:

No, he moved out when he was... 16, I think? UEFA only counts years after they are 15 for the homegrown rule.

Xavi's suceeder.

We all know that. But what is the point of buying him now? If he even wants to go now, as Cesc will know that in a few years when Xavi is on the way out he could then stand a chance of getting a regular game.

It's not just as simpe as getting to sign someone just as soon as you need them.  There is a chance of another club snapping him up. 

Also, Iniesta will probably deploy Henry's position on occasions.  Even if he's not as good there as he is in the middle.

Also, you can't just sign a player in a playmaker position and expect him to be a tit-for-tat replacement right off the bat. Xavi has played with the likes of Messi and Henry for several seasons now. He's been training with Iniesta for the past 8 years... you need to account for the time it would take Cesc to wed into the side. It has taken some seasons for Arsenal's midfield to look as compact as it does now.

I found it truly amazing that Xavi still lives with his parents in Terassa, not only that but his bedroom is tiny! No big telly just a bed and some shelves for medals.

What...you been there?

No he hasn't, it was on some TV show like Futbol Mondial or something many years ago.

What...you been there?

No he hasn't, it was on some TV show like Futbol Mondial or something many years ago.

Aye it's quite hilarious that he has a small room at his parents house (like many 20somethings do in Spain), but instead of some shitty trophy for placing 4th in the local football tournament he has Champion's League medals,  :lol:

The guy really lives like many people of his age do in Spain, thing is they aren't loaded with millions!

What...you been there?

Aye it's quite hilarious that he has a small room at his parents house (like many 20somethings do in Spain), but instead of some shitty trophy for placing 4th in the local football tournament he has Champion's League medals,  :lol:

The guy really lives like many people of his age do in Spain, thing is they aren't loaded with millions!

Have you got a mullet?

Guest Heneage

What...you been there?

Yeah of the 3 spaniards I know 2 live at home with their parents. Must be awkward when he wants to bring a girl back though, he's only got a single bed. :lol:

How exactly could Fabregas play alongside Xavi and Iniesta?

Exactly. Their system works like it does due to having that holding player there. And Cesc isn't good enough to dislodge either of those two.

I think Cesc is better than Iniesta personally. I think he has more to his game. Still, Andres might just be a better fit for what they're doing at Barca.