Other clubs' transfers

Dave

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/nov/05/boltonwanderers-premierleague

Bolton Wanderers' losses count the cost of Premier League survival

The financial figures published by Bolton Wanderers yesterday for the year to 30 June 2009 itemise the bewildering contradiction at the heart of the Premier League's boom years. Vast amounts of money are pouring in – fortunes more than can ever have been imagined when struggling Bolton allowed the Normid supermarket to be built into one end of Burnden Park as a desperate 1980s economy measure – yet most clubs are losing millions and falling further into debt.

Bolton finished 13th last season, and the fact that this is their ninth on the trot in the Premier League is described justifiably by the chairman, Phil Gartside as "a fantastic achievement for Bolton Wanderers". Yet the accounts lay bare the cost of doing so: Wanderers' parent company, Burnden Leisure, made £59m last year, a huge turnover at the Reebok Stadium for a provincial town football club, yet paid wages of £40.9m and lost £13.2m.

This, according to Gartside, is the price of Premier League survival for the smaller clubs, the massive wages paid to players at the top clubs trickle down, becoming unpayable for those paddling to stay up. With a wage bill on that scale, and net debts of £64m, relegation down across the financial chasm to the Championship terrifies Bolton and others in a similar position who, like Portsmouth and Hull City, are perennially tempted to overspend. Gartside acknowledged in the accounts a "fear factor beginning to emerge amongst Premier League clubs outside the top few".

Bolton's ability to operate with thumping losses and meaty borrowings is due to the backing of the club's owner, one of the lowest profile among the roster of rich men who have over recent years folded Premier League football clubs into their portfolios. Edwin Davies, who made his fortune manufacturing thermostatic controls for kettles, lives in the Isle of Man, one of the less sun-kissed of the British protectorate tax havens.

Davies is described by Bolton as a "benefactor" and he did put solid money into the club when he bought up his 94.5% stake in 2004. These accounts show that he has made his latest contribution in huge loans which charge a rate of interest handy for him in current economic conditions. Davies's company, Moonshift Investments, loaned Wanderers £23m last year, at 10% annual interest, so the football club paid Moonshift £2m "in respect of arrangement and guarantee fees and interest".

Gartside, in the accounts, said: "I would like to acknowledge the special contribution of our owner Eddie Davies, for his ongoing support in [overhauling Wanderers' playing squad] and other investments in the club."

That tribute is heartfelt, because Gartside knows Bolton would most likely be nowhere near the Premier League, and possibly in serious financial difficulty, without Davies. Yet the owner's support, like membership of the World's Greatest League, comes at a cost for the Trotters.

Honestly, I still think Sam Allardyce would have been a great success in Newcastle United should he was afforded proper time.

Bolton are fucked. The quicker they dispense with Gary Megson the better. Megson is just not good enough.

Bolton and Newcastle's loss - Blackburn's gain.

What made you think Allardyce would have been a great success for us? Many of the useless high earners were signed under his jurisdiction and we played football that rarely looked like getting us a result. Also, what do you mean by success? Just not getting relegated?

What made you think Allardyce would have been a great success for us? Many of the useless high earners were signed under his jurisdiction and we played football that rarely looked like getting us a result. Also, what do you mean by success? Just not getting relegated?

Sam's track record, mainly. Yes he did sign some useless high earners and play some dire football, but he wasn't given time to rectify the situation. The same excuse can be applied to Roeder and Kinnear, but Sam is different. Sam has substantial managerial ideas, justified by his undisputable success in Bolton. And I also agree to many of Sam's ideas. Many mock Sam's big backroom staff group, many mock Sam's percentage football etc - but Sam has proven that these work in Bolton.

Sam comes from the smaller Bolton to the bigger Newcastle. Bigger names, bigger betting chip, bigger expectations. I expect Sam to stumble, learn and be an eventual success. Newcastle was the perfect club for Sam (from sam's perspective not instant-success-craving Newcastle fan's perspective).

There is no guaranttee that Sam would indeed succeed. But all the ingredients are there. If we couldn't trust Sam to get it right, who could we (whom we can attract) ? Sure, everyone wants an Arsene Wenger, Josep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho. But you have to accept that these candidates are not in our league. Alex Ferguson and Bobby Robson (of Newcastle United) didn't succeed immediately. But they were proven candidates with substantial managerial ideas/ability and the board stuck with them and reaped subsequent results.

I qualify success for Newcastle united as consistent top 8 finishing, great success as consistent top 4 finishing.

Been reported by our press that we are meeting this Wednesday with Man City officials to talk about Robinho's transfer...

he's always struck me as a troublemaker at clubs, can be brilliant but when he gets in moods can be very bad for a club.

Yay, I was waiting for this one to happen at some point, finally we have been linked with Gourcuff  :celb:

Beggars belief that Milan got shot of him. Mustve been too young or something

The papers here link us with a different player every 2-3 days, every week of the year. So it's only a matter of time that we end up linked with any pair of legs in the footballing world. There's always wishful thinking this one  might come to pass though. I love watching him.

Yay, I was waiting for this one to happen at some point, finally we have been linked with Gourcuff  :celb:

They did turn their back on Vuckic.

Guest Heneage

It is and was to a lesser extent at the time, but I don't think they expected to sell Kaka at any point.

They also sold him for five times what they paid. I think in part they didn't expect Bordeaux to match the agreed fee, and when they did they just thought why not sell him. They would take him back for 15m now if you let them, but it's clear he's worth more than that. It's just another poor deal by one of the Milan clubs really.

Steven Caulker, Jon Obika and Ryan Mason now on loan to Yeovil till the end of the season.  All had originally been 1 month loans.

John Bostock on loan to Brentford for an initial 1 month.

Andros Townsend has his loan to Leyton Orient extended till January.

Even with Danny Rose and David Button recalled from Peterborough and Crewe respectively, Spurs have still got 17 players out on loan (by my reckoning).

See the headline: United set for £20m Cole bid.

Joe Cole? Very good player but has had his injury problem's lately.

Ashley Cole? Hmm would Chelsea sell him for that?

Oh wait its Carlton Cole, that makes sense :lol: