Milner on his way?

stozo

Severely lacks the pace for the modern game. Moving him central would save his game, could see him effective on the left center mid in our 4-3-3, cutting inside and having a crack. Good enough for our current level- top 8 IMO.

Why though? His passing isn't that great and he's not exactly great at tackling... Pace isn't his only weakness.

To his credit he's got a powerful shot which he craftily never uses to keep the opposition guessing...

Severely lacks the pace for the modern game. Moving him central would save his game, could see him effective on the left center mid in our 4-3-3, cutting inside and having a crack. Good enough for our current level- top 8 IMO.

Umm, can you honestly name a single regular first team player in last season's top 8 who Milner would get a game in front of?

I don't understand what people see in Milner, we know all of his shortcomings but what exactly are his good points? He has a good attitude and doesn't get injured... anything else?

Milner seems to be suffering from fitness this season, I don't know why I got this impression but he does seems slower than before.

Milner on his day is a nightmare for the opponents as he is two-footed and has great shot power,

and if he can improve his crossing a bit he will be a very reliable winger for every team.

However last season he even lost his shot power and contributes very little. It may due to Sam's shitty training method but who knows?

Would Milner get a game for Villa?

As things stand, yes.

Our glaring weakness this year (well, one of them) has been we have no right side whatsoever. No right sided midfielder, and no right back.

He'd have got plenty of games last season, it just depends who else we buy this summer.

As things stand, yes.

Our glaring weakness this year (well, one of them) has been we have no right side whatsoever. No right sided midfielder, and no right back.

He'd have got plenty of games last season, it just depends who else we buy this summer.

Has there been any rumours linking Finnan with your lot, brum?

With him out of favour at Liverpool I'd personally say he could still be an excellent player for one of the teams just outside of the top four. I still think he could do a job at Anfield, really.

As things stand, yes.

You lot generally play a 4-3-3 with Agbonlahor on that side though don't you? Whenever I've watched Villa you seem to play with the big powerful target man with two pacey outlets either side.

Surely Agbonlahor is a better option when Villa's style of play is a fast, counter-attacking one? Milner in either wide position pretty much annihilates that tempo.

As things stand, yes.

Has there been any rumours linking Finnan with your lot, brum?

With him out of favour at Liverpool I'd personally say he could still be an excellent player for one of the teams just outside of the top four. I still think he could do a job at Anfield, really.

Finnan's been linked with Fulham.

Aye, saw that today, just wondered about Villa simply because of them not having a right-back to begin with, and then with Mellberg leaving... he'd be ace for them.

As things stand, yes.

You lot generally play a 4-3-3 with Agbonlahor on that side though don't you? Whenever I've watched Villa you seem to play with the big powerful target man with two pacey outlets either side.

Surely Agbonlahor is a better option when Villa's style of play is a fast, counter-attacking one? Milner in either wide position pretty much annihilates that tempo.

We did last year but haven't played Agbonlahor wide much at all this season. Apart from anything else, he's wasted out there.

We've played 4-4-2 a lot of time, with Young on the left and Petrov on the right, and Barry and NRC in the middle, and Agbonlahor up front with Carew. Then towards the end of the season, we switched to a midfield diamond with Young just behind the strikers in the free role (which worked very well).

Aye, saw that today, just wondered about Villa simply because of them not having a right-back to begin with, and then with Mellberg leaving... he'd be ace for them.

He's getting on, though. I'd rather we found a longer term solution, we've done two years without a proper right back.

He's getting on, though. I'd rather we found a longer term solution, we've done two years without a proper right back.

Aye, I keep forgetting his age because of the way that he looks. He's 31/32 now isn't he?

Would just seem to me to be a very good instant-fix who could probably do you for a good season or two.

It's a big ask to get a young lad to come straight in and do the business as first-choice.

As things stand, yes.

We did last year but haven't played Agbonlahor wide much at all this season. Apart from anything else, he's wasted out there.

We've played 4-4-2 a lot of time, with Young on the left and Petrov on the right, and Barry and NRC in the middle, and Agbonlahor up front with Carew. Then towards the end of the season, we switched to a midfield diamond with Young just behind the strikers in the free role (which worked very well).

Martin O'Neill in Keegan copy shocker.

Three years if you include Hughes. ;)

Three years if you include Hughes. ;)

Well, yes.

Even that Bardsley wasn't an improvement when we had him on loan. He's at the Mackems now, which says a lot.

• 1 month later...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article4340085.ece

James Milner keen to negotiate better Newcastle deal

George Caulkin

In the middle of a summer during which he has again been linked with a move away from St James' Park, James Milner is angling for an improved contract with Newcastle United. The England Under-21 winger agreed an enhanced four-year deal 12 months ago but is seeking what he regards as his market worth.

As has become traditional during transfer windows, Milner has been courted assiduously, by Aston Villa, where he spent a successful season on loan in 2005-06, and has been monitored by Liverpool. Despite the arrival from Mallorca of Jonás Gutiérrez, a rival for Milner's position, Newcastle have made it clear that they do not want to sell the 22-year-old.

Milner is keen to continue his footballing education under Kevin Keegan, the manager, but he believes that he deserves a pay rise. Within the past year, players such as Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Claudio Caçapa have arrived at Newcastle on high wages and offered questionable value for money, while Milner, who is not among the biggest earners, is a hardworking, talented and popular member of the squad.

At a time when wage restraint is a theme on Tyneside, Milner's timing can be regarded as imperfect. His agent first made contact with club officials several weeks ago, but no meetings have been scheduled. Milner does, however, fit the player profile that the club are keen to nurture: young, hungry and eager to improve.

Newcastle could argue that they have more pressing contractual matters to attend to, with Michael Owen, the striker, and Steve Harper, the goalkeeper, about to enter the final season of their respective deals.

In the case of Owen, player and club have reiterated their eagerness to reach a successful outcome and the striker's advisers have informed Newcastle of their ballpark requirements. More talks are scheduled to take place before the start of the new campaign.

Uh-oh, can't see that going down well on here.

News on Owen is promising though.

I don't know how any of us here can even begin to have a discussion about this, unless it's based entirely on hypothetical figures. We simply don't know what the players are earning.