Milner on his way?

stozo

milner in themiddle is what ive been pleading for now for ages, played there for leeds originally under venables and england under 18's. Reminds me of scholes, technically very gifted, not much pace, but a good brain, which with the right coaching could be a very useful tool to us

:-X

milner looked average to decent in the middle for under 21s and that level is miles off the premiership. the only aspect of his play that stood out was his ability to get shots in and only then cos the poor tactical awareness and team play at that level means you get acres of space around the edge of the box. other than that his general play wasn't noteworthy and he certainly never looked 'great' in that position. a comparison with paul scholes  :iamatwat:

For the wide positions, we've got Milner, Duff, Zoggy and Gutierrez, not to mention Lua Lua coming up through the ranks, who I think needs to be given more experience. Somebody's got to go, or be moved to another position.

Milner did well at Villa down the middle. He can beat a man on both sides, and has a good shot on him, so you can see the logic. Somehow I just think that lack of outright pace is going to limit how far he's going to be able to go in his career, no matter how hard he works.

I reckon Keegan will try and move him into the middle and this is the right thing to do. The lack of pace shouldn't matter quite as much in the middle however I'm not quite sure he is good enough to make that position his own. He does have potential though and if he really worked at his game could turn into a Scholes type player.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Cost cutting exercise, turn milner into a playmaker and save 10 million!  :razz:

Seriously though, could work, none of the top playmakers are blessed with pace, Scholes, Alonso, Fabregas, Lampard etc, as you dont have to get in behind the defence.

Worth an experiment me thinks!

he's hardworking enough to suggest it could work with him playing through the middle, a box to box midfielder, when you think about it neither lampard, gerrard, barton, scholes, rob lee... had a great deal of pace about them either.

Guest Darth Toon

Makes a lot of sense - certainly has the workrate, and decent shooting from distance on either foot.

Relative lack of pace (he isn't quite as slow as some are making out) is less of an issue than out wide too.

Cost cutting exercise, turn milner into a playmaker and save 10 million!  :razz:

Seriously though, could work, none of the top playmakers are blessed with pace, Scholes, Alonso, Fabregas, Lampard etc, as you dont have to get in behind the defence.

Worth an experiment me thinks!

Yeah, they'll no doubt move him to central midfield and then claim that it's just like getting a new signing.

Taylor's new contract, a "teenage" Damien Duff, and Milner out of position will be trumpeted as our big summer moves.  ;D

said for ages he should move into the middle, as bobyule says he can beat men on both sides, has two good feet and a good shot

he's got the engine as well, i'd worry about the physical side a bit but if someone was in there to protect him i think it could very well be an astute move by KK

yes but the players mentioned could pass the ball, milner can't

nobody really thought owen could pass much, til it turns out he could last season...see no reason why milner couldn't flourish in that position if he plays a simple game

granted he's unlikely to turn into fabregas

He can't cross the ball at all but i don't think his general passing is that bad. I'd be more confident in him passing the ball forewards and sideways than trying to hit an accurate swinging cross from the wing.

Stats don't lie.

Yup. Like our best run last season happened when Milner was out of the team.

Bit harsh, think it was more the coinciding of Smith not being in the team...

Think he's worth a go there, more than anything because i can't really see a great deal of attacking midfield options on our current budget. Be interesting to see if Keegan pulls someone out the bag though...

i still think his crossing and corner taking is better than geremi's personally

If we're relying on Milner's crossing & corner taking next season, we're fucked.

Might be wrong but didn't Guthrie take some corners for Bolton?

I think KK will improve Milner. He's got the basics down, works hard and he's brave (shows for the ball and isn't afraid to try the difficult pass or take players on). KK's also said that he's the fittest player in the team so he could be the box-to-box midfielder if he can improve his technique.