Todays Rumours....

Guest johnson293

Sunday Sun (print) - We are beating the Boro in the race to sign Turan. Emre's agent is trying to get him a deal with Gala. Boro's consolation will be signing Milner. Duff could be on his way out as his home is now up for sale after being told he is no longer part of first team plans. We have also made contact with Zarate agent.

whereas we might well be in for another false dawn the way things are turning out..

The season only fucking ended last week :lol: The transfer window's not even open yet!

Well, at least the seem to be building a serious challenge to the top 4 rather than talk about it (or it being impossible) like we seem to be doing..

They're building a serious challenge by being linked with loads of players in the News of the World?  ;D

Ermm, Woodgate, Modric..?

Woodgate was in January and we offered just as much for Modric.  Seems so far we've both been willing to spend the same cash, we're hardly just talking about it are we..  We're putting in firm offers for players and sooner or later this window we'll get the players we're after.

Basically my point is people are getting carried away with the usual Spuds rumour hype more then ever this season.  So far they look to have signed one player, while they're rumoured to be signing 700.  But people need to step back and realise they haven't signed anyone at this point, nobody has, relax the window isn't even open yet.

Well, at least the seem to be building a serious challenge to the top 4 rather than talk about it (or it being impossible) like we seem to be doing..

They're building a serious challenge by being linked with loads of players in the News of the World?  ;D

Woodgate was in January and we offered just as much for Modric.  Seems so far we've both been willing to spend the same cash, we're hardly just talking about it are we..

I would say there is a substantial difference between trying to get players and actually having them sign a contract. I think it´s fair to assume both Woodgate and Modric would have been first choice reinforcements seeing as we went in for them early, but we lost out to direct competition in both cases. If that makes you comfortable about achieving our goals than good for you, but it certainly doesn´t appease me (and yes, I know it´s early days, but I don´t see how that prevents me from concluding that Spurs are going after their business better than we are at the moment).

Edit I also fail to see the logic in excluding Woodgate from planning for next season. He will be there next season, won´t he, or did they only sign him for the second half of this season? Some would argue that it was excellent timing for that transfer as the competition would have probably been far greater in the summer if Woodgate had continues playing the way he had in the first part of the season.

Woodgate was in January and we offered just as much for Modric.  Seems so far we've both been willing to spend the same cash, we're hardly just talking about it are we..  We're putting in firm offers for players and sooner or later this window we'll get the players we're after.

I think the general point is that Spurs are now beating us to players in the same way that we used to beat them. I can't see that there's much argument there. Their immediate prospects do look better, after all.

I feel confident that we'll sign players this summer. After all, we can at least say that we're on the way up, and we pay well. But a lot of teams who we were ahead of - Villa, Spurs, Portsmouth, Man City, West Ham - have caught up and arguably got ahead.

Sunday Sun (print) - We are beating the Boro in the race to sign Turan. Emre's agent is trying to get him a deal with Gala. Boro's consultation will be signing Milner. Duff could be on his way out as his home is now up for sale after being told he is no longer part of first team plans. We have also made contact with Zarate agent.

All sounds good to me.

I think the fact that Spurs are in London and have qualified for Europe has been as much a factor as anything, personally. Though your concerns are not without logic, I just hope you're wrong!

I would say there is a substantial difference between trying to get players and actually having them sign a contract. I think it´s fair to assume both Woodgate and Modric would have been first choice reinforcements seeing as we went in for them early, but we lost out to direct competition in both cases. If that makes you comfortable about achieving our goals than good for you, but it certainly doesn´t appease me (and yes, I know it´s early days, but I don´t see how that prevents me from concluding that Spurs are going after their business better than we are at the moment).

Edit I also fail to see the logic in excluding Woodgate from planning for next season. He will be there next season, won´t he, or did they only sign him for the second half of this season? Some would argue that it was excellent timing for that transfer as the competition would have probably been far greater in the summer if Woodgate had continues playing the way he had in the first part of the season.

We can't really conclude that the Spuds are 'going after their business better' then us.  They're in the Uefa Cup next season and have the Carling Cup this season, so our negotiators are at a disadvantage straight away.  We're clearly willing to spend and we're going after good players, that's the most important thing to me at this point.  That certainly doesn't equal just sitting around talking about transfers AFAICS nor does it make me worry about false dawns.  What would worry me is if we hadn't made any firm offers for good players yet, if all we were seeing is interest in bargain basement or pie in the sky like last season.

I'm not denying that the Spuds have an advantage this summer, I just think you were going overboard with the negativity.

Woodgate is overrated, he WAS good, but now he's just another average defender. Tbh I'd rate him no more than Faye.

And if we get this Turan guy, from what I've heard/seen of him, he won't be too dis-similar to Modric.

Can't believe no-one's picked up on this one yet:

American president George Bush has emrged as a key figure in Tom Hicks's plans to retain his grip on co-ownership of Liverpool. (News of the World)

:lol:

Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire!! I'd piss myself laughing if he ended up owning them.

If only :lol:

In true journalistic style, he's only loosely linked:

BUSH HOLDS KOP KEY

by CHRIS BASCOMBE

AMERICAN President George Bush has emerged as a key figure in Tom Hicks' plans to retain his grip on co-ownership of Liverpool.

Bush is considering buying back shares in the Texas Rangers baseball team he sold to Hicks in 1998 once his term at the White House ends in January.

The Texas Rangers are worth an estimated £200million.

And the sale of some shares in his American sports interests may be enough to cover part of the cost of buying George Gillett's 50 per cent stake in Anfield.

Crumbling

But Hicks' critics claim he is only considering selling part of the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars ice hockey team because his empire is crumbling.

The next crucial financial deadline is September, when the club must prove they have the funds to begin construction of the new stadium at Stanley Park.

If Hicks and Gillett cannot provide assurances, Dubai International Capital will finally have the opportunity to buy into Liverpool.

What a disappointment. :(

Guest Guinness

Sunday Sun (print) - We are beating the Boro in the race to sign Turan. Emre's agent is trying to get him a deal with Gala. Boro's consolation will be signing Milner. Duff could be on his way out as his home is now up for sale after being told he is no longer part of first team plans. We have also made contact with Zarate agent.

Shit, now this has made the English media Spurs will be in for him! No doubt they'll be after Zarate too, probably as back up for Eto'o, Villa, Forlan, Fred, Owen, Keane and Bent.

Maybe if we feign interest in keeping Duff and Smith we can entice them to make a bid.

whereas we might well be in for another false dawn the way things are turning out..

The season only f***ing ended last week :lol: The transfer window's not even open yet!

Pre contract to tie him up perhaps :smug:

"John Arne Riise is ready to snub a move to Newcastle for the lure of Champions League football next season with Schalke emerging as favourites to sign him. (News of the World)"

PLEASE BE TRUE!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

Spurs may buy everyone, but we will still beat them home and away.

True Spurs could buy Messi and Dean Windass and we would still beat them.

Now now. I think Dean Windass is a bit out of their reach.

"John Arne Riise is ready to snub a move to Newcastle for the lure of Champions League football next season with Schalke emerging as favourites to sign him. (News of the World)"

I only hope that is true.

I only hope that is true.

And to think people thought not having European football would be a bad thing ;).

Woodgate was in January and we offered just as much for Modric.  Seems so far we've both been willing to spend the same cash, we're hardly just talking about it are we..

Was he playing when we beat them 4-1? Yeh thought so.

Don't get pulled in by the hype we have to endure every single year. It goes like this - journalists are asked "who will break into the top 4?" Every single one of them says Spurs, and they've never been right and they still won't be. No matter who they buy - as long as Jenas is there the bad vibes will be too.

It's Karma man. We've got more to be worried about from the likes of Villa and Everton.

Taken from NUFC.com

We understand that United were represented in the Gottlieb-Daimler Stadium on Saturday, as Stuttgart ended their season with 2-2 draw at home to Bielefeld.

The object of our interest is claimed to be the home side's 22 year-old forward Mario Gomez.

And Gomez was on target from the penaty spot as Stuttgart drew 2-2 and claimed an Intertoto spot.

Gomez signed a new five year deal at Stuttgart last summer in the wake of their league title success and has scored 28 goals in 32 club appearances this season.

He's also expected to be an automatic starter for the German national side in Euro 2008 after having won nine senior caps to date and scored six times.

Inevitably Gomez has attracted the attention of a host of top sides across England and Europe, all of whom could offer the lure of Champions League football next season.

Mario Gomez is even harder to sign then Veloso/Modric. One of the hottest prospect in the world and would easily cost over 25m. I don't think this will happen, or I don't want to. We couldn't afford to gamble so many money on just 1 star...and who is a bit injury prone.