The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't see Russia as likely overall winners. Spain, Italy or Germany would be able to exploit their weak defending. (Cue for everyone to put their money on Russia)

The big question for me from last night was why were Holland so bad. Mentally, they didn't look up for it at all and their manager looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. It's not going to be aired much, but you have to wonder about the decision to play Boulharouz so soon after the death of his child. A tragedy like that can affect the whole team, not just the player. For long periods, Holland looked like their minds weren't fully on it.

I can't see Russia as likely overall winners. Spain, Italy or Germany would be able to exploit their weak defending. (Cue for everyone to put their money on Russia)

The big question for me from last night was why were Holland so bad. Mentally, they didn't look up for it at all and their manager looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. It's not going to be aired much, but you have to wonder about the decision to play Boulharouz so soon after the death of his child. A tragedy like that can affect the whole team, not just the player. For long periods, Holland looked like their minds weren't fully on it.

Just typical Holland I thought, In my lifetime they have always been the same, promised so much and delivered so little. I guess it was a bit different this year because they had less superstars and more of a team but maybe the hype caught up with them.

Guest optimistic nit

on the red card retraction, it shouldnt have been a red card to begin with, but the only reason the ref didnt give it was because the ball went out, when it didnt. so the challenge wasnt a red, but the reason he didnt give the red was bullshit. crazy reffereeing.

on the red card retraction, it shouldnt have been a red card to begin with, but the only reason the ref didnt give it was because the ball went out, when it didnt. so the challenge wasnt a red, but the reason he didnt give the red was bullshit. crazy reffereeing.

Was that the easiest way of explaining it? :lol:

Guest LucaAltieri

Germany Italy final I reckon.

On another point, should they do away with extra time? We've had 2 extremes in 2 games - one good example of going for the win (Russia) and 2 teams playing for penalties - dunno what Holland were playing at! However, off the top of my head there were 3 bookings leading to suspensions, one injury to a key player and 2 overly tired teams in the semis. Potentially leading to less exciting games.

90 mins, then pens BUT..... each player on the pitch has to take one.

For a tournament this size with games so close together that's probably a good idea.

Why does the idiot Motson insist on calling Ramos, "Raamos"?

Has corrected himself now and started to call him Ramos and then ruined things by mentioning "Perlo". Anyway back to the game, Spain seeing more of the ball but unable to do anything as Italy have everyone back. Come on Spain!

Fairly disappointing match so far.

Not really, sort of game I expected.

Erm, didn't say I was expecting fireworks either from these two just yet, just from a neutral perspective it's not been that exciting.