Should we Buy Dean Ashton? Forgeddaboutit!

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Redcar Mag

As a player I like him. Was he this injury-prone before he knacked his ankle?

Also West Ham paid 7.5 million for him plus Norwich get 15% of any sell-on fee so I can't see him going for less than £10m.

I dont understand, why do people want us to buy him for under 10 million when there is an under 5 million option? :lol:

Clearly about the highest reservation-price. Of course I'd rather have him for £2m, but I'd still be happy if we got him for £8m.

Not my first choice as a new target-man, but if we don't get any of our other targets, I'd be happy enough with Ashton for under £10m.

Under £20mill as it covers all options in your post Skirge.  :razz:

:lol: you know what I mean.

:D

I am amazed that a canny few are still willing to pay in between £5mill - £10mill for him, totally injury prone and massively over rated.

Guest Stephen927

I wanted him before he signed for West Ham, but he hasn't been the same since his injuries.

Shame, because he had a cracking game in the FA Cup final.

I would avoid him. I think he's a good, clever player but he'd be no use to us on in the physio room which is where he'd inevitably end up.

I'd have him for under £5 million on realistic wages, I can't understand why people would see him come here for more than that though as we’ve got more than our fair share of overpaid crocks who are a drain on the club and offer little in return for the original outlay plus high wages.

The only problem I've got with Ashton is his injury record. I think he's a canny player and would be good in the Viduka role but he just gets injured far too much.

We couldn't rely on him to get fit (and stay fit) for any significant length of time, which is a shame.

If we had both him and Viduka on our books, there'd be a big probabilty that we'd end up having to play someone like Smith or Ameobi (assuming theyre both still here) up top on a regular basis. On top of this, Owen hasnt the best of injury records either, if the worst happens, we would probably struggle like we did this season if we sign someone who'll be on the treatment table more often than not. And im sure most of us dont want to go through the same s*** again now that we have a good manager and good financial backing.

Ashton has looked a better footballer since returning from injury imo, and is a considerably better player than Viduka, but he'd not be a step forward due to his injury problems. A Peter Crouch or Santa Cruz would be, purely because they can be relied upon to stay fit.

The only problem I've got with Ashton is his injury record. I think he's a canny player and would be good in the Viduka role but he just gets injured far too much.

We couldn't rely on him to get fit (and stay fit) for any significant length of time, which is a shame.

He had one very serious injury at West Ham that kept him out for over a season, but his appearance record up until that injury was bloody good.  And 31 league appearaces last season would suggest he's been relatively injury free.  Does he really get injured far too much?