Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Well seeing as the media did not have a clue about any of our other signings this summer, pardon me if I think this might just be bullshit.

and not even a quote in the mirror piece.

Just grabbed this off the Journal website at the bottom of the Milner wage increase article thats got nowt to do with this .

Meanwhile, Newcastle are believed to have become the new favourites in the battle to sign Argentina’s attacking midfielder Pablo Aimar.

The 28-year-old had looked destined to sign for Portugal giants Benfica last week, but Newcastle have made a late attempt to hijack the deal and it is understood they have agreed to go close to meeting the £7m his club, Real Zaragoza, are demanding.

Not that this is any more news than what we already have

Here's hoping that this deal is true, but I have to say it does feel like we're being used. We'll see.

used for what ? if the agent is saying newcastle are interested i doubt zaragosa or benfica will take notice without an official bid from us. if it's on wages it means we have made an approach, if it's to up the fee...that doesn't work anymore as players will often go to the club that bids less of a transfer fee.

What's Aimar's recent injury record like?

Anybody?

Wiki reckons he only played 22 games for Zaragoza last year, sounds worrying.

As I recall, he was simply out of favor.. he's a fragile player, but I don't recall him being seriously injured lately

Here's hoping that this deal is true, but I have to say it does feel like we're being used. We'll see.

used for what ? if the agent is saying newcastle are interested i doubt zaragosa or benfica will take notice without an official bid from us. if it's on wages it means we have made an approach, if it's to up the fee...that doesn't work anymore as players will often go to the club that bids less of a transfer fee.

I think it would hurry Benfica up to be told that we are sniffing around (with the agent telling the press he's opened talks with a premier league club).

and no doubt zaragosa would be willing to go along with that ie lying about another club having made an OFFICIAL approach ?

Guest shearer_206

What's Aimar's recent injury record like?

Anybody?

Wiki reckons he only played 22 games for Zaragoza last year, sounds worrying.

No idea sorry, but, in Keegan we trust and all that.

If I remember correctly he picked up an injury in his second season and missed most of it. Then he struggled to shine in a struggling team so was benched. He's hardly the grafter you want in a relegation battle. But he will do for me. (still can't see it happening though!).

Guest Flair

I cant see him coming here, mainly due to the exposure the rumor has got, both our signings were kept quiet.

bluelaugh.gif

Are you kidding me? Like people would want to know/care about who Guthrie signed for. With small-range signings like Jonas and Guthrie, it is very easy to keep it quiet.

If, IF, this is genuine then you have to wonder what the fuck Keegan was on about when he said that negative comment re: signing Sth Americans. Don't recall it word for word but Keegan doesn't talk just to hear the sound of his own voice.

If, IF, this is genuine then you have to wonder what the fuck Keegan was on about when he said that negative comment re: signing Sth Americans. Don't recall it word for word but Keegan doesn't talk just to hear the sound of his own voice.

Positive view: he never said he WOULDN'T sign any of them, just that he'd prefer Premier League proven players. He's happy to get good players though, wherever they're from.

Negative view: overruled by Vetere/Wise/Ashley and is just a figurehead. In fact we're signing them specifically to piss Keegan off.

Take your pick.

i'm sure he said signing unproven south americans who had no experience of european football was a bad idea, whereas aimar is an established international with 7 years worth of european football including the champions league and has won trophies

Guest Flair

If, IF, this is genuine then you have to wonder what the f*** Keegan was on about when he said that negative comment re: signing Sth Americans. Don't recall it word for word but Keegan doesn't talk just to hear the sound of his own voice.

Positive view: he never said he WOULDN'T sign any of them, just that he'd prefer Premier League proven players. He's happy to get good players though, wherever they're from.

Negative view: overruled by Vetere/Wise/Ashley and is just a figurehead. In fact we're signing them specifically to piss Keegan off.

Take your pick.

Although there is no doubt he has talent I don't really see where Aimar is likely to fit in, Keegan isn't going to drop Owen  for him and he doesn't play wide and is too lightweight for a midfield slot in 4-4-2 or in the Barton/Geremi role.

Although there is no doubt he has talent I don't really see where Aimar is likely to fit in, Keegan isn't going to drop Owen  for him and he doesn't play wide and is too lightweight for a midfield slot in 4-4-2 or in the Barton/Geremi role.

if we are to play 4-3-3 he'd be perfect for a midfield role