Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

One reassuring thing from this (if we don't sign him) is that the powers that be can clearly see we need some creativity in the centre of the park. Fat Sam would have signed another big African bloke who can get stuck in.

Had a funny feeling something like this would happen.

I wonder whether if we were ever really in for him, or whether it was just all bull.

I've a feeling it's the latter.

Guest BooBoo

One reassuring thing from this (if we don't sign him) is that the powers that be can clearly see we need some creativity in the centre of the park. Fat Sam would have signed another big African bloke who can get stuck in.

But were we really in for him? Its not like the Modric carry on, where there was confirmation from NUFC that we had bid for him. There's not been a peep from anyone at SJP about Aimar, just all press and internet gossip.

But were we really in for him? Its not like the Modric carry on, where there was confirmation from NUFC that we had bid for him. There's been a peep from anyone at SJP about Aimar, just all press and internet gossip.

We didn't get Modric confirmation until he signed for Spurs did we?

cheaper and older version of Modric. Par for the course with this board, its like turning the clock back 20 years

I'm sure that somebody somewhere will build a case for someone like Modric [whoever the f*** he is] to be a step forward for the football club and try to tell us all that shopping in this market is superior to the old board attempting to genuinely compete with the other top clubs for the top quality footballers, like the old board did

Unless of course you're a complete thick c*** who thinks that buying people a pint in a pub is preferable marketing strategy

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=17518&view=findpost&p=416148

Make your mind up.

:lol:

class

mackems.gif mackems.gif

:thup: ;D :thup:

:coolsmiley:

Another proud moment of English sports journalism.

But looking at the amount of people on here who believed it was a done deal there is no wonder they always get away with it.

Not just this place like tbf, but still your point stands.  :thup:

KK will be gutted & the again we have been made fall guys again if this is true. However, I think he may be a bit lightweight for the PL.

What it would show is that we are rubbish at convincing quality players to sign for us & we must not be offering top dollar wages. Ashley needs to wise up that we may have to pay a bit more to get the right players in.

Guest Guinness

As was mooted earlier in the thread, I wouldn't be surprised if our name was branded about by an agent to get Benfica to up their bid.

If we were in for him and have indeed missed out on signing him we should try for D'Alessandro instead!

But looking at the amount of people on here who believed it was a done deal there is no wonder they always get away with it.

Wasn't meant to be a dig. The same applies to most other message boards as well of course. Still it makes me wonder how people can be so gullible.

Are the Portuguese media any more reliable than the English? Every English site and paper has reported it, all from Nicko's dribblings. I hope it's sorted tomorrow either way, I can't stand all this "his agent says this, the club say that" bollocks.

Wasn't meant to be a dig. The same applies to most other message boards as well of course. Still it makes me wonder how people can be so gullible.

It's annoying as anything, then the next thing it will all be how he's finished anyways etc

Guest BooBoo

What made me suspicious is that he didnt seem to fit the clubs new fangled criteria- young good prospects whose value will improve rather than dwindle. Given his recent record (and only from what i've read) he would have been a gamble. There's no point replacing one inconsistent injury plagued creator (Emre) with another.

We could use a player like that too, incidentally.

KK will be gutted & the again we have been made fall guys again if this is true. However, I think he may be a bit lightweight for the PL.

What it would show is that we are rubbish at convincing quality players to sign for us & we must not be offering top dollar wages. Ashley needs to wise up that we may have to pay a bit more to get the right players in.

No evidence we were actually really in for him calm down.

You guys take this stuff way too hard. We all had a bit of fun with it now move on.

Matias Fernandez should be nailed on now anyway  :coolsmiley:

Aimar should have been easy to do, but they stumbled on the wages. Poor.

It was the same with Inler. Met the agent, sorted out the player and then got messed around.

Deals are tough to do these days, but it's worse when the expectations are high like they are at the Toon.

He needs a fucking slap

Pablo Aimar is one year older than Arshavin would you believe. Aimar used to be just as good, so if* we can find the old Aimar, it would belike signing Arshavin at a third of the price.

*'If' being the key part of the sentence.

Oh, please. Aimar's on a different planet to Arshavin when he's at his best. Arshavin's had one good season and a few good matches for his country in the summer whereas Aimar built his reputation as the midfield playmaker for one of the best footballing sides over Europe over 2-4 years. There's no fucking comparison. If we can get Aimar back to his best, there would actually be no stopping us.

Guest BooBoo

If (and i have my doubts) we did want him, then the most disappointing aspect for me, is not losing Aimar, but the fact that our recruitment team seem to falling short- Woodgate, Modric and now this (and if the journo is to be believed, Inler).

No evidence we were actually really in for him calm down.

You guys take this stuff way too hard. We all had a bit of fun with it now move on.

Matias Fernandez should be nailed on now anyway  :coolsmiley:

Nah, I'm not bothered if we don't get him; I think he's on the way down. We will of course deny that we were ever in for him but, I'd be surprised if we hadn't at least expressed an interest

If we sign him & really hope we do, can we please sign a DM who is 6ft+ & can jump.

http://soulhonky.com/candanny/basketball-2003-allstar-desmond.mason-dunk-lean%5B1%5D.jpg

?

Just saw this :laugh:

Desmond Mason is class, though. Never fulfilled his potential, but he's fun to watch.