The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

It is now two goals in two games for the Geordie-Nigerian striker that Kinnear has pledged to turn into 'the new John Fashanu'.

A worrying sign for things to come under Kinnear, in terms of the team's overall pattern of play and how the ball-players stand to be wasted. Under Keegan, amidst last season's relegation fight, we played our way out of the bottom 3. Where we've previously seen a team that was re-educated by Keegan to keep the ball on the deck - utilizing the likes of Owen, Martins etc to best effect - it will be different & much harder slog to avoid the chop with Kinnear around, as the Useless Prick up top continues to find a buyer.

I'm actually 90% sure that Kinnear will drop Martins for Owen (or move Martins into midfield and drop Duff) instead of dropping Ameobi. His long-ball tactics simply won't function without Shola in the side.

The crazy thing is, I'm not sure I disagree with him.

I only got to watch about 30 minutes tonight because my cable went AWOL but Shola did look good, won all his headers, got us the pen and looked a lot more useful than I remember. Not claiming he is going to suddenly become a good player but credit where its due.

I'm actually 90% sure that Kinnear will drop Martins for Owen (or move Martins into midfield and drop Duff) instead of dropping Ameobi. His long-ball tactics simply won't function without Shola in the side.

The crazy thing is, I'm not sure I disagree with him.

Maybe we could revert to a similar system to last season if we really must play him, with Ameobi in place of Viduka, Gutierrez for Geremi, and Guthrie for Butt?

What i hate about Shola is the unnecessary pressure he puts on the team from the top.

He gives away needless fouls and doesn't understand the offside rule. You wouldn't mind so much if he learned , but the lad is 27 and still makes the same mistakes.

He was fucking shite today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

He was f***ing s**** today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

Can I just ask in what ways has Martins been better than Ameobi the last 2-3 games?

He was f***ing s**** today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

Can I just ask in what ways has Martins been better than Ameobi the last 2-3 games?

never mind martins, he wants Xisco ahead of him...

Martins have been bad too, but we need his pace.

Guest The Libertine

we know martins is good enough and we know ameobi isnt. simple as that for me.

Do we? x2

saw a diffrent martins to me tonight, i thought he was awful.