Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Guest Redcar Mag

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1342903,00.html

Magpies Sign Midfielder Guthrie

NEWCASTLE United have completed the signing of midfielder Danny Guthrie from Liverpool.

The 21-year-old put pen to paper on a four-year contract at St. James' Park on Friday evening after the Magpies agreed a fee with the Reds.

Danny, signed for an undisclosed fee, told nufc.co.uk: "I'm really happy to be joining Newcastle United.

"I'm ready to get involved straight away and I cannot wait to meet the boys and get started."

Danny spent last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers and was well liked by fans at the Reebok Stadium during his time there.

United boss Kevin Keegan told nufc.co.uk: "I'm absolutely delighted that we've got Danny.

"He proved himself in the Premier League last season so we know he can play at that level.

"He's at the right age and is a good signing for us."

Shrewsbury-born Danny is Newcastle's second signing of the summer following the arrival of Argentine international Jonas Gutierrez from Real Mallorca.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160498080711-1343.htm

Liverpool have agreed a fee with Newcastle United for the transfer of Danny Guthrie to the North East.

The former Academy player, who spent last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, will now discuss personal terms with Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan before finalising the deal.

Liverpool FC Head of Press Ian Cotton said: "We have agreed a transfer fee with Newcastle United for the transfer of Danny Guthrie.

"We have now given Newcastle permission to speak directly with the player."

From .com:

Reds youngster linked

Bolton officials have made it known that they expect to be unsuccessful in their attempts to sign midfielder Danny Guthrie - as the player is coming to SJP.

The 21 year-old spent last season on loan at the Reebok from Liverpool, having spent part of 2006/07 being borrowed by Southampton.

Released by Manchester United as a 15 year-old, Guthrie has made three sub appearances for Liverpool - the last of which was at SJP in February 2007.

To date, Guthrie has made 54 senior appearances, with his only goal to date coming in a League Cup victory at Craven Cottage, on his Bolton debut.

It's speculated that Guthrie could be part of a possible cash plus player deal for James Milner, amid reports that Newcastle have no interest in taking Jermaine Pennant.

Guthrie was rated in the £2m bracket recently when a move to Bolton looked more of a foregone conclusion.

I'm sure there's something wrong with me. The other day I totally misread a thread title, now I just read this title as "Reds youngster killed". At least if I go on a murderous rampage, you're all out of reach :aww:

Hope this is more a signing aimed at giving the squad some depth OR improving the quality of the reserve side than KK looking at putting this kid into the first team.

Not good enough to shift us to the top six, so if not for one of the reasons above, why bother?

Class player. That's from what I saw of him at Southampton, great potential tbh.

Nice to hear from someone who has actually seen him play.  So GG what kind of player is he and what do you recall him doing particularly well?

I'm actually still in major shock that Liverpool might be seriously interested in Milner. Such an average player, he's not exactly going to make the difference in the top 4 is he?