Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Woo! We've signed someone! All very meh, as I don't know how good or bad he is. Any extra body helps though, we'll just have to wait and see how he gets on.

Of course I'll give him a chance. But I'd loved to have seen the reaction had Souness or Roeder made this signing.

Did either Souness or Roeder do anything to warrent having as much faith put in them as Keegan?

I remember being very "meh" when during his first stint in charge Keegan signed a 26 year old midfielder from Championship side Charlton for 700k.

Still, Rob Lee turned out all right, didn't he?

I remember being very "meh" when during his first stint in charge Keegan signed a 26 year old midfielder from Championship side Charlton for 700k.

True, but it could go either way.

Could indeed, but the amount of people not giving him a chance is fucking pathetic. 

Just hope the poor lad doesn't read "his thread" at his new club's message board.

Could indeed, but the amount of people not giving him a chance is f***ing pathetic. 

Just hope the poor lad doesn't read "his thread" at his new club's message board.

I for one wish him the best of luck...it really looks like he's gonna need it against all the doom sayers.

Isnt a single transfer in the history of the game that is/was guaranteed to be a success

He is someone who will come in, perform to a decent but unspectacular level and will fill one of the many gaps we have in the squad on the cheap. If we get anything more than that then he has performed beyond my expectations. I don't expect us to sign a whole load of top quality players in one summer so people like this will be needed.

Its really not something to get so worked up about, is it?

He is someone who will come in, perform to a decent but unspectacular level and will fill one of the many gaps we have in the squad on the cheap. If we get anything more than that then he was performed beyond my expectations. I don't expect us to sign a whole load of top quality players in one summer so people like this will be needed.

Agree completely.  We need a couple of "ready made" younger players to fill the 2 extra subsitute places this year as well.

He is someone who will come in, perform to a decent but unspectacular level and will fill one of the many gaps we have in the squad on the cheap. If we get anything more than that then he was performed beyond my expectations. I don't expect us to sign a whole load of top quality players in one summer so people like this will be needed.

There's a seven man bench system this season too, making a bigger squad even more important.

I do wish we could go back to the days of Matty Pattison starting Premiership games and being unable to fill a five man bench though. Great times. :(

Isnt a single transfer in the history of the game that is/was guaranteed to be a success

Erm, I know.

Ronaldo? The real one that is.

Could indeed, but the amount of people not giving him a chance is f***ing pathetic. 

Not one person isn't giving him a chance, we're just giving our opinion. We could fake optimism, but what would be the point of that.

Not one person isn't giving him a chance, we're just giving our opinion. We could fake optimism, but what would be the point of that.

I'm sorry but that just isn't true.  Don't fake optimism, be optimistic. O0

It's true. He will get a chance every time he plays. If he plays well people won't call him a bad or average player.

It's true. He will get a chance every time he plays. If he plays well people won't call him a bad or average player.

yes they probably will. in the same way crowd mentality will let a favourite get away with being poor regularly,then a non crowd favourite will get slagged off when playing OK. 9think warren barton after the crowd turned against him)

yes they probably will. in the same way crowd mentality will let a favourite get away with being poor regularly,then a non crowd favourite will get slagged off when playing OK. 9think warren barton after the crowd turned against him)

Thats it, except its even worse, because some people have decided he isn't good enough / shouldn't be here before he's even kicked a ball for us. :(

So now you're guessing that people won't judge his performances fairly, for what reason? Nobody dislikes Guthrie, they just don't think he is a very promising player, and that isn't an unreasonable opinion. It's like Sibierski, everyone thought he was a shit signing, but he proved he wasn't, he was judged fairly.

So now you're guessing that people won't judge his performances fairly, for what reason? Nobody dislikes Guthrie, they just don't think he is a very promising player, and that isn't an unreasonable opinion. It's like Sibierski, everyone thought he was a shit signing, but he proved he wasn't, he was judged fairly.

I think its just that he hasnt really had much of a chance to let people see what he can do.

Sibierski was coming up to the end of his career and his best had been and gone so people had seen enough of him to be able to make a reasoned judgement. Guthrie is only just starting out so deserves the opportunity to be judged on his performances in a black and white shirt alone.

Playing in that Bolton team last year can be no basis for judgement of his ability

this is true. Only the morons who booed when we finished 5th in the league amongst other things will not "give him a chance"

this is true. Only the morons who booed when we finished 5th in the league amongst other things will not "give him a chance"

You agree they exist then?  He's saying they don't.

I took him to be addressing the person/people he's replying too  :cheesy:

How many people on here don't go to games ?

I took him to be addressing the person/people he's replying too  :cheesy:

How many people on here don't go to games ?

Soopa fan TBH.