Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Sporting director Nando Pons said: "We are asking for 15million euros for the unilateral termination of the contract without just cause.

"It's a legal matter. We are not happy about it in the slightest, but Mallorca has to protect its interests."

Anyone know whether we officially hold his registration until the legalities are resolved?

ie could this drag on and we're not able to play him?

Sporting director Nando Pons said: "We are asking for 15million euros for the unilateral termination of the contract without just cause.

"It's a legal matter. We are not happy about it in the slightest, but Mallorca has to protect its interests."

Anyone know whether we officially hold his registration until the legalities are resolved?

Not sure at all. If they're after compensation, that suggests that they've accepted he's actually gone but they want some £££ to soften the blow. If they could hold on to his registration I think they'd have already threatened to.

Just guessing though - I could be totally wrong. 

Not sure at all. If they're after compensation, that suggests that they've accepted he's actually gone but they want some £££ to soften the blow. If they could hold on to his registration I think they'd have already threatened to.

They can't do anything anyway, it's EU law now that players can buy themselves out of a contract if they have 2 or less years remaining on their contract it's just he's only the third so they probably just want to have a go at getting some money on the off chance nobody really understands it.  If he's bought himself out of his contract they have to release his registration.

They can't do anything anyway, it's EU law now that players can buy themselves out of a contract if they have 2 or less years remaining on their contract it's just he's only the third so they probably just want to have a go at getting some money on the off chance nobody really understands it.  If he's bought himself out of his contract they have to release his registration.

The amount of the compensation is not straightforward though, so unless the player & club agree amicably (obviously not the case here) it will at least have to go to some arbitration panel if not to court. Just wondering whether or not we can play him until it's resolved.

The amount of the compensation is not straightforward though, so unless the player & club agree amicably (obviously not the case here) it will at least have to go to some arbitration panel if not to court. Just wondering whether or not we can play him until it's resolved.

I'd imagine we can as he was technically a free agent and then signed for us. The only thing that is in dispute is the amount his former club should recieve. This could be similar to the N'Zogbia situation.

With this law it's simple, the amount of compensation received is the remaining value left on that contract. 

this is a case where this occured.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/117623_43278.pdf

I'd imagine we can as he was technically a free agent and then signed for us. The only thing that is in dispute is the amount his former club should recieve. This could be similar to the N'Zogbia situation.

I think that's probably right like, just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Of course, if he refuses to pay the compensation (say it turns out to be more than the "undisclosed fee" we gave him), FIFA could ban him.

My guess, and it is just from what i've read on here, so it's a pretty wild guess...

He's bought out his contract (with funds from us possibly) and Mallorca are left in a shitty position as they still owe his original Argentinian club some kind of payment. So Mallorca are going to try and get us to pay that as the player is no longer theirs. I'd say Mallorca are in a weak position myself. We will see.

This Webster m'larkey needs looking at though, wide open for abuse and misuse.

Guest Heneage

A lad on another forum whos a River Plate fan claims Velez are notoriously difficult to negotiate with.

Guest SteveT

Great journalism from Luke Edwards

"United have not had much luck when it comes to signing players from La Liga, with £9m flop Albert Luque the last player to swap the Spanish sun for Tyneside three years ago"

So where did that Jose Enrique bloke come from? You know, might have heard of him, first choice left back for the team you're writing about...

Great journalism from Luke Edwards

"United have not had much luck when it comes to signing players from La Liga, with £9m flop Albert Luque the last player to swap the Spanish sun for Tyneside three years ago"

So where did that Jose Enrique bloke come from? You know, might have heard of him, first choice left back for the team you're writing about...

and michael owen signed in between luque and the deadline i think.

making luque the 3rd last player to swap the spanish sun for tyneside.

Guest optimistic nit

i like how everyone was going ape shit about keegan's one off hand comment about not signing players from south america that was taken out of context, and our first signing is from argentina. maybe people should stop letting one off the cuff comment transform into our whole transfer policy and then have 2000 simultanious heart attacks about it.

Guest shaun11177

Mallorca are trying it on, something like we will take it to the courts if you dont give us some money, so give us a bit of money and we'll forget about it.

Dont think they have a leg to stand on.

If the player was on 15000 a week then presumably he would pay the club 1.5m and we would then pay him that money back+according to the ruling we must pay the same amount to Mallorca-an overall fee of 3m-3.5m.

Anything else tell them to take a flying ****.

Guest optimistic nit

id say that our club has been run pretty well (few hiccoups) in the background areas over the last year (if not in the transfer market or on the pitch, which is debatable and i dont want to start one of those threads) so you would hope the club knew what they were doing leagal wise when signing him, and mallorca are just throwing their toys out of the pram or the club have budgeted for any amount that mallorca could reclaim and are happy to pay that for gutierrez

With this law it's simple, the amount of compensation received is the remaining value left on that contract. 

That's not how it reads to me. See section 41 - seems to be part original transfer fee, part old & new wages (bonuses are tricky and subject to negotiation), and part "sports related damage caused to the club, blah, blah, blah" which could amount to anything really.

id say that our club has been run pretty well (few hiccoups) in the background areas over the last year (if not in the transfer market or on the pitch, which is debatable and i dont want to start one of those threads) so you would hope the club knew what they were doing leagal wise when signing him, and mallorca are just throwing their toys out of the pram or the club have budgeted for any amount that mallorca could reclaim and are happy to pay that for gutierrez

Not sure we're officially allowed to do that though, otherwise it could be seen as if we were inducing him to leave in the first place?

That's not how it reads to me. See section 41 - seems to be part original transfer fee, part old & new wages (bonuses are tricky and subject to negotiation), and part "sports related damage caused to the club, blah, blah, blah" which could amount to anything really.

Not sure we're officially allowed to do that though, otherwise it could be seen as if we were inducing him to leave in the first place?

there has already been a precedent (2 actually) so have a look and see what happened then.