Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

It's a Saturday with no real transfer speculation or activity, which allows the WUMs and wrist slitters to crawl out of their dark holes and moan/gossip about Oba to Arsenal, Ashley selling up, and the quality of players they know nothing about.  WUMs thrive on days like these. 

Guest elbee909

This is another signing that we all want to get excited about, but know we can't.

Bit like Habib Beye was for a lot of people, eh?

Guest MaetihS

he is always in and out of the team. was even dropped during the second half of last season.basically, he is real mallorca's version of Milner maybe even less important. Quite dispensable..... read in the fans forum, that the fans are happy to get rid of this deadweight. some are upset cos he is a very hardworking player and i have enough of grafters...we have too many..looking like a League 1 midfield soon. Anwyay, he is not the creative and flair player and not an integral part of the team. their key playmaker is Arango...shld sign him. like my spain friend say, he plays like Emerton. i do not rate Emerton.

You forgot to tell everyone that he's got AIDS as well.. :lol:

Seriously, stop talking utter s****.  Gutierrez is so dispensible to Mallorca that they refused an £8 million offer for him only 6 months ago ;)

heard a rumour while in Spain. if it is true, should put a smile on all our faces. Rumours say we are close to the Aimar deal and that we are looking at Jesus Navas, Capel and lastly which might be true and brilliant, close to a deal for De la Red.

So if we do sign any of those players will you leave?  Considering the bet you agreed to..

Go sleep!!!! stop all these personal attacks. disgraceful/

Guest Heneage

Jesus Navas, the same one who couldn't do the US tour for SEville as he wouldnt leave seville as he suffers panic attacks at being away?

Jesus Navas, the same one who couldn't do the US tour for SEville as he wouldnt leave seville as he suffers panic attacks at being away?

newcastle is very likie seville though....go down the bigg market or quayside and you'll see loads of oranges.

I love how everyone forgets the fact that last summer most people were delighted with the business we did.

Hindsight-tastic.

Most people are delighted with signings like this particular one even though they'd never heard of the player before and it certainly doesn't qualify as a great statement of intent. Make of that what you will.

I'm delighted it shows planks like you that what you read on teh internets isn't the be all and end all about what we're doing. Unfortunately you don't seemed to have taken it on board. Then again it's no surprise really.

Harsh, considering I am not exactly crying with the wolves at every newspaper article that puts our club in a not so favourable light. All I am concerned about is our on the pitch activities, and so far Mr Ashley in his one year stewardship of the club hasn´t exactly blown me away with what he has done to that side of the club. Nor am I convinced he knows what the club needs. I mean, he wears the name of our worst player by a mile on the back of his shirt.. Don´t care about the press, but do care about the quality and depth of our squad. Are you happy with it? I asked you a question earlier about what you thought was required to make this a successful transfer window, which you seem to have conveniently ignored..

Something along the lines of what we did last year will do.

You're a fucking riot, you are. Three lines in that quote - one was irony, one was sarcasm and the other a challenge to your integrity. None of those are personal attacks.

A personal attack can be arranged, if you so wish? Hark, a queue is forming...

I will give him 10 games & see what I think of him after that. I cant recall him standing out in the games I saw on TV but then most of the times Mallorca were on TV they were playing one of the big hitters who dominate possession.

I will give him 10 games & see what I think of him after that. I cant recall him standing out in the games I saw on TV but then most of the times Mallorca were on TV they were playing one of the big hitters who dominate possession.

Ten games? It's a good job Arsenal fans didn't think that way about Henry, or Man Utd fans about Evra.

Guest MaetihS

You're a f***ing riot, you are. Three lines in that quote - one was irony, one was sarcasm and the other a challenge to your integrity. None of those are personal attacks.

A personal attack can be arranged, if you so wish? Hark, a queue is forming...

what a joke u r.

Guest MaetihS

he is always in and out of the team. was even dropped during the second half of last season.basically, he is real mallorca's version of Milner maybe even less important. Quite dispensable..... read in the fans forum, that the fans are happy to get rid of this deadweight. some are upset cos he is a very hardworking player and i have enough of grafters...we have too many..looking like a League 1 midfield soon. Anwyay, he is not the creative and flair player and not an integral part of the team. their key playmaker is Arango...shld sign him. like my spain friend say, he plays like Emerton. i do not rate Emerton.

You forgot to tell everyone that he's got AIDS as well.. :lol:

Seriously, stop talking utter s****.  Gutierrez is so dispensible to Mallorca that they refused an £8 million offer for him only 6 months ago ;)

heard a rumour while in Spain. if it is true, should put a smile on all our faces. Rumours say we are close to the Aimar deal and that we are looking at Jesus Navas, Capel and lastly which might be true and brilliant, close to a deal for De la Red.

So if we do sign any of those players will you leave?  Considering the bet you agreed to..

i will if we sign these players, or players of a certain pedigree. lets put Aimar in this category for your benefit even though one can argue that his career is on the decline and thus more receptive of a move to us. anyway, lets see. Maybe Aimar will join us, as for the rest of the players, doubt so. Yes, the bet is on....have a feeling i am gonna hang in here for a while.

You think around a £10m net spend this year will be a successful transfer window, or are you judging it on other things?

You think around a £10m net spend this year will be a successful transfer window, or are you judging it on other things?

all depends on the players brought in. in these days of bosman and webster spending isn't what it used to be.

I don't care how much we spend if we get the players in that Keegan wants. He obviously wanted Gutierrez and he's potentially cost us naff all. It obviously follows that the best players cost the most, I clearly accept that. I'll just not get caught up in comparing the spend.

As I said, most people were delighted with last summer's business at the time, even if it was only £10m.

I don't care how much we spend if we get the players in that Keegan wants. He obviously wanted Gutierrez and he's potentially cost us naff all. It obviously follows that the best players cost the most, I clearly accept that. I'll just not get caught up in comparing the spend.

How are you going to judge it is what I'm getting at. Obviously Keegan is not going to come out and say "The players we bought this Summer are pretty average. Everyone I really wanted turned us down and we had to go for Dennis' 4th or 5th choices."

I will agree that it's harder to quantify these days, and more money which would normally go into transfer fees will now go into wages instead (this is why I'm concerned about the talk of cutting the wage bill - although I'm not judging yet as at the moment it is just talk). However I would still expect us to be spending as much if not more than our supposed current rivals (other UEFA place challenging teams), all of whom, barring Spurs, have a much lower turnover than we do.

As I said, most people were delighted with last summer's business at the time, even if it was only £10m.

and they were wrong to be delighted. Personally I was reasonably satisfied considering the circumstances. I'm expecting (although hoping for might be more apt) much more this Summer.

How are you going to judge it is what I'm getting at. Obviously Keegan is not going to come out and say "The players we bought this Summer are pretty average. Everyone I really wanted turned us down and we had to go for Dennis' 4th or 5th choices."

I will agree that it's harder to quantify these days, and more money which would normally go into transfer fees will now go into wages instead (this is why I'm concerned about the talk of cutting the wage bill - although I'm not judging yet as at the moment it is just talk). However I would still expect us to be spending as much if not more than our supposed current rivals (other UEFA place challenging teams), all of whom, barring Spurs, have a much lower turnover than we do.

and they were wrong to be delighted. Personally I was reasonably satisfied considering the circumstances. I'm expecting (although hoping for might be more apt) much more this Summer.

Surely we'll only be able to judge via results and performances during the season itself? All depends on people's expectations for next year as well I suppose.

Last season I was happy because we'd made signings in the positions I thought we needed them. Most of the players I knew would do the job under a capable manager, which in turn I thought Allardyce was. I've no problem admitting I was wrong on some of those assumptions, but I rate Keegan much higher and trust him to get in who he wants or who can do the job. Ashley has to help him do that, otherwise Keegan would not be here.

I see your point about spending what our competitors do, but I honestly don't see that it matters a great deal if the quality is there. As Newcastle fans we should know more than any others that simply spending a load guarantees nothing.

they may have a lower turnover but what about their overheads ?

Again, I keep harking back to the Modric offer, but by all accounts that was a very highly-rated young player that Keegan was desperate to get (ITK ;)). We offered a club record amount of money for him, but lost out in the end. I think that's promising in terms of backing Keegan if they think it's required, and also targetting desirable players. I also hope that they've learnt from that, and that we'll get the player next time.

Again, I keep harking back to the Modric offer, but by all accounts that was a very highly-rated young player that Keegan was desperate to get (ITK ;)). We offered a club record amount of money for him, but lost out in the end. I think that's promising in terms of backing Keegan if they think it's required, and also targetting desirable players. I also hope that they've learnt from that, and that we'll get the player next time.

We lost out on a transfer which was seemingly not motivated by the players ambition (all done by his owner/agent) to a club allegedly offering a lower transfer fee and lower wages, and you find that promising?

Its promising we were willing to put up such an amount for a player. Its not hard to see why he would chose spurs over us at the moment but the ambition was there and good to see.

What do you think about the possibility of us spending £10 million net?  Do you think a £10 million net spend is poor?