Hartlepool 1 - 4 Newcastle United - 19/07/08 - Post match reaction from page 12

Dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smith

Alan Smith (born 28 October 1980 in Rothwell, Leeds, West Yorkshire) is an English professional footballer currently playing for Newcastle United. He started his career at Leeds United, before transferring to Manchester United, and he has also been part of the England national football team. His Nickname is the "Goal Machine".

Fantastic! :lol:

I thought it was Smudge or something?

Alan Smith (born 28 October 1980 in Rothwell, Leeds, West Yorkshire) is an English professional footballer currently playing for Newcastle United. He started his career at Leeds United, before transferring to Manchester United, and he has also been part of the England national football team. His Nickname is the "Goal Machine".

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

seconded

Oh dear.

seconded

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He's got a new one...

Guest Brendan_Rice

I think we're waiting for a few big signings to go through (Berbatov, Lampard, etc...) and it will free the money in the market up and we'll start making more moves.

Keegan pretty much admitted the market is stuck right now and it needs to all free up.

Saha anyone?

I think we're waiting for a few big signings to go through (Berbatov, Lampard, etc...) and it will free the money in the market up and we'll start making more moves.

Keegan pretty much admitted the market is stuck right now and it needs to all free up.

Saha anyone?

No way.

As has been said before, we need to avoid buying the cast off's that just havent cut it at the top 4 clubs

predictably, people are making too much of Duff's hatrick today, but the fact is, we could an awful lot worse than giving the lad another chance. His attitude seems to be good and he's by all accounts a very positive member of the squad behind closed doors, and there IS genuine ability in there somewhere, last chance for him.

I thought that after Keegan arrived and I saw him score a cracking goal in the FA Cup against Stoke (similarly sub-standard opposition).

In the relegation battle following, he went missing to the point we had to drop him, alongside a couple of others, to survive. He has a lot to prove and he needs to prove it when the season starts for real.

can't be trailing through the last few pages but (no links please) are the gaols on anywhere....setanta or ssn ?

Yeah SSN have them on... saw them about ten past or quarter past 10 so you shouldnt have long to wait to see them again

Oh dear.

I guess it was Smudger after all.  :laugh2:

He's got a new one...

"His Nickname is the "Goal Machine" or "That daft blonde haired shit who can't put the ball in the back of the net to save his mother's life"."

:clap:

.com

Damien's purple patch

Hartlepool  1  Newcastle  4

Newcastle began their pre-season campaign with a comfortable victory at Victoria Park on Saturday - although they had to come from behind against Danny Wilson's League One outfit.

Debuting their purple away kit, the Magpies lined-up in a 4-4-2 formation spearheaded by a front pairing of Obafemi Martins and Alan Smith - Michael Owen joining fellow forwards Andy Carroll and Mark Viduka on the sidelines with a slight knock.

Kevin Keegan went with a four man midfield, Damien Duff taking the right flank and Charles N'Zogbia working down the opposite wing, with James Milner and captain Nicky Butt occupying the centre.

And with both Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye still on extended leave after international duty, there was a first runout in defence for David Edgar since his hernia op.

The Canadian filled in at right back, while a slimmed-down Jose Enrique appeared on the opposite wing and Steven Taylor partnered Claudio Cacapa in the middle.

A training ground injury to Steve Harper saw Shay Given return to make his first appearance for nearly five months - although Harper should be OK to play at Doncaster.

In typically bizarre weather conditions of bright sunshine and heavy rain, Pools kicked off and scored from their first attack of note on 16 minutes.

Some good work on the left touchline from Joel Porter took Taylor and Edgar out of the game and released midfielder Matty Robson, who got beyond Cacapa in the box and beat Given from 12 yards.

It took until five minutes before the break for Newcastle to find a semblance of form, at which point Milner released Damien Duff down the right and he checked back and equalised with a low left-footed shot beyond the 'keeper.

Within a minute it was almost 2-1 when Martins' low effort towards an unguarded goal was cleared, N'Zogbia and Duff both having shots saved before the interval.

Shola Ameobi replaced Martins at the break and Danny Guthrie came on in central midfield replacing Jose Enrique with N'Zogbia moving to left back.

Duff reverted to the left flank, with Milner playing down the right and it was the Republic of Ireland winger who doubled his tally seven minutes after the restart.

Danny Guthrie found the onrushing Duff, who held off a challenge to fire in from the edge of the box in front of the Newcastle fans housed in the Rink end of the ground - although again there was the minimum of celebration.

Within a minute, Guthrie marked his first appearance for the Magpies with a deflected shot from 18 yards which the 'keeper should have kept out.

Just two minutes later 4-1 seemed inevitable when Ameobi worked an opening and feinted to leave the Pools 'keeper grounded, but proceeded to then somehow lose the ball.

The visitors then made two changes at the back, Ben Tozer replacing Edgar and Callum Morris coming on for Cacapa - with former Swindon man Tozer partnering Taylor when Morris came on at right back.

Newcastle fashioned various chances to add to their lead as Pools faded badly and Duff duly completed his hat-trick with three minutes remaining, beginning the move on the right and taking the return ball, after Smith And Ameobi combined, finding the top left hand corner of the net.

NUFC: Given (Forster 65), Edgar (Tozer 62), Taylor, Cacapa (Morris 71), Enrique (Guthrie 46), Butt, Duff, Milner, N'Zogbia, Martins (Ameobi 46), Smith.

Subs n/u: Lough, Danquah, Godsmark, Doninger.

Jonas Gutierrez watched proceedings from the stand, still waiting for his registration to be completed.

HUFC: Lee-Barrett, McCunnie (Foley 54), Humphreys, Sweeney, Clark, Collins (Nelson 68), Liddle (Power 82), Jones (Boland 54), Brown (Mackay 85), Porter (Barker 75), Robson (Monkhouse 75)

Subs n/u: Rowell, Budtz.

Referee: G. Laws

Crowd: 4,249

After the game, Kevin Keegan commented:

"I thought it was a good game. They were probably a week ahead of us in terms of training but in the end we started to play well and got a lot out of it.

"Duff looked very sharp. I think it's the first time in three or four years he's been fit for pre-season. Every pro will tell you that it's of major importance as it gives you a base for the season.

"He's looked very sharp and he says his weight is down to what is was when he was 17/18 and he looked like and 18 year out there.

"The three goals put a nice seal on it but he's worked very hard, as have all of the players.

"There have definitely got to be some more (signings) in the pipeline. We only had two players (on the bench) today who I would call senior players with us, so that gave us a total of twelve outfield players.

Michael will be back in on Monday but he had a sore calf, obviously we're still missing Mark Viduka and the Spiderman (as the crowd called him) couldn't play as his registration hasn't come through.

"It gave us the chance to look at some young kids and the ones who came on I thought did very well.

"We are like a lot of clubs at the moment, everyone is waiting for something to happen. We are still looking.

"They will definitely be in by the end of the transfer window because you just can't go into the Premier League with this small squad we have got.

"But everyone is working hard and we will see what happens."

Duff has struggled for fitness over the last two seasons, and that can affect a player's confidence. If he's got that sorted out, then we'll have a very good player who can really worry defences.

Nah.

There was a time when Duff was one of the better wingers around. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll do alright if he can stay fit.

Good day out like.

My two-pennies worth:

- Butt had a shocker

- Duff had a canny game, and made nice runs for the goals.

- Zog linked really well with Duff when he was switched to left back

- Ameobi is 100% more useful than Alan Smith

- Guthrie was impressive... seemed to have the drive and desire to get the ball and push forward

On a seperate note, too many of our fans are whinging whining arseholes. Was sat next to a lad who continually swore at the players if they did the littlest thing wrong. And a kid, probably no older than 14, was pissing me off all the way through the game with his "Duff you're fooking shit" routine, even though he scored a hattrick and general play was good. There were some unbelievable comments when Pools goal went in, especially from these two lads. "It's Ashley's fault this like" - "Most of these aren't fit to wear the shirt" - just some of the shit they were coming out with. Makes you embarrassed to be a Newcastl fan sometimes.

Football fans in being retards shocker!

Totally agree by the way, some of our lot are fucking spackas. Encouraged by their brain dead fathas tbh.

Good day out like.

My two-pennies worth:

- Butt had a shocker

- Guthrie was impressive... seemed to have the drive and desire to get the ball and push forward

On a seperate note, too many of our fans are whinging whining arseholes. Was sat next to a lad who continually swore at the players if they did the littlest thing wrong. And a kid, probably no older than 14, was pissing me off all the way through the game with his "Duff you're fooking shit" routine, even though he scored a hattrick and general play was good. There were some unbelievable comments when Pools goal went in, especially from these two lads. "It's Ashley's fault this like" - "Most of these aren't fit to wear the shirt" - just some of the shit they were coming out with. Makes you embarrassed to be a Newcastl fan sometimes.

Shocking that like. :nope:

Good day out like.

My two-pennies worth:

- Butt had a shocker

On a seperate note, too many of our fans are whinging whining arseholes. Was sat next to a lad who continually swore at the players if they did the littlest thing wrong. And a kid, probably no older than 14, was pissing me off all the way through the game with his "Duff you're fooking s***" routine, even though he scored a hattrick and general play was good. There were some unbelievable comments when Pools goal went in, especially from these two lads. "It's Ashley's fault this like" - "Most of these aren't fit to wear the shirt" - just some of the s*** they were coming out with. Makes you embarrassed to be a Newcastl fan sometimes.

Heard nothing of the sort from where I was stood. 

The massive bout of laughter when Shola missed that sitter was hillarious mind.

Blind leading the blind.

Hibs winger finds his confidence after pep talk from star Damien Duff

Jul 20 2008 By Scott Mcdermott

HIBS winger Alan O'Brien has revealed a pep talk from Ireland star Damien Duff helped him recover from a confidence crisis at Easter Road.

The former Newcastle wide man has failed to shine since arriving in Leith at the start of last season.

He came with a huge reputation after breaking into the Toon first team to play alongside the likes of Shay Given, Nicky Butt, Keiron Dyer and Obafemi Martins.

But O'Brien started just seven games for Hibees in an injury-hit debut SPL season and his game suffered as he struggled to settle in Edinburgh.

Only now does the 23-year-old admit he was engulfed by a drastic loss of form and confidence.

But after speaking to old pal Duff (below) - with whom he has played for Republic of Ireland - Alan is determined to show Hibs fans what he can do. He said: "The move hasn't gone the way I wanted but it happens a lot when a player goes to a new club.

"Sometimes it can take a second year before you play your best football.

"I'm hoping this season will be a good one for me.

"There are reasons why it hasn't worked out - injuries, loss of confidence and feeling unsettled.

"I came here with a big reputation - now I need to get it back! Because I'd played in the Premiership everyone thought I was a real big signing for Hibs.

"There was expectation and I felt that extra pressure. But I've done some decent things in my career and need to get back to that level.

"I still keep in contact with Duffer and some of the Irish lads at Newcastle.

"He has kept my spirits up. He has also endured difficult times in his career but told me to keep working hard and it will come.

"I had a crisis of confidence, it was obvious during a few games.

"I wasn't going past players, my crossing was poor. Everything follows on from that.

"You get down about things even away from football. But once you speak to people in the game who can say where you're going wrong you can at least try to fix it."

O'Brien made his full debut for Newcastle in the Premiership 18 months ago and has five caps.

He should have been a huge coup for Hibs but is adamant he now has his confidence back and will be a different player this season.

Alan said: "I felt better near the end of last term and want to bring that into this campaign. I feel happy and settled in Edinburgh now and am thinking positively again.

"My aim is to get back to the kind of form I know I'm capable of - the way I was playing when I was challenging to get into Newcastle's side.

"This was my first move after being at St James' for six years. Then I got a few injuries at the start which really knocked me back.

"But I feel a lot stronger and I'm confident I can do well consistently."

O'Brien will be eager to impress new Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni and force his way back into the international set-up.

But for now he only wants to convince Mixu Paatelainen of his worth.

Alan said: "My sole aim is to do well for Hibs. If I do that the international scene might follow.

"It's always a worry when a new gaffer comes in. But I think Mixu has faith in me, he has been supportive and hopefully will give me a run."

Good day out like.

My two-pennies worth:

- Butt had a shocker

On a seperate note, too many of our fans are whinging whining arseholes. Was sat next to a lad who continually swore at the players if they did the littlest thing wrong. And a kid, probably no older than 14, was pissing me off all the way through the game with his "Duff you're fooking s***" routine, even though he scored a hattrick and general play was good. There were some unbelievable comments when Pools goal went in, especially from these two lads. "It's Ashley's fault this like" - "Most of these aren't fit to wear the shirt" - just some of the s*** they were coming out with. Makes you embarrassed to be a Newcastl fan sometimes.

That was funny.  I have never seen so many supporters just collapse in laughter like they did then.  Might not have been the same reaction in a competitive game.

Amused by the following extract from the Chronicle report:

"And Ameobi – who was given a superb reception from the visiting fans - was also introduced for the second period with Martins making way."

TBH I thought the fans were sending him up.  Hope it doesn't give the club or Ameobi any ideas about the fans being desperate for him to stay.

Good day out like.

My two-pennies worth:

- Butt had a shocker

That was funny.  I have never seen so many supporters just collapse in laughter like they did then.  Might not have been the same reaction in a competitive game.

Amused by the following extract from the Chronicle report:

"And Ameobi – who was given a superb reception from the visiting fans - was also introduced for the second period with Martins making way."

TBH I thought the fans were sending him up.  Hope it doesn't give the club or Ameobi any ideas about the fans being desperate for him to stay.

Aye...I thought we were taking the piss?  Especially with the "If Shola scores...were on the pitch...If Shola scores...were on the pitch" chant doing the rounds.

Only just got back now  :razz: great trip, half decent match but we need faye, geremi, owen, viduka and at least 2 new signings before we can make any progress.

Only just got back now  :razz: great trip, half decent match but we need faye, geremi, owen, viduka and at least 2 new signings before we can make any progress.

Were you wearing a yellow and grey hoody Kev?