Are Newcastle A Big Club?

Skirge

Even persistent media darlings Tottenham didn't generate anything like the interest we did when they changed manager.

Is that really true? I don't know how you'd measure the column inches, but there was quite a bit of fuss about Martin Jol being out of favour and then Ramos arriving.

No where near the coverage of KK's return.

Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 966,000 for ramos tottenham

Results 1 - 10 of about 697,000 for keegan newcastle.

And there's a longer association between the words "keegan" and "newcastle" than between the words "ramos" and "tottenham".

:dontknow:

To be fair, Spurs have been linked with 19 million midfielders since he took over, so that might explain the extra press ;)

Don't forget an extra few months in the job, a prolonged period of speculation before Jol was even sacked, and the fact that the Spanish would be extensively reporting the story too.

Even persistent media darlings Tottenham didn't generate anything like the interest we did when they changed manager.

Is that really true? I don't know how you'd measure the column inches, but there was quite a bit of fuss about Martin Jol being out of favour and then Ramos arriving.

Google:

And there's a longer association between the words "keegan" and "newcastle" than between the words "ramos" and "tottenham".

I get more from Keegan and Newcastle. Not that it means owt anyway.

As has been pointed out, it's a pretty pointless debate.

This reply made my skin crawl: -

Shyam

I agree, totally. Newcastle are a provincial club - and nobody here in India follows them as such. And for a club to be 'big', they do need to be successful and as far as Newcastle are concerned, they're not. They're one of those clubs with a big stadium, great support but no results. So, sorry, Newcastle aren't a big club if you look at contemporary football.

Reminds me of a taxi driver in Mauritius who had Beckham and Man U stickers on his dash board. He was trying to have a go at me for being a Newcastle fan. I explained to him that it is to do with being from Newcastle. His reason for supporting Man U? "They are the best."

Google:

I get more from Keegan and Newcastle. Not that it means owt anyway.

As has been pointed out, it's a pretty pointless debate.

Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 431,000 for wullie newcastle

Results 1 - 4 of 4 for ozziemandias newcastle

:-[

Guest hodsgod

Newcastle are a club with big potential.

League position and trophies are rthe only measure of success. No trophies and to be honest, rare forays into the top 6 in the last 50 years don't make Newcastle a big club.

The potential is however very big, a large stadium and a solid fan base give the potential for anything in the future. It just depends on getting the right manager.

Guest steppa

Who cares how big your club is? To me Watford are the world's biggest club, they mean everything to me. f*** the rest.

Absolutely spot on.

I may be missing something, but why do you post on here then???

(insert appropriate smiley ad nauseum)

Guest MaetihS

MaethiS will have an excitement wee when he sees this thread.

Nah, I will leave to the growing others to do the talking (can see more and more fans not as deluded as b4). getting tired of my own rants and what not. Already accepted the fact that the club i support dearly is not a big club and has a quite shit team to boot. at least better than Sunderland and Boro, as long as we finish above them and be the biggest club in the area is enough. who cares about europe and the top 10? we have our mini premier league in the north.

Newcastle are a club with big potential.

League position and trophies are rthe only measure of success. No trophies and to be honest, rare forays into the top 6 in the last 50 years don't make Newcastle a big club.

The potential is however very big, a large stadium and a solid fan base give the potential for anything in the future. It just depends on getting the right manager.

This is probably a fair summing up of the club - we DO have one claim to fame on the size issue, and that

is probably the fact that we are(arguably)the biggest club NOT to achieve any meaningful success over the last 50 years ; even clubs like Luton & Leicester have had winning days at Wembley which we have not...Much of the reason for our lack of success is down to the club being either mismanaged from the top together with a degree of bad luck at crucial times.

What is more of interest these days is where the club is actually going and at this time, we are a long way from being mentioned in the same breath as Spurs, Villa and Everton as 'big' clubs.

I expect one, if not all , of these clubs to finish well above NUFC this coming season and the fact that Aimar has plumped for Benfica is another illustration of our continued fall from grace, although at least he has chosen a genuinely big club...would we be in the running for people like Bentley, for example, let alone Berbatov ?? How many on here would expect Bentley to sign for NUFC instead of, say, Villa if given the choice right now..?

If you are happy with the club as it is, that is your choice - loyalty is a great thing, but NUFC have stretched their fans' loyalty to the limit, and beyond in the last 5 years.

This reply made my skin crawl: -

Shyam

I agree, totally. Newcastle are a provincial club - and nobody here in India follows them as such. And for a club to be 'big', they do need to be successful and as far as Newcastle are concerned, they're not. They're one of those clubs with a big stadium, great support but no results. So, sorry, Newcastle aren't a big club if you look at contemporary football.

Reminds me of a taxi driver in Mauritius who had Beckham and Man U stickers on his dash board. He was trying to have a go at me for being a Newcastle fan. I explained to him that it is to do with being from Newcastle. His reason for supporting Man U? "They are the best."

aye, briefly lived with a bloke from Bahrain who announced that he followed Manchester and Chelsea 'because they are better'

people like that really make me sick, not the first fucking clue

Guest icemanblue

MaethiS will have an excitement wee when he sees this thread.

Nah, I will leave to the growing others to do the talking (can see more and more fans not as deluded as b4). getting tired of my own rants and what not. Already accepted the fact that the club i support dearly is not a big club and has a quite shit team to boot. at least better than Sunderland and Boro, as long as we finish above them and be the biggest club in the area is enough. who cares about europe and the top 10? we have our mini premier league in the north.

Be quiet. You don't have a clue what any of that means.  I'd go as far as saying you've never stepped foot in the North East of England, never mind Newcastle. Tool.

I think we're a big club.

A) The amount of attention we get from the media and nation.

B) We're in the top 10 most successful English clubs in terms of trophies.

C) Massive fan base and stadium. Thats gotta count.

But as people have said on this thread, who cares what other non NUFC fans think. Its our club, we can think what we want about it so fuck them.