Stephen Warnock denies handing in transfer request

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newcastle United, who have also had a £3 million bid for Stephen Warnock rejected by Blackburn Rovers

Keegan has identified left back as an area he wishes to strengthen and the club are expected to submit an improved bid for Warnock, who was a consistent performer at Ewood Park last season. The 26-year-old joined Blackburn from Liverpool for £1.5 million in January 2007.

Both from an article about Aimar in tomorrow's Times written by George Caulkin, who is less of a gobshite than most other journalists.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4347518.ece

Name out of thin air? Decent signing if true? Better than Jose?

UPDATE

The Rovers chairman also confirmed the club had turned down a formal bid - believed to be from Newcastle - for defender Stephen Warnock.

"We've had a bid of £2million," Williams added. "It was rejected and the club concerned has been told he is not for sale."

Guest Adu Who?

Newcastle United, who have also had a £3 million bid for Stephen Warnock rejected by Blackburn Rovers

Keegan has identified left back as an area he wishes to strengthen and the club are expected to submit an improved bid for Warnock, who was a consistent performer at Ewood Park last season. The 26-year-old joined Blackburn from Liverpool for £1.5 million in January 2007.

Both from an article about Aimar in tomorrow's Times written by George Caulkin, who is less of a gobshite than most other journalists.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4347518.ece

Name out of thin air? Decent signing if true? Better than Jose?

I rate him as a player. Solid and reliable, if unspectacular. 7/10

Rather have his former team mate Finnan, but I like Warnock.

Finnan's going downhill for me now like.

Warnock's always looked a decent player to me when i've seen Blackburn; probably more attacking-minded than Enrique too. Again though it's seeing if this sort of player would come in as cover or not. Rather we loaned someone.

Not better than Jose but nonetheless he'd be a canny signing and would strengthen our squad in general. For under 5m Id really like him here.

Cant see it though considering Blackburn have Europe and hes starts for them every week.

Warnock's always looked a decent player to me when i've seen Blackburn; probably more attacking-minded than Enrique too. Again though it's seeing if this sort of player would come in as cover or not. Rather we loaned someone.

If he (or anyone)'s coming he should come on the proviso that it's him versus Enrique for the left-back spot, and that Jose currently has the shirt so he's either going to have to excel in training or Jose's gonna have to hit a rough patch.

Competition is what we want, not just "first team" and "cover", if at all possible. Same goes for Prince Habib on the other side.

If he (or anyone)'s coming he should come on the proviso that it's him versus Enrique for the left-back spot, and that Jose currently has the shirt so he's either going to have to excel in training or Jose's gonna have to hit a rough patch.

Competition is what we want, not just "first team" and "cover", if at all possible. Same goes for Prince Habib on the other side.

I don't disagree with you at all, but it's the bit in bold that matters. He doesn't have the shirt, therefore is second choice, whereas he is first choice at his current club. So the question still remains; are players going to come in if they're not guaranteed that first choice spot? If we are after him, then we'd have to offer him some substantial wage increase to what he's on at Blackburn, otherwise he has no reason to move. Which is generally why i think we're barking up the right tree when we're going for a loanee; no fee, only paying some of their wages, someone who's more content to wait for their chance. Also, allows time for Kadar to improve and whatnot.

if we are bringing in competition for Enrique i'd rather we went for a pacy left-back who is better going forward, just for a bit of variety. i think enrique is fine defensively but lacks killer pace or the ability to stretch the game in the opposition half. as his distribution and decision making improves he will get better going forward but for the short-term we could do with a different option (if n'zogbia is leaving or deemed not good enough defensively)

bringing in Warnock would be more of what we already have, perhaps only not quite as good.

Guest Jawesome

I think Warnock would be a class signing tbh. Always looked good for Blackburn and likes to bomb foward. I'd deffo take him for 3m

This.

We could do far worse like, but that'd be about £5-6m for Danny Guthrie and Stephen Warnock... can't help but feel that money could be better spent elsewhere.

To be fair we would be hard pressed to get a decent LB (which is essential) for under 3m. Do we know how much we actually paid for Guthrie?

if we are bringing in competition for Enrique i'd rather we went for a pacy left-back who is better going forward, just for a bit of variety. i think enrique is fine defensively but lacks killer pace or the ability to stretch the game in the opposition half. as his distribution and decision making improves he will get better going forward but for the short-term we could do with a different option (if n'zogbia is leaving or deemed not good enough defensively)

bringing in Warnock would be more of what we already have, perhaps only not quite as good.

Last sentence isn't true at all, Warnock is, if anything, closer to being the opposite of how you describe Enrique- who actually isn't that bad going forward.

Last sentence isn't true at all, Warnock is, if anything, closer to being the opposite of how you describe Enrique- who actually isn't that bad going forward.

Agreed.  We didn't get a really great look at Enrique throughout the season like we all have Warnock.  I really expect Enrique to come to terms with the Prem this season and be more comfortable with going forward.  He's young and still needs time, which is the most important part, and I really hope that KK will give it to him this season.