Keegan. (How long will he last?)

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The likes of Bentley & Santa Cruz SHOULD be players that NUFC are capable of competing for - the fact that we aren't even at the races indicates 2 things;-

1.How far the club has declined in 5 years(players not interested)

2.That the money isn't there, either in wages or transfer fees for this type of player - this is given more credibility by the loss of the likes of Modric & Aimar(IF all the stories are true).

Ashley HAS spent a load of cash clearing the club's debts, and he may well be correct in being cautious in the rapidly-deteriorating economic climate now facing the country..BUT - a couple of decent buys would have ensured almost a sell-out on Season Tickets, which currently looks highly unlikely - as does a decent season unless there are some breakthroughs by the end of August ; even then, it will take time to get new players embedded into the playing style etc., all being attempted without the benefit of pre-season training and friendlies....

a very astute and rational version of events i'd say there...

I agree, but do you not think that even if we had the money (which maybe we do... I don't know), we would have gone after people that represent value for money (Bentley at £17m and Santa Cruz at a similar price do not IMO).

Also, with regards to Bentley, it was only 3 months ago that he was slagging us off in a national paper.

At the minute, we seem to be tight on the purse strings, but it could just be a case of getting value for money.

personally i think bentley is about as far away from value for money as darren bent was

said it before and i'll say it again - put him in against the best midfields in this country, never mind europe, and he'd not dominate...if he was foreign we'd be outraged at the price being quoted for what he actually produces

but yeah i agree about value for money and that's why i don't understand what we're doing...value for money can operate on many levels, i.e. guthrie and spiderman are at the low end of it, modric the high end, dos santos the middle...

personally i expected us to be operating around the middle of the range, players under 25 valued between 5-10m but seemingly not

• 1 month later...
Guest SuperGunners

First of all, apologies for putting this here - I do it in hope of somebody moving it to the football forum for me as I can't post there yet :D

Anyway, was talking to my mate about you lot the other day. He reckons you lot were skepical when Keegan came back and that some of you who welcomed it at the time are no longer so sure.

I told him he was talking shit but just thought I'd gather some opinions.

For those who were skeptical at the time, have you still got your reservations?

Those who welcomed it at the time, is your enthusiasm still the same?

Cheers!

Guest optimistic nit

i was skeptical at the time, because it looked like an appointment that had no other purpose than to appease the fans and i couldnt see him succeeding, but we've bought extremely well (all that bullshit that the press give us about wise and jiminez, i've never been worried about that setup, and its doing the business so far) and we're playing better football than we have at any time since sir bobby left (by better football i dont mean more attacking football, but we look like we think we can win games now, whereas for the last 4 years we haven't) so my reservations are completely gone.

There were definitely a significant number of sceptics but I literally jumped for joy when I heard he was in and today I'm even more convinced he's the right man for the job. I'd be surprised if many had changed their mind for the worse but I bet there's a fair few who've been won round.

I suppose it may depend on whether or not he gets his "wow signing" KK is probably dreaming about it as much as we are, gets up every morning ans sticks SSN on to see if we have signed Klaas-Jan Huntelaar yet..

Guest SuperGunners

I suppose it may depend on whether or not he gets his "wow signing" KK is probably dreaming about it as much as we are, gets up every morning ans sticks SSN on to see if we have signed Klaas-Jan Huntelaar yet..

Good player but hardlys a WOW signing.

I wasn't 100% sure on Keegan like when he came back, but now, i can see his enthusiasm is still there, just take his celebration on Sataurday for instance  :lol: he still loves it, still has the passion, and still has that great desire to win, and i think he is the man to take us foward

There were question marks about his health after the mess he got himself into over England and Man City, that and how long he'd been out of the game.

I think the new set up has helped him as I don't think Keegan had much of a clue about players from abroad etc, he even admitted that he had to look up our squad on the Internet when he took over because he didn't have a clue about them.

I don't think you will find anyone that wasn't skeptical after 45 minutes against Birmingham, that was the only time last season when I thought we'd had it, since then he's turned it around and it looks like we're back in business.

Guest SuperGunners

What do you reckon our chances are next week, SG? Will we face a backlash or will you be poor again?

Depends really. We're just as capable as you lot of having a stinker so you never know! With your good form and if our lack of it continues then you could easy get something from the game.

I thought it was a mistake. I still don't think that he'll win anything for us, but I'm not at all scared like I was when I heard. One thing's for certain, whoever takes over from him will find a club in a vastly better position than it was when he arrived. Progress has been, and continues to be, made and I really welcome that, but I think it'll be whoever comes after Keegan - so long as we appoint someone good that is - who'll bring us what we really want.

First of all, apologies for putting this here - I do it in hope of somebody moving it to the football forum for me as I can't post there yet :D

Anyway, was talking to my mate about you lot the other day. He reckons you lot were skepical when Keegan came back and that some of you who welcomed it at the time are no longer so sure.

If anything, it's gone the other way.  I don't think anyones net confidence level in our setup has dropped over summer.  It may have dipped there in the middle when things had gone too quiet but I'm pretty sure it's picked up for everyone. 

What fans of other teams have to understand is that the nearly hourly ridiculous "CRISIS IN TOON AS MIKE ASHLEY RENAMES 'ST. JAMES' TO 'SPORTSDIRECT STADIA'" or "DENNIS WISE NAMED PRETTIEST PRINCESS IN GEORDIELAND" stories that you all laugh at and mock us for are, naturally, total and utter shite. 

Fans of all teams generally apply a kind of BS filter to those stories about their own team but completely turn it off when it comes to others: The Sun is one minute the biggest hive of liars and shitballs on the planet when writing negatively about their team and the next minute bastions of truth and honor when writing negative stories about others. 

Just try to remember that when you're basing opinions of what's going on at the club at reports from the Daily Mail, Guardian, Sun or any other rag. 

Guest SuperGunners

If anything, it's gone the other way.  I don't think anyones net confidence level in our setup has dropped over summer.  It may have dipped there in the middle when things had gone too quiet but I'm pretty sure it's picked up for everyone. 

What fans of other teams have to understand is that the nearly hourly ridiculous "CRISIS IN TOON AS MIKE ASHLEY RENAMES 'ST. JAMES' TO 'SPORTSDIRECT STADIA'" or "DENNIS WISE NAMED PRETTIEST PRINCESS IN GEORDIELAND" stories that you all laugh at and mock us for are, naturally, total and utter s****. 

Fans of all teams generally apply a kind of BS filter to those stories about their own team but completely turn it off when it comes to others: The Sun is one minute the biggest hive of liars and shitballs on the planet when writing negatively about their team and the next minute bastions of truth and honor when writing negative stories about others. 

Just try to remember that when you're basing opinions of what's going on at the club at reports from the Daily Mail, Guardian, Sun or any other rag. 

I'm sure that wasn't at me personally, bbut I'm intelligent enough not to read everything that's written in the papers mate.

Sorry just having a bit of a rant. 

No it wasn't specifically but that really seems to be how the majority of other clubs' fans that I talk to about Newcastle get their ideas.  Last week I heard "Oh I heard Ashley was selling to the bin Laden family" said dead seriously. 

The likes of Bentley & Santa Cruz SHOULD be players that NUFC are capable of competing for - the fact that we aren't even at the races indicates 2 things;-

1.How far the club has declined in 5 years(players not interested)

2.That the money isn't there, either in wages or transfer fees for this type of player - this is given more credibility by the loss of the likes of Modric & Aimar(IF all the stories are true).

Or 3,

Keegan didnt want them

i thought it was a risky move at first, and i hope we'll take a more professional approach when we eventually bring in our next manager (ie not saying we have to bring in someone just cos they played for us or managed us in the past).

though i was also excited, partly because i thought KK mustve been promised a big transfer fund otherwise he wouldn't have came back. sadly that does not seem to be the case.

the other reason for excitement was that Keegan is a good manager, clearly better than some of the other names we'd been linked to, and that he'd get us playing good football once again. i still think this is the case.

Guest SuperGunners

The competing for players thing is probably more down to the lack of Europe for you more than it is about money. Stand a very good chance of making it this season IF you can keep your big players fit.

I personally was heart set on getting Deschamps in.  A young, inspiring attacking manager that had potential to go very far with a club given backing, a real french dynasty could have been created here.

When i heard it was KK i was too astounded for rational thoughts. I was disappointed but knew KK would put the intent right in our team (win matches not hold on for a point at wigan, derby et al).

I still feel the same about KK. I know he's got the ability to get us back into the top 6 playing decent football, and even top 4 given enough time and say 5 years. But i thought getting Deschamps in for a long 10 year period would offer huge stability and we'd have an advantage over Manure, Arsenal as they'll lose their managers within 3-5 years and there would have been a chance for an established manager at the toon to supersede one of them. Now though, with KK, we'll likely be replacing managers at the same time.

Having said all that I'll take getting back into the top 6 with KK playing football i can enjoy.

I personally was heart set on getting Deschamps in.  A young, inspiring attacking manager that had potential to go very far with a club given backing, a real french dynasty could have been created here.

When i heard it was KK i was too astounded for rational thoughts. I was disappointed but knew KK would put the intent right in our team (win matches not hold on for a point at wigan, derby et al).

I still feel the same about KK. I know he's got the ability to get us back into the top 6 playing decent football, and even top 4 given enough time and say 5 years. But i thought getting Deschamps in for a long 10 year period would offer huge stability and we'd have an advantage over Manure, Arsenal as they'll lose their managers within 3-5 years and there would have been a chance for an established manager at the toon to supersede one of them. Now though, with KK, we'll likely be replacing managers at the same time.

Having said all that I'll take getting back into the top 6 with KK playing football i can enjoy.

funny that, i was off work at the time SA was sacked and was all over the internet looking at the rumours etc...i went on holiday and deschamps was the bookies favourite and i started thinking bascially the same as you say here about him, gets to the hotel a few hours later, switch on CNN and the little ticker bars saying keegan appointed manager!!!

blew my mind that did

how olds KK by the way?  57 or so right...see no reason why he'll do a good 5-8 years as long as the club keeps moving forward, like the rest of us he seems to be rediscovering his love of the game and the club