Keegan. (How long will he last?)

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't feel Keegan's quite so likely to walk on a point of principle these days. The reason he was available at all -- not long after saying he'd never return to management -- is because his soccer circus thing wasn't going too well and he'd had to put a lot of money into it to keep the business afloat. I suspect he needs his pay packet.

Says who?

Guest elbee909

I don't feel Keegan's quite so likely to walk on a point of principle these days. The reason he was available at all -- not long after saying he'd never return to management -- is because his soccer circus thing wasn't going too well and he'd had to put a lot of money into it to keep the business afloat. I suspect he needs his pay packet.

Says who?

"They."

Don't be fooled by that crap. Quite possible that his business venture up is not doing as well as was hoped but you don't turn around failing businesses by taking on another role which will take much or your time. You dedicate yourself to the failing buisiness or get out.

KK will not be so short of a penny that he can't afford to walk out on principal, he's shown in the past that he's quite prepared to do that.

I've gone for 2 years as he'll not go part through a season unless something goes wrong and I don't think that'll happen.  He could also sign a new contract and stay longer if things go really well for him and us.

I have read the most part of Kevin Keegans "My Autobiography", and i have a feeling he is not the kind of person who walks out on things unless its crucial to do it.

Its more like when things get so bad that he cant enjoy it anymore, he will consider walking away.

And then it has nothing to do with money.

This is my feeling after reading the book, aint saying it is so.

I read that one too. He wrote it a long time ago, no?

Guest Stephen927

He'll see out his contract.

Ashley won't want to be known as the person who shot Bambi, and Keegan will be hungry to turn this side around and going up the table instead of in the bottom half.

keegan has walked out of every club as a manager iirc?

Apart from Man City, where I think it was by mutual agreement. For England, of course, he walked out half an hour after a game, so it can't be said he doesn't have some previous.

There's too many unknowns. I think that financial considerations may well play a part here.

It really depends on what kind of backing he gets. Give him a boatload of money and he'll be warning Fergie to prepare to relinquish the title. I'm not sure he's going to have his heart in balancing the books and putting a UEFA spot down on his wish list.

Guest microbar

If he does not get the players in and we have a bad season,

due to injurys and a understrenghth squad

then keegan will walk.at the end of this season.

Ashley needs to back him now or else suffer the back lash. :rolleyes:

I dont think Mike Ashley can afford to release Keegan, that would crush his so far pretty nice reputation/appearance.

That's actally a very good point, KK is almost un sackable, unless things really screw up Ashley will alienate his customer base if he pulled the trigger.

KK will stay as ong as he wants to IMO, which as I said above could be sooner than we think should he not receive the backing.

If you think Ashely won't pull the trigger, then your head is in the sand!, first and foremost he's a business man and he can be a ruthless as any of them and we all know "fickle fans" have short memories! especially if Ashley gets a world class Manager in. All would be forgotten in a second.

I dont think Mike Ashley can afford to release Keegan, that would crush his so far pretty nice reputation/appearance.

That's actally a very good point, KK is almost un sackable, unless things really screw up Ashley will alienate his customer base if he pulled the trigger.

KK will stay as ong as he wants to IMO, which as I said above could be sooner than we think should he not receive the backing.

If you think Ashely won't pull the trigger, then your head is in the sand!, first and foremost he's a business man and he can be a ruthless as any of them and we all know "fickle fans" have short memories! especially if Ashley gets a world class Manager in. All would be forgotten in a second.

This is true & NO-ONE is unsackable in football with the exceptions of Fergie & Wenger for obvious reasons ; the length of KK's stay will depend on a) How successful he is, and how much money is available in the Transfer market ; b) how successful the team is on the pitch.

Problems with factor a) would lead to more likelihood of HIM walking, problems with factor b) would be more likely that he gets the bullet, but I wouldn't imagine that happening until the season's end UNLESS we are in danger of relegation by Christmas...if he is allowed to sign another 3 or 4 players, and it all goes pear-shaped, he definitely COULD get moved on, but its unlikely if he gets the players HE really wants.

anyone remember his quotes when he came back in january?  anything in them to lead you to think he'd been promised significant funds to spend?

i see that as the crucial element here - if he's been promised something and they don't deliver i could see him walking, if he was made aware it would be a slow, budget balancing rebuilding process then i don't think he'd jump, why would he?

its as Tron says above: if he was promised the chance to shoot for the title but is now being forced to aim for uefa cup places at best then i reckon he'll be perfectly justified

anyone remember his quotes when he came back in january?  anything in them to lead you to think he'd been promised significant funds to spend?

i see that as the crucial element here - if he's been promised something and they don't deliver i could see him walking, if he was made aware it would be a slow, budget balancing rebuilding process then i don't think he'd jump, why would he?

its as Tron says above: if he was promised the chance to shoot for the title but is now being forced to aim for uefa cup places at best then i reckon he'll be perfectly justified

Maybe he has but the players won't come.

Maybe he has but the players won't come.

Didn't he say something like it's not like the last time he was here when he said "It's not what it said in the brochure", because this time there wasn't a brochure.

before james or someone starts i'm not complaining or suggesting keegan should walk or anything, was a genuine question 'cause i wasn't able to see the interviews and stuff when he came back

Opt Nut - is him saying there is no brochure to be construed as sort of he has a blank canvas to do what he wants or more he didn't know what to expect?

The season hasn't even started yet, do we really have to be worrying ourselves by imagining scenarios where  KK could walk?  :rolleyes:

I know this is Newcastle, but surely this is excessive even for us

The season hasn't even started yet, do we really have to be worrying ourselves by imagining scenarios where  KK could walk?  :rolleyes:

don't think he will personally or he'd probably have already done it wouldn't he?  had he been expecting a heap of quality, expensive signings by now and they'd not come in i wouldn't see why he'd sit the window out then jack it in leaving someone else in the lurch

seems content enough to me

Exactly.  I don't think he'll walk at all.  He'll get sacked.

You're our little ray of sunshine, aren't you

You're our little ray of sunshine, aren't you

I wasn't being entirely serious.  It just seemed to fit in well with the current negativity on this board lately, of which this thread is a prime example.