Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

Guest Howaythetoon

Colo was s**** along with every single player in the side with the exception of Jonas and Given who were moderately decent compared to the rest. Bad day all-round for several players, perhaps 120 minutes in midweek, lack of pace up front and some legs in the middle of midfield against the quick, strong and slick Arsenal was always going to bring about such a result (that and the fact they are a top top side), although I'm disappointed by our performance and that of several players in our side, I won't condemn them though. Hull next, we'll be fine.

Harsh, he was given zero protection from the midfield. He did as good as he could, far from s*** IMO.

Not convinced Taylor is the right guy to partner him, maybe someone incoming will be.

The lack of protection from midfield didn't help of course which I fully agree with but he failed to carry out some basic and elementary tasks in any kind of convincing or even reassuring way for me that suggested he was having a decent game. No, he was having a bad game as were the vast majority of them. Speaking of the midfield, their cause wasn't helped by the forwards in the same way the defence's wasn't by the lack of protection from midfield. Our problems were circular in that respect. Having said that a great deal of our problems were owed to Arsenal's stunning performance it has to be said. Credit where credit is due.

He's a great defender, I've seen him play over the last few years and he is undoubtedly a great talent.

However, we cannot rely on him in the air. He is strongest when the ball is on the ground and this is something that I feel still needs to be addressed, hopefully through the signing of a tall defensive midfielder (which is why I wish we kept Faye).

He was great, everyone else was shit. Moving on... :)

sad thing is, that's how an awful lot of people seem to see it.  He was no better than anyone else in our back four today, but is saved criticism because he is the new boy.

Most new boys will get some slack, especially if they come from a foreign league because it takes time to adjust to the Premier. That said, I think he's done ok, and should get better.

Guest optimistic nit

Felt sorry for him today, was constantly having to cover the incompetence of Butt and Taylor.

i didn't think taylor was that bad. he made quite a few good contributions.

He was great, everyone else was shit. Moving on... :)

sad thing is, that's how an awful lot of people seem to see it.  He was no better than anyone else in our back four today, but is saved criticism because he is the new boy.

Most new boys will get some slack, especially if they come from a foreign league because it takes time to adjust to the Premier. That said, I think he's done ok, and should get better.

Without a doubt he deserves time to settle and adjust, but that doesn't mean he can't be judged to have played poorly in a particular game.  Today he was just as poor as the rest.

Felt sorry for him today, was constantly having to cover the incompetence of Butt and Taylor.

Precisely, I can't understand how Butt's poor performance only let Colocinni down of the two centre halves? ???

Precisely, I can't understand how Butt's poor performance only let Colocinni down of the two centre halves? ???

No surprise to see you jumping to Taylor's defence again.

There will always be those who stick up for Taylor and those who will never be a fan, but I find I lose patience with him by the game.

It was particularly the third which pissed me off, he backed off, backed off, backed off and all but gave Nasri a free pass to pick out Edmilson.

He didn't exactly cover himself in glory for the second either but there again who did? Was quality play from Arsenal.

He's annoyingly clumsy and flat footed and at times fails to read the most obvious of developing situations.

Guest optimistic nit

he's right though, and i've been pretty critical of taylor recently.

colo didn't perform any worse than he did in our first 3 games imo, and taylor played a lot better than he did against manure imo, but arsenal were just better than us.

:)

Eh?

Taylor was fairly poor today in parts, I've not defended him.  All I've said is I don't think Colocinni was any better :thup:

Stick to what I'm saying rather than what you'd like me to say :)

Maybe I like Colo because he's one of those defenders who takes the ball off forwards or intercepts. Enrique does it and funnily enough, Bassong looks like he can do it as well. Colo loooks like a decent tackler as well, maybe there is a question mark over his heading, but in general looks a good defender to me.

colo didn't perform any worse than he did in our first 3 games imo, and taylor played a lot better than he did against manure imo, but arsenal were just better than us.

But Coloccini was better than both Taylor and Beye today without doubt, even if he wasn't at his best.

I really can't be bothered with the "he was better this week" which is as bad as the Martins vs Owen shite, but people seem to be running Colo down as a way of deflecting criticism from what was a worse performance by Taylor.

But Coloccini was better than both Taylor and Beye today without doubt, even if he wasn't at his best.

I really can't be bothered with the "he was better this week" which is as bad as the Martins vs Owen shite, but people seem to be running Colo down as a way of deflecting criticism from what was a worse performance by Taylor.

I'd say its exactly the other way around. No one wants to say that Colo was just as poor as Taylor when that really is the case.

I'd say its exactly the other way around. No one wants to say that Colo was just as poor as Taylor when that really is the case.

Nail on head.

I really can't be bothered with the "he was better this week" which is as bad as the Martins vs Owen s****, but people seem to be running Colo down as a way of deflecting criticism from what was a worse performance by Taylor.

Colo wasn't anything brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but unlike Taylor I don't think he could be directly blamed for a goal.

It's all about opinions I suppose and tbh I really can't be bothered to get drawn into this one.

It's all about opinions I suppose and tbh I really can't be bothered to get drawn into this one.

You already are :p

It does get tedious though when people draw battle lines over certain players.

It does get tedious though when people draw battle lines over certain players.

If we're going with this pairing as our first choice then I'd rather judge them as a partnership rather than get drawn into a point scoring debate between fans of each.

Guest mikefin

I like Coloccini because he is self confident, skillful, good game reader and absolutely world class player, by any means. Wish we have whole team like Coloccini, but there is only Jonas, Owen and Given who can fit the bill.

If we're going with this pairing as our first choice then I'd rather judge them as a partnership rather than get drawn into a point scoring debate between fans of each.

Precisely which is why I said I thought they were as poor as each other today :thup:

Well we might need to look at which two central defenders gel the best then. I'm not convinced by this pair tbh, they don't look on the same wavelength but it's early days.