F*ck Spurs

Guest ObaStar

Give him 3 years. I think he can be at that level

His biggest weakness is anticipation and reading of the game imo, stuff that can only be taught to an extent if at all. You look at someone like Carvalho, just a natural footballer who can read the game so well, Taylor is at the other end of that spectrum, and always will be.

Guest ObaStar

His biggest weakness is anticipation and reading of the game imo, stuff that can only be taught to an extent if at all. You look at someone like Carvalho, just a natural footballer who can read the game so well, Taylor is at the other end of that spectrum, and always will be.

The thing about that is that anticipation comes with experience. Its not like Carvalho one day woke up and could suddenly read the game well. The more taylor plays and especially with an experienced partner like Collocini the better he will read the game.

The thing about that is that anticipation comes with experience. Its not like Carvalho one day woke up and could suddenly read the game well. The more taylor plays and especially with an experienced partner like Collocini the better he will read the game.

Ah so we're back to it not being Taylor's fault he's average at best? :lol:

Guest Glenn

I know it was only a friendly v. Norwich (Matty Pattinson at LB!) but Spurs looked very, very impressive the other day. Ramos' Sevilla team was excellent and he's got them playing the same style already. They passed and moved with great speed and accuracy. Modric was a bit quiet, Bent scored 4 but Dos Santos was the real star of the show.

Don't forget they were 5th twice and then had a crap start and end to last season, but they still won a cup! If they keep Berbatov (or get another top scorer with the money) + a fit / reliable CB, then they'll do very well next season.

We can do much better this season too --- if KK gets the players he wants / needs? I'm not worried yet but I will be if the season starts without a new LB, CB + CF / target man.

I think Spurs have maybe a good couple of seasons ahead.

Thing is though, a couple of seasons of only qualifying for the UEFA Cup, and players like Bentley, Modric, Arshavin will get cold feet and look to be playing CL football - bentley for certain will want to be playing CL football in 3 years time. If they play as well as I am sure Spurs are hoping then they will sharp get picked off by either our Top 4 or the better sides in Spain, Italy etc etc.

There is time to go but I'd like to have signed the players that Spurs have signed, make no mistake I am jealous of those signings and if they get Arshavin, I'll be green.

Lack of premiership experience is a lame reason not to want them or slag these signings - they are riskier but the rewards are massive and its not like the players they are signing are 'unknown'  ;D  They are all top class, world established players.  They have paid top dollar but that is the only way a team outside of the top 4 will ever break into the upper regions of this league.

We have signed two players with a distinct lack of premiership experience, another on the way potentially so there is just as big a chance that we will 'luck out' as well but we don't seem to be mentioning that. :rolleyes:  I hate Spurs but I think we should be bricking it more than them at this moment.

top class world established stars?! Come on, before the start of last season not a great number of people even knew of Modric or Arshavin. I'm not saying they weren't good players but they were a long way off world established stars and neither of them are 18 or 19 and bursting through. Yes, they have both had quality seasons and i think both have the potential to make big impacts. What i wouldn't be comfortable with is us replacing 5 of our 6 front players (if Berbatov goes) from last season. They would be playing Bent or A N Other up top who would be like a new player as Bent played so little last year and never on his own, then Jenas would be the only other player who was there last year. It will indeed be 'lucking out' if all of the new players, dropped in a team together, gelled quickly and formed a cohesive attacking unit whilst simultaneously learning to defend, which none of those players could do last season.

Your top 4 breaking theorem is the one that failed us under Souness. Yes, I would like us to buy a few big name players, but i'd like to see them integrated and combined with the current squad and then built upon in January, not just completely replacing and stripping out our current team, which is what it looks like Spurs are doing. Put another way, would you be happy if we sold Owen, Martins and Viduka and signed Arshavin and Modric, leaving Shola to play up front on his own? I know that Bent is better than Shola, but it's equivalent 4th choice striker from January (Defoe, Berbatov and Keane ahead). I certianly wouldn't be.

To be honest, I don't know where to start with that response.

If Arshavin and Modric were not established stars, particulalry after the Euros then I don't know what qualifies - I'm not saying they are a Messi or Ronaldo but top class in their respective leagues and international teams, yes.

I agree that bringing in a number of players in one go definetely brings a risk they will not gel but since they were available and in my eyes improve the squad, I would have bought them and if some needed more time than others, so be it - Ramos is a damn good coach and will know what he is doing there - though on reflection see my point below about Modric and Arshavin.

The failure of Souness - I fail to see the relevance given the proven history of his incompetence as a manager full stop.

I don't think the comparision with the 4 strikers is fair, Bent and Defoe vied for that 3rd berth.  Additionally, why would we have to do what Spurs have done and can Arshavin not play in the attacking midfield role so the need to sell 3 strikers would not apply here?

I actually would only want one of the two between Modric and Arshavin (probably Arshavin if pushed) given our current squad but the fact that Spurs are actually going out and getting them makes me envious.

So, what you're saying is you would like us to have bought the players Spurs have but not let any of our best players go? No s***... We'd all have liked that...  You've not actually addressed the point i was making, which was i wouldn't be happy for us to have shipped out our best players and replaced them with players, some of whom have no experience in the league. Top class in their relative leagues? Russia and Croatia? Not exactly what i would deem the best league. Yes, they can only do the best where they are but that's my point about them being relatively unproven, hence being a risk (see teams signing players from Senegal and the likes following successful tournaments). Jonas and (hopefully) Collocini have been playing rather well in the Spanish league, which gives me more optimism of them performing week in week out in the Premiership. Obviously not always the case (see: luque) but i think it gives a slightly more revealing insight.

Agreed, the Souness thing does fall flat because he was a s*** manager, but my point was that i'm happy IF we're now being sensible and gradually building on what we have rather than throwing cash willy nilly and changing our whole squad around. I bet it's very exciting being a Spurs fan now and not so exciting being an Everton or Arsenal fan, but those teams have had results through gradually building, adding to their youth set up and making a team, rather than continuously chopping and changing players and manager as Spurs and we previously have. I'm just saying i'm actually more content now, if we're making the effort to be more stable and build gradually. I won't be able to tell you if that's the case or whether we are just being useless / cheap until August 31st. Cop out i know.

Slugsy had a very good point. I'd love to have signed the player spurs are signing. As for the notion of them starting the season with just Bent and another, there's a good chance they'll sign a top striker if Berbatov goes, so.

I have to say I'm not quite sure about this hating Spurs thing - it reeks a bit of us getting on Boro's back for having a chip on the shoulder about NUFC.

Spurs have taken a massive risk with the money and the players that they have signed - but that is the only way any team is going to crack the CL places.

It might not work, but then again it might. What is absolutely certain unfortunately is that they have a far greater chance than we have of doing it - and thats from a team who only finished a few points above us 2 months ago.

I think we're going in the right direction, and I would like to think that progress into a UEFA place this season would prompt us into doing what Spurs have done this summer.

Found this link over on toontastic:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=340725&page=2

Seems they don't like us very much either. Mackems think they have wonderful fans :)

:lol:

That's just gold. Love how one Mackem is going to the Spurs fan "one good season under Robson spoilt them". Um, Spurs have had 2 half decent seasons in 15 seasons and you'd think they were God's gift. :lol:

fuckin love the way that in this thread and various others people have managed to convince themselves that somehow our outlay on players is good enough by pointing out spurs don't have a DM & some players they're signing haven't played in the league before

it's hilarious, it really is

hope i'm finding it this funny next season when i'm watching a combination of geremi, barton, guthrie, butt & smith in midfield pinging passes into the milburn paddock

fuckin love the way that in this thread and various others people have managed to convince themselves that somehow our outlay on players is good enough by pointing out spurs don't have a DM & some players they're signing haven't played in the league before

it's hilarious, it really is

hope i'm finding it this funny next season when i'm watching a combination of geremi, barton, guthrie, butt & smith in midfield pinging passes into the milburn paddock

But at least they work hard in training.

People can sit back and say we should be out there beating Spurs to the signature of Modric, Arshavin or Coloccini. But they have much more too offer young talented players.

Playing in Europe

Living in London

A Manager that has won things in England and Abroad, that is known and repected throughout Europe.

A scouting and signing set up that is established and known through Europe

Ambition in the transfer market (something we would or do have if the deals we want/wanted came off)

Some of these young players we want to bring in might not even know who keegan is. The majority werent even 10 when he was in his Newcastle managing hey day, let alone his playing days.

It is going to take time for we should have a head start with the likes of Jiminez and Vetere supposedly well linked,  in Wise perhaps he needs time to gain trust, the new set up will take bedding in, before the rest of Europe and beyond will respect it. We might not have Europe this season and Keegan can sell a vision for the future, but at what stage of the transfer dealings is he involved?

We will get players, they might not be our first choice. Some might get sold the vision, others might pip for another club. 

Being fans the rose tinted specs automatically claim the right that every player should be looking at us over the likes of Spurs, Man City, Everton, Pompey or Villa.

The majority of footballers are fickle, will pick the big citys, will pick the clubs for now, where is best for their families and where they might get imediate success or a platform to a bigger move. There is nothing wrong with much of that, its just gives us a bigger deficit to make up.

Whilst its frustrating, its not suprising alot of the players we are going for will end up elsewhere. We need top players to take us up a notch, finding the right ones is hard, let alone the ones that want to come and are of the right fit to go with what we have.

Some people havent noticed the fact we have switched roles with Spurs and other clubs since SBR left the club, or just cant handle thinking about it.

fuck spurs, good luck to them really at least they're having a go, we've got our own very real problems to contend with as much as some people might like to believe we don't

the fact is within our current depleted, somewhat shit, squad we have some bright points (zog, owen, enrique, martins, taylor [perhaps], faye, beye, our keepers, maybe spiderman & guthrie) but if we do not move to strengthen ourselves NOW then we will probably be looking at 5 years minimum before we can catch the spurs, pompeys, evertons & man city's of this world as they are all moving forward steadily

in standing still we will fall very far behind - i wish some people could see it, i really do

Found this link over on toontastic:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=340725&page=2

Seems they don't like us very much either. Mackems think they have wonderful fans :)

Some love in; by the way what is crack/ craque?

I actually say good luck to Spurs; they are taking the risks to give themselves a chance. My problem with the Spuds fans is that they have always thought that they were better than us, even when we were thumping them 7-1 & they couldn't understand why were we able to beat them to players. They are currently a bigger attraction than us which I accept; shame they couldn't.

They have too many arrogant wankers as supporters to the point that they genuinely believe that they are on a par with Arsenal. As I said wankers.

f*** spurs, good luck to them really at least they're having a go, we've got our own very real problems to contend with as much as some people might like to believe we don't

the fact is within our current depleted, somewhat s***, squad we have some bright points (zog, owen, enrique, martins, taylor [perhaps], faye, beye, our keepers, maybe spiderman & guthrie) but if we do not move to strengthen ourselves NOW then we will probably be looking at 5 years minimum before we can catch the spurs, pompeys, evertons & man city's of this world as they are all moving forward steadily

in standing still we will fall very far behind - i wish some people could see it, i really do

we can see it,if we are in this position on sept 1st. we'll not be happy. the difference between me and you is you believe nothing is happening because things haven't happened yet...i think we'll get more bodies in by that date.

only time will tell

f*** spurs, good luck to them really at least they're having a go, we've got our own very real problems to contend with as much as some people might like to believe we don't

the fact is within our current depleted, somewhat s***, squad we have some bright points (zog, owen, enrique, martins, taylor [perhaps], faye, beye, our keepers, maybe spiderman & guthrie) but if we do not move to strengthen ourselves NOW then we will probably be looking at 5 years minimum before we can catch the spurs, pompeys, evertons & man city's of this world as they are all moving forward steadily

we can see it,if we are in this position on sept 1st. we'll not be happy. the difference between me and you is you believe nothing is happening because things haven't happened yet...i think we'll get more bodies in by that date.

only time will tell

nah i wouldn't say i think nothing is happening, far from it actually

where we differ is my lack of confidence in the club being able to conclude deals for genuinely top drawer players - any club can bid for any player, finalising a deal is something else entirely as we are seeing

time will tell