Newcastle United 2-1 Valencia - 09/08/08 - Post Match Reaction from Page 22

Dave

Straight swap Owen for Berbatov would you take it? I definitely would

Why would Berbatov come here?

His mum said he was a Toon fan cos of Shearer...promise him the no. 9 shirt an he could think about it.

Anyway, my question was more intended 'assuming he wanted to come would you take a straight swap?' (you meaning anyone)

SOME SPURS FAN TOLD ME YESTERDAY THAT THEY ARE LINING UP A 12M BID FOR OWEN, ANY TRUTH?

Wise was in London yesterday and tabled a £10.43 mil + Owen bid for Kaboul.  Your guess is as good as mine as to whether it will be accepted, but I can't see us being interested in a player like Owen. 

[/Martin Jol]

Straight swap Owen for Berbatov would you take it? I definitely would

Why would Berbatov come here?

His mum said he was a Toon fan cos of Shearer...promise him the no. 9 shirt an he could think about it.

Anyway, my question was more intended 'assuming he wanted to come would you take a straight swap?' (you meaning anyone)

Of course but Owen's probably worth half of Berbatov's valuation.

SOME SPURS FAN TOLD ME YESTERDAY THAT THEY ARE LINING UP A 12M BID FOR OWEN, ANY TRUTH?

Wise was in London yesterday and tabled a £10.43 mil + Owen bid for Kaboul.  Your guess is as good as mine as to whether it will be accepted, but I can't see us being interested in a player like Owen. 

[/Martin Jol]

You forgot to mention that Spurs ITKs are all agreed.

Given 6 - Not much to do.

Beye 7 - Solid, assisted wing play well

Taylor 7 - Rarely threatened by Valencia but did what he needed to do.

Cacapa 8 - Thwarted some of Valencia's best moves.

N'Zogbia - Defensively 4, offensively 7. Would he be that good offensively though if he didn't get the space typically afforded to a left back? I doubt it.

Milner 7 - seemed to enjoy the increased emphasis on flexibility in the side. Well taken goal.

Butt 6 - Defensively good, but struggled to generate any tempo.

Guthrie 7 - Really keeps the team ticking, and rarely wastes a pass. He slowed down for the first half hour of the second half, and this was reflected in the teams lack of tempo in that period. Needs to keep the pace up.

Gutierrez 8 - Combine the best bits of Dyer, Milner and Gillespie, and you get Jonas.

Martins 6 - Good to have him back, some good touches and runs at time. However, being the main striker today, his positional discipline wasn't quite there, reducing our threat in the final third.

Duff 9 - Like Milner, enjoying the formational flexibility, and really benefitting from it too.

Given 6 - Not much to do.

Beye 7 - Solid, assisted wing play well

Taylor 7 - Rarely threatened by Valencia but did what he needed to do.

Cacapa 8 - Thwarted some of Valencia's best moves.

N'Zogbia - Defensively 4, offensively 7. Would he be that good offensively though if he didn't get the space typically afforded to a left back? I doubt it.

Milner 7 - seemed to enjoy the increased emphasis on flexibility in the side. Well taken goal.

Butt 6 - Defensively good, but struggled to generate any tempo.

Guthrie 7 - Really keeps the team ticking, and rarely wastes a pass. He slowed down for the first half hour of the second half, and this was reflected in the teams lack of tempo in that period. Needs to keep the pace up.

Gutierrez 8 - Combine the best bits of Dyer, Milner and Gillespie, and you get Jonas.

Martins 6 - Good to have him back, some good touches and runs at time. However, being the main striker today, his positional discipline wasn't quite there, reducing our threat in the final third.

Duff 9 - Like Milner, enjoying the formational flexibility, and really benefitting from it too.

Milner deserves more than a 7 surely? His crossing was better than normal and he had a very good shot in the first half just wide, some good technique to go past players, some good defensive work in the first half (covering for Beye a few times to good effect) and put crosses in and a goal to top it off.. All in all I'd say he was possibly the best player on the pitch..

Gutierrez had an excellent game, he worked his bollocks off all game and combined very well with N'Zogbia in the first half before switching wings in the second. So far he looks like being an excellent signing but we'll know better by Christmas if he's going to be a good player for us.

Am I the only one who thought we were a bit average ? Valencia's movement and passing was miles better. We did well in parts, but it was just too static at times. Good to get the goals but they completely changed their team. I still think if we played them in a proper match they would beat us quite easily.