David Healy

Guest BooBoo

Signing Healy would be an absolute joke! If this did happen then it would make a mockery of Keegan going on about not signing players for the sake of it becasue that's what Healy would be! Not worth saying anymore until something happens but I'd rather keep Smith and Ameobi!

Based on what? We score more goals with no strikers.

Signing Healy would be an absolute joke! If this did happen then it would make a mockery of Keegan going on about not signing players for the sake of it becasue that's what Healy would be! Not worth saying anymore until something happens but I'd rather keep Smith and Ameobi!

Based on what? We score more goals with no strikers.

How many goals has Healy scored in the league? I just don't think there's much difference between all three players, lets face it they are all pretty poor! So rather than wasting money on signing-on fees, agent fees I'd rather just keep what we've got. Yes you could point to Healy's international record but Ameobi has a decent record of goals when Newcastle have played in Europe! It's in the league where it counts and as I said all three are poor in that respect!

What's Healy now, just gone 29?

Although I think he'll be better than Smith, I don't see him as much of a step up (if any) from Shola. Healy  has really failed to bang the goals in at all since he was at Preston in the Championship in 2003/04 when he got 15 from 38 league games which is still hardly spectacular.

Overall he's got about a 1 in 4 strike rate at club level, and he's rarely played in the top flight. Sure, he could do a job as a squad player but I think we should be getting someone better or younger. There must be some 20-year-old in the Championship who would be willing to bench-warm here who can "boast" a 1 in 4 return in front of goal?

as other posters have referenced, being a newcastle fan from norn iron, this would be a dream come true!

Truth is, he has NEVER done it at club level and is pretty un-neccessary ie. we need a target man as a focal point of our attack.

Plus if dennis wise really is director of football (open brackets, shag brackets, close brackets) i would really doubt the substance in this, he didnt even rate him at Leeds and played him right wing!

Just imagine how differently this thread might have turned out if a single person had noticed this post and queried it. Maybe we could even have it confirmed and then we wouldn't need to talk about David Healy any more...

But since we are, my thoughts are that Healy's international record suggests he has the ability to score goals while playing in a shit team* and scoring them against good teams. Hopefully that particular skill set isn't required at St James Park this season

(Apologies to the people of the Northern Ireland from where my convict ancestors came, but facts are facts. You can say Australia is a shit team if you like :lol: )

Although I think he'll be better than Smith, I don't see him as much of a step up (if any) from Shola. Healy  has really failed to bang the goals in at all since he was at Preston in the Championship in 2003/04 when he got 15 from 38 league games which is still hardly spectacular.

Overall he's got about a 1 in 4 strike rate at club level, and he's rarely played in the top flight. Sure, he could do a job as a squad player but I think we should be getting someone better or younger. There must be some 20-year-old in the Championship who would be willing to bench-warm here who can "boast" a 1 in 4 return in front of goal?

Any 20 year old in the Championship who even remotely looks like a striker will probably come with a price tag of £6m with no guarantee he could score at a higher level. That's just the way the British market is.

Any 20 year old in the Championship who even remotely looks like a striker will probably come with a price tag of £6m with no guarantee he could score at a higher level. That's just the way the British market is.

See M.Chopra as an example.

Could get Andy Keogh for £4m, no problem. Stick a £2m bid in for Sharp from Sheff United whilst we're at it. Perfect.

Could get Andy Keogh for £4m, no problem. Stick a £2m bid in for Sharp from Sheff United whilst we're at it. Perfect.

Or £4m could get you Shola with a better scoring record. Maybe we should wait till he moves and then buy him back.  :pow:

Healy would be a stop gap signing at best, like Sibierski, assuming these rumours are true. At least he' scored some important goals for his country which shows he's got bottle if nothing else.

The bottom line for me is I have no objection to this as long as he's not the ONLY striker we sign in this window.

Speaking of whom, I'd much rather have Sibierski back if we're looking in the bargain basement.. Bit of a cult figure, would get the fans on his side and knows where the goal is.

Or £4m could get you Shola with a better scoring record. Maybe we should wait till he moves and then buy him back.  :pow:

Keogh's much better though. What's your point?

Keogh's much better though. What's your point?

My point is that usually English youngsters command the sort of price tag which should get you the finished article. Never seen Keogh to be fair. If he's worth £4m and can be bought for that then I'm all for it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whenever I've seen him at international level he looks a truly class player, some great goals and individual performances, yet at club level he doesn't even look Championship level. Strange strange player who obviously has ability, but for some reason can't display it domestically. Wasn't he once on Man Utd's books and considered a prospect when he was a youngster?

Nugent is a perfect example. Then again Ashton made the step up well (but sadly became a bit of a crock)

• 2 weeks later...