Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Guest firetotheworks

I dont think Ive been this willing to keep a striker who hasnt scored in our team. Simply because he's so good at holding the ball up and making things happen up front, and obviously the fact that he's far from the finished article. I'd alternate between him and Harewood depending on the opposition.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Lovenkrands has shown nothing so far tbf.

:rolleyes:

His only two starts have come playing wide right and wide left and he is not a winger. He has yet to play up front, which is his best position by miles. No wonder he's shown nothing.

His only two starts have come playing wide right and wide left and he is not a winger. He has yet to play up front, which is his best position by miles. No wonder he's shown nothing.

Accepted. Just saying I don't know why he should be a starter up front just yet when we have others who are doing the business.

Thing i like about Carroll are his flick ons, they're just generally very accurate. Reminds me of how shearer used to head or knock balls on for other players.

I think hes got a bright future ahead of him.

As for Ranger, another good performance and so nearly got his goal (before nolan finished it off). Excellent prospect, I think I'd go with Carrol and Marlon up front for now.

Carroll's knock-on for Guthrie against Plymouth, for Nolan's goal, was exceptional. Mad how with so little pace on the ball, with a defender up against him and facing away - he managed to steer it right into Guthrie's path. He's superb in the air.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Accepted. Just saying I don't know why he should be a starter up front just yet when we have others who are doing the business.

Fair comment.

Showing signs of promise, although I thought after his lovely turn in the first couple of minutes he let that go to his head and was very casual for a while afterwards. Definitely has all of the attributes though, yet still to me doesn't look very dangerous. I'd start Harewood next game.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Lucky really to be playing for us, according to Jonathon Pearce and Mark Not Bright he was leader of the bling bling gang and used to shoot up nunnerys and do drive bys on old people's homes. Sorted himself out though.

He's got all the gifts you need to be a really quality center-forward. He's big, strong, fast, good in the air and is technically quite gifted on top of that. He hasn't looked much of a goal threat in most games, but I'm confident enough that he'll come around in that regard.

What he does need though is coaching, you can see how raw he is out there. Once he gets the ball at his feet he's much too lethargic with it, either a guy will nick in and take it off Nile's foot or else he'll faff about and end up getting bogged down.

He needs to play with more urgency when he has the ball at his feet. Create a half a yard of space and take a shot, take the defender on and try to beat him or else lay it back to a teammate and make a run forward.

Be more direct, basically.

When he gets that sorted, he'll be a fucking terror.

Reckon he did enough to earn his place on the teamsheet tonight. When he left the pitch due to some 'inspired' hughton subs things didn't seem quite as slick. Nile has strength and pace in abundance. Granted, a few of the defensive changes made were slightly confusing but i think Nile was a large factor in the gulf between the class of the two teams. I believe if your good enough your old enough and with a few more experienced players like Nolan (provided his work rate tonight is maintained) and Enrique he'll get the goals. It'll probably take time but I don't believe Harewood should be able to just walk into the team. Hope he does well like

He's got all the gifts you need to be a really quality center-forward. He's big, strong, fast, good in the air and is technically quite gifted on top of that. He hasn't looked much of a goal threat in most games, but I'm confident enough that he'll come around in that regard.

What he does need though is coaching, you can see how raw he is out there. Once he gets the ball at his feet he's much too lethargic with it, either a guy will nick in and take it off Nile's foot or else he'll faff about and end up getting bogged down.

He needs to play with more urgency when he has the ball at his feet. Create a half a yard of space and take a shot, take the defender on and try to beat him or else lay it back to a teammate and make a run forward.

Be more direct, basically.

When he gets that sorted, he'll be a fucking terror.

Spot on assessment.

Everyone had said he'd played well without looking like scoring (rightfully), and today he had the early shot and the far post header saved for corners, and the header that would maybe have hit the post or went wide that Nolan nodded in.

Vastly improving, and looks very good at the moment. Hughton is doing a good job of dipping him in and out as well, the best thing to do with talented youngsters

Good post, Shak - you've summed him up perfectly there. Gah... what i'd give to have Alan Shearer there coaching the likes of him and Carroll. There's some serious raw talent to be worked with there. Who better to finetune their obvious skills?

Everyone had said he'd played well without looking like scoring (rightfully), and today he had the early shot and the far post header saved for corners, and the header that would maybe have hit the post or went wide that Nolan nodded in.

Vastly improving, and looks very good at the moment. Hughton is doing a good job of dipping him in and out as well, the best thing to do with talented youngsters

Had a good header saved well by Wright in the first half, too.

He already knows how to use his strength and body properly too, he shields the ball so unbelivably well with his body for someone so young.

Aye, totally skinned that defender before his shot early in the first half in one move.

Nicky Butt was doing the good old five a side trick of playing the ball off the boards (or in his case another player) and managing to find a black and white shirt whilst doing so. :lol:

My favourite five a side trick is actually doing a massive fart when I'm in goal, just before it's time to swap keepers.