Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

I like how he's playing for the team rather than himself. It would be easy for someone so young to get nervous and waste chances trying to get a goal but he's playing very unselfishly at the minute and fair play to him for that.

I can't decide whether his header for Nolan today was a flukey bounce or class assist :lol:

Headed it down and back across the keeper. That deserves the benefit of the doubt IMO. ;)

He's got all the gifts you need to be a really quality center-forward. He's big, strong, fast, good in the air and is technically quite gifted on top of that. He hasn't looked much of a goal threat in most games, but I'm confident enough that he'll come around in that regard.

What he does need though is coaching, you can see how raw he is out there. Once he gets the ball at his feet he's much too lethargic with it, either a guy will nick in and take it off Nile's foot or else he'll faff about and end up getting bogged down.

He needs to play with more urgency when he has the ball at his feet. Create a half a yard of space and take a shot, take the defender on and try to beat him or else lay it back to a teammate and make a run forward.

Be more direct, basically.

When he gets that sorted, he'll be a fucking terror.

Spot on assessment.

Yeah pretty well summed up that. I really like the look of Carroll and Ranger as a pair, they ran the Ipswich defence ragged I thought.

Good post, Shak - you've summed him up perfectly there. Gah... what i'd give to have Alan Shearer there coaching the likes of him and Carroll. There's some serious raw talent to be worked with there. Who better to finetune their obvious skills?

Keegan. ;)

Good post, Shak - you've summed him up perfectly there. Gah... what i'd give to have Alan Shearer there coaching the likes of him and Carroll. There's some serious raw talent to be worked with there. Who better to finetune their obvious skills?

Keegan. ;)

The thought of him getting some sort of coaching off Shearer in the future is frightening.

He is doing better than I ever really expected. He is a talented young player with a few flaws (which they always do). He is getting more chances too, when he finally gets one I can see his confidence rocketing and if playing he will go on a little run.

Been impressed with the lad, he does seem a geniune team player aswell, I have to admit given his past I was worried he would be one of these arrogant little twunts who will be whinging the whole game that he isn't being given chances on a plate but he looks the opposite. That is a positive and a slight negative though, would like him to be a bit more selfish at times.

I think the kid has done great for us since he first came in. He's improving game by game as his confidence grows. :thup: It's hard to know what to do with him now that we also have Harewood available. I'm gonna go with Carroll and Ranger again for Weds again though. Keep faith with him.

Has anoyone else apart from me noticed how Amazing he is at Holding and then Playing the ball into good positions?

:clap:

I have noticed this yeah, a very tough thing to be able to do and usually you only see it done well from the more experienced strikers. We haven't had someone who can do this well for a while and it really shows, the ball doesn't just bounce off the strikers anywhere anymore, he holds it and brings the fullbacks and midfielders into play.

Viduka was good at that and it was something we lacked so much that it was worth playing him in spite of him having the acceleration of an oil rig.  Nice to see someone capable of having the ball stick to him and hold it up who also has some other qualities to bring to the game as well.

Viduka was good at that and it was something we lacked so much that it was worth playing him in spite of him having the acceleration of an oil rig.  Nice to see someone capable of having the ball stick to him and hold it up who also has some other qualities to bring to the game as well.

Viducka was good at it BUT he was not mobile and aslo gave away lots of freekicks for backing in, Nile just seems to be able to bring the ball down hold off his man and play the ball into feet so we keep possesion. That is why when we play a lone striker he is by far our best option.

Guest Slippery Sam

He worries me a bit. He's obviously got strength and power, but he seems to be adopting the Shola-esq lethargic attitude at times which does not bode well for the future imo.

The head across goal which Nolan scored from was atrocious. Headed into the ground and off target. Poor effort.

He had a great chance in the first half from a header, which Wright saved. The ball in from the right was absolutely perfect and Ranger should have BURIED it. No ifs, or buts, it should have been buried. I don't know for certain, but I think Ranger was afraid of getting hurt by the defender whereas a top class striker would have buried the ball in the back of the net and the defender would have been lying in a heap after being clattered by the striker after heading the ball.

Then there was the 'shot' on target in the first half, which Wright saved. Yes, some nice skill to get in the position for the shot, but he completely scuffed what was a fairly easy chance. The thing about this scuff was that I saw him do exactly the same thing during the warm up at SJP; he went to shoot with some force, but completely scuffed a completely unapposed shot. A habit?

I do like the kid, as he does have strength and a certain amount of skill, and I just hope once the first one goes in his confidence rises and he allays my fears. Thing is though, I reckon he's back on the bench now with the arrival of Harewood.

He worries me a bit. He's obviously got strength and power, but he seems to be adopting the Shola-esq lethargic attitude at times which does not bode well for the future imo.

The head across goal which Nolan scored from was atrocious. Headed into the ground and off target. Poor effort.

He had a great chance in the first half from a header, which Wright saved. The ball in from the right was absolutely perfect and Ranger should have BURIED it. No ifs, or buts, it should have been buried. I don't know for certain, but I think Ranger was afraid of getting hurt by the defender whereas a top class striker would have buried the ball in the back of the net and the defender would have been lying in a heap after being clattered by the striker after heading the ball.

Then there was the 'shot' on target in the first half, which Wright saved. Yes, some nice skill to get in the position for the shot, but he completely scuffed what was a fairly easy chance. The thing about this scuff was that I saw him do exactly the same thing during the warm up at SJP; he went to shoot with some force, but completely scuffed a completely unapposed shot. A habit?

I do like the kid, as he does have strength and a certain amount of skill, and I just hope once the first one goes in his confidence rises and he allays my fears. Thing is though, I reckon he's back on the bench now with the arrival of Harewood.

Don't think he has an attitude problem. Maybe lacks confidence in the box and shooting is apparently not his strong point.

Don't think he has an attitude problem. Maybe lacks confidence in the box and shooting is apparently not his strong point.

He did seem a bit too casual after his early chance though.

Casual in his general play?

Aye.

Aye.

Not sure about that. Does seem to be a confidence player, though.

Aye.

Couple of times I thought he got caught dwindling on the ball and not being the most urgent.

I know its a different level but he has scored some absolute crackers in the youth/reserve teams so I have no doubt in his ability to reallt belt one (as I do with say, Shola). I think its all down to confidence and that looks to be growing at a good pace.

I don't think his header was "atrocious" either, the ball bounced just before it got to him and although someone like Shearer would generate the power himself and smash that into the back of the net its no shame/suprise this lad didn't do that. What he did was put it across the keeper which is always going to cause problems and as we know led to a goal. I have no problems/criticism of the choice he made there.

The header Wright save could have been better and the shot in the first half definitely should have been better but I have no worries about this lad.

He would be behind Harewood for me at the moment fighting it out with Carroll to partner him (with Carroll probably edging it at the moment but the kids got potential.

Aye.

Couple of times I thought he got caught dwindling on the ball and not being the most urgent.

Oh, aye, I agree with that. Was more inexperience, I thought, than anything else. Think his attitude has been very good, tbh, and work-rate miles above anything Shola's turned in.

He's still only 18 people, and have very little first team experience :lol: I'm sure it's just nerves which has messed up his chances in front of goal so far, and when he gets his first he'll be str88 like a banana again. On all other aspects than scoring, he's looked rather immense so far. Especially at hold up play.