Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

I don't get the criticising of him like. He had two chances in 20 minutes, he put one away. Can't really complain. He will only improve.

i'm in the middle. i don't get the criticicism of him but don't get the over the top praise from some either.

He's very popular in the ground because he always seems to run his bollocks off I think. I rate him, could be a very decent striker one day. He needs to learn to attack the 6 yard box more to get more goals, some aspects of his game are very impressive given his age mind. Fingers crossed on him.

Does some things well out there.

I worry about him long term though in that he doesn't read the game well at all. I wonder if he's gotten by in the youth ranks based mostly on his physique and a bit of natural ability on the ball. He's so big for his age, and he's not slow by any means either, you can see how he'd simply overwhelm the opposition.

Still time for him to develop, though I generally lean toward the idea that a "football brain" is something that is mostly innate.

Guest Geordiekev

He was garbage  :clap: yeah ok..., offered us more in the 15mins than Caroll offered the entire game, did any of you that slag the lad off follow him in the reserves? Get him some service and he will score goals guarenteed but he'll need more than 10mins if and when it suits Hughton.

Hughton is currently trying to use him as an impact player to win us games, he is doing the lad no favours in terms off goal tally. I'd sooner see him get a couple starts with or without goals just so I could see him play alongside another striker and two good wingers but I'm more than sure he would convert chances.

For him not having a footballing brain then this is hard to judge, he played a couple 90 minutes on his lonesome upfront and provided some excellent balls that were converted into goals thanks to Nolan.

He was used at this time as a holding player was he not? and did the job asked of him very well, we need to see him consistantly start in a 4-4-2 before making judgement, It's hardly fair to grief the lad for a few minutes of play in what was a stale game at best.

Guest Stephen927

I said when I saw him play the first time in the flesh at a home game that he lacks a footballing brain. His offside tonight was criminal, made all the more frustrating by how confident he was in the finish.

He was garbage  :clap: yeah ok..., offered us more in the 15mins than Caroll offered the entire game, did any of you that slag the lad off follow him in the reserves? Get him some service and he will score goals guarenteed but he'll need more than 10mins if and when it suits Hughton.

Hughton is currently trying to use him as an impact player to win us games, he is doing the lad no favours in terms off goal tally. I'd sooner see him get a couple starts with or without goals just so I could see him play alongside another striker and two good wingers but I'm more than sure he would convert chances.

For him not having a footballing brain then this is hard to judge, he played a couple 90 minutes on his lonesome upfront and provided some excellent balls that were converted into goals thanks to Nolan.

He was used at this time as a holding player was he not? and did the job asked of him very well, we need to see him consistantly start in a 4-4-2 before making judgement, It's hardly fair to grief the lad for a few minutes of play in what was a stale game at best.

The game didn't change specifically because of Ranger, more a change in tactics. As soon as we went two up top with natural width we looked much better.

I think if we had a midfield which would provide service Carroll would get more goals than Ranger. Both are average but at least Carroll gets himself into goal scoring positions. Ranger tends to drift out wide and dither on the edge of the box, he also seems reluctant to shoot at times. Both have time to improve but both look like they'll be nothing more than distictly average players.

Guest Geordiekev

I said when I saw him play the first time in the flesh at a home game that he lacks a footballing brain. His offside tonight was criminal, made all the more frustrating by how confident he was in the finish.

It was, but christ how many times does a striker get caught offside in any one game? he only has a few minutes out of the 90 to constantly prove himself and tries his upmost to do this, did we complain on Wednesday night when out of the two chances he was given 1 that went over the bar and another the back of the net.

If he was given 7 chances in 90mins and converted 2 then he'd do for me, sadly we'll never know as Hughton would sooner sit back and defend a draw whilst we have injured players.

We all have our different takes on every player at our club, other than Butt lol so we will always find negatives whereby another finds positives.

Guest Stephen927

I am all for giving him a good run in the team again, btw. I don't think we should treat him as a lost cause at all, he's probably not helped on here by the affinity some on here have with him and his Facebook page. :lol:

I am all for giving him a good run in the team again, btw. I don't think we should treat him as a lost cause at all, he's probably not helped on here by the affinity some on here have with him and his Facebook page. :lol:

That's a bit of an understatement. Skirge is like that Jed bloke who is fascinated with Alan Partridge.

http://b5.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00260/58/23/260263285_s.jpg

1313 fans says different.