Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loven11

NILE RANGER is refusing to get too downhearted about his goal drought, claiming that even Andy Carroll took his time to get off the mark for Newcastle United.

The 20-year-old is eager to start the clash with Birmingham City but Alan Pardew is still toying whether to break up the partnership of Peter Lovenkrands and Shola Ameobi.

Carroll took 17 attempts to get off the mark for United in the Premier League.

And, while Ranger notched in the Championship last term, he is approaching a 23rd game in the Premier League without a top-flight strike.

However, with just one start under his belt in the Premier League, Ranger is optimistic it can come sooner rather than later with the Londoner keen not to roll over into another season without finding the net in the big league.

He told the Chronicle: “People should remember it took Andy a while to get bedded in properly at Newcastle.

“Obviously it is going to be the same for me but I will keep striving for it.

“Andy is at Liverpool and he’s doing it for them and England.

“It’s good for him.

“But I have my own aims.”

Ranger this week thanked Pardew for his patience as he continues to learn the game in the top flight.

The striker was kicked out of Southampton three years ago after a series of misdemeanours and admitted at the start of last season that moving to Newcastle United had helped him to rebuild his life.

But he has found the going tough during his first top-level campaign, even though Carroll’s departure left him a gaping void to step into.

So far it’s a chance that Ranger has failed to grasp.

He said: “Football always offers you a chance in games and to step up.

“I want to get starts in games, that will get the confidence levels up and the experience on board.

“Once you get games under your belt – like Andy – you have a chance.”

And when asked if he was near to a start against the Blues, he said: “You never know what the manager is thinking.

“We’re safe so this could be the chance to get a game and from the start.”

Ranger has settled into life on Tyneside and has been well received.

Now he wants to make sure that local pride is preserved in the final few games of the season.

Ranger concluded: “There’s so much to play for still.

“Finishing ahead of our rivals is one thing and to do it ahead of Sunderland would be great.

“I’ve been up here three years now so I know that they’re passionate about it.

“The rivalry is fierce and it’s our duty to finish ahead of the Mackems.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/05/06/ranger-it-took-andy-carroll-time-to-score-too-72703-28646284/2/

Guest Roger Kint

Carroll scored during his second or third PL start didn't he?

They are conting the 4 sub apps in 06/07, 1 start and 3 subs in 07/08 before the relegation season where he scored so you are right i think it was his 2nd League start when he scored v West Ham

No matter how much running about Nile does, he doesn't really look like scoring. In contrast, Leon best doesn't do as much running but you always fancy he'll have a couple of decent efforts on goal. Ranger needs to decide if he wants to be a Best or a Shola. So far it's looking more like the latter.

From 2006 t0 2001 Carroll scored 31 goals in 80 appearances..... his first team debut in the EUFA Cup that was on 2nd Nov 2006 he was 17.

Premier League debut was on 25th Feb 2007, scored his first, first team goal in a friendly vs Juve in July 2007.

2008–09 season his 1st game was on 20th Oct.. scored his first goal in his first start vs the Hammers in January 2009.

His first league goal in the Championship wad on 16th Sept 2009.

No matter how much running about Nile does, he doesn't really look like scoring. In contrast, Leon best doesn't do as much running but you always fancy he'll have a couple of decent efforts on goal. Ranger needs to decide if he wants to be a Best or a Shola. So far it's looking more like the latter.

Shola doesn't do very much running though, he can't.

Shola doesn't do very much running though, he can't.

I was talking about not looking like scoring rather than running when comparing to Shola. Nile's a handful but with genuine strikers they are always making good runs into goal scoring positions. Shola doesn't and I'm not convinced Ranger does it either. Want to call yourself a striker then you should make the keeper do some work.

Guest Roger Kint

From 2006 t0 2001 Carroll scored 31 goals in 80 appearances..... his first team debut in the EUFA Cup that was on 2nd Nov 2006 he was 17.

Premier League debut was on 25th Feb 2007, scored his first, first team goal in a friendly vs Juve in July 2007.

200809 season his 1st game was on 20th Oct.. scored his first goal in his first start vs the Hammers in January 2009.

His first league goal in the Championship wad on 16th Sept 2009.

First start was away to Everton in May 2008

bit from an interview with lovenkrands in the mail but this made me laugh

‘We were playing Arsenal away and we were warming up in the corner. Nicklas Bendtner came running down and obviously we started talking to each other in Danish.

‘When he ran away again, Nile turned to me and said “do you talk Danish?” and I said “WHAT? What are you talking about?” Then he said “But aren’t you erm, erm...’ And I said “Scottish?” He said “yeah, that’s it”. I couldn’t believe it.

‘All the time I have been here and because of my Scottish accent, he just presumed that is where I was from. Never realised I was Danish. I told all the lads and they have been taking the mick out of him ever since.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1384404/Newcastles-Peter-Lovenkrands-talks-Sportsmail.html#ixzz1Lc0muP00

What a clown. :lol:

I know footballers these days seem to live in a totally different world to the rest of us but I just can't imagine being contracted to a top flight football club and not wanting to know everything about it.

Guest Roger Kint

To be fair the name Lovenkrands sounds very Scottish.

I heard it was on the shortlist before Macbeth was eventually chosen.......

Thats cockneys for you full stop to be fair. 90% would do well to locate Newcastle on a map.

When i was younger i lost count of the number of times i was asked if i was from Scotland when on holiday wearing my toon top. Invariably a southerner.

Guest Heneage

What a clown. :lol:

I know footballers these days seem to live in a totally different world to the rest of us but I just can't imagine being contracted to a top flight football club and not wanting to know everything about it.

I don't even think it's that.

As a professional footballer how do you not know Peter Lovenkrands, your team mate, is Danish. I mean Lovenkrands?! It's hardly fucking McGregor. :lol:

bit from an interview with lovenkrands in the mail but this made me laugh

‘We were playing Arsenal away and we were warming up in the corner. Nicklas Bendtner came running down and obviously we started talking to each other in Danish.

‘When he ran away again, Nile turned to me and said “do you talk Danish?” and I said “WHAT? What are you talking about?” Then he said “But aren’t you erm, erm...’ And I said “Scottish?” He said “yeah, that’s it”. I couldn’t believe it.

‘All the time I have been here and because of my Scottish accent, he just presumed that is where I was from. Never realised I was Danish. I told all the lads and they have been taking the mick out of him ever since.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1384404/Newcastles-Peter-Lovenkrands-talks-Sportsmail.html#ixzz1Lc0muP00

:facepalm: