Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Guest frazernufc

Watching them old videos of him made me realise how much I used to like him, he showed some real potential and always gave 100% when he was played. Then it all went wrong.

Nile ranger ‏@NilePowerRanger

I LOL at the press.. Honestly

Expand  Reply  Retweet  Favorite

Nile ranger ‏@NilePowerRanger

NO1 knows what goes on behind close doors believe me !!

Expand  Reply  Retweet  Favorite

Everyone tweet I ever read from him is either 'no one knows what's really going on' or 'life's hard...' think he needs to spend a few months of doing hard labour or some fucking tiring job so he can realize the privileged position he's in

The progression of his descent is really something to behold. As late as about April 2011, he was considered a top prospect by the club and its fans and was even being upped by Pardew in the media. Less than a year later, in 2012, he was essentially an outcast who was despised by all fans, and by October he was banned from the first team. Amazing that he's ruined all that promise in such a short period of time.

The progression of his descent is really something to behold. As late as about April 2011, he was considered a top prospect by the club and its fans and was even being upped by Pardew in the media. Less than a year later, in 2012, he was essentially an outcast who was despised by all fans, and by October he was banned from the first team. Amazing that he's ruined all that promise in such a short period of time.

Really is amazing when you think about it. He started up front on his own in The Championship despite only being 18, then he had a cameo role in the Premiership that really worked in our favour (Liverpool & Arsenal at SJP being the most prime examples). I remember when he was in for his first start just after Pardew had taken over, but that game at Birmingham was postponed. Maybe things would have been different had he broken through properly.

How he threw it all away is beyond me.

the replies to the  comments on that video are like a parody 

" oi Turnbull79 please tell me how he'll be living in the gutter in 5 years time on 30 bags a week ;) ;) oopssss...sorrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy­yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wedgeddddddddddd bank balanceeeee far from poor :) "

the replies to the  comments on that video are like a parody 

" oi Turnbull79 please tell me how he'll be living in the gutter in 5 years time on 30 bags a week ;) ;) oopssss...sorrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy­yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wedgeddddddddddd bank balanceeeee far from poor :) "

I hope that part isn't true.

:anguish:

Wankers like this actually damage the prospects of the first team, purely because of how scared the club is of wasting pennies.

They created this situation when they did nothing with Barton beating people up in Liverpool and allowing the Steve Taylor assault to go without punishment.  They'll struggle to do anything with Ranger other than to pay his contract up.

Wankers like this actually damage the prospects of the first team, purely because of how scared the club is of wasting pennies.

Dunno like, we still dish out long contracts like they're going out of fashion due to being chronically scared of losing out on transfer fees. Know the point you're making though, surely they should have done some background on the kid before dishing out the contract - like they allegedly do with the new signings.

Dunno like, we still dish out long contracts like they're going out of fashion due to being chronically scared of losing out on transfer fees. Know the point you're making though, surely they should have done some background on the kid before dishing out the contract - like they allegedly do with the new signings.

I'm quite sure his behaviour will have changed significantly. Obviously, he had a few incidents as a youth, you have to remember that he was given the contract under Shearer, which means he would have been a 17 year old just turning 18, and then again under Hughton when just 19. You would have expected him to continue to grow from that time.

I know in the NBA, they often refer to the mid-1990s as being the era of too much too soon. As a result, of the league structure at the time, young players from poor urban backgrounds were being given massively long and incredibly lucrative contracts at the age of 18 or 19 without having ever achieved anything other than showing potential at the lower levels of the game. Coincidentally (or not), the majority of the players from this era failed to fulfill their talent. Many spent themselves into bankruptcy because they didn't know any better, most didn't work hard to improve their game because there was little incentive, and almost all developed big heads and egos that weren't warranted. This guy has many personal issues (most notably that of being a fucking idiot), but those stories remind me of him. He's been handed two considerable cotracts here without having to work hard, and followed suit by continuing to not work hard.